faxing

if my computer is off can i still receive faxes. how do enable this feature?

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/monky32/ said:

> If my computer is off can I still receive faxes? How do enable this feature?

Normally, unless you have a dedicated FAX machine, the PC must be on - and
the FAX program running in receive mode.

It is possible however that some PCs are the exception, or can "wake" when
a FAX is received; check the manual.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

kelly

Off topic, dev ..... but thanks for the critique and advice (site)! :eek:)

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message
> /monky32/ said:
>
>> If my computer is off can I still receive faxes? How do enable this
>> feature?
>
> Normally, unless you have a dedicated FAX machine, the PC must be on - and
> the FAX program running in receive mode.
>
> It is possible however that some PCs are the exception, or can "wake" when
> a FAX is received; check the manual.
>
> --
> For most XP answers and tweaks...
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
> http://support.microsoft.com

If they re-send it a few times until your computer boots.
Modern computers are never really off unless you unplug the
power. You need to set the modem properties to answer a
phone ring. Also, a computer is a lot of hardware just to
send a fax or get one. Why not just buy a stand-alone fax
machine and be done with it.

some support

"monky32" <monky32@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| if my computer is off can i still receive faxes. how do
enable this feature?

Alias

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in

> Also, a computer is a lot of hardware just to
> send a fax or get one. Why not just buy a stand-alone fax
> machine and be done with it.

Let's see, the high cost of fax ink? Spam faxes? The ability to send faxes
as .TIF files via email? I only use my fax machine to send hard copy as
faxes to my computer.
--
Alias