svchost.exe leads to heavy hard disk activity.

It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours, the
"svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and write.
With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that those
I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
"scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?

BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.

Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about svchost leads heavy hard disk activity

    That is not saying much. Notice which process is also reading high CPU
    usage.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "gx" <gx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours,
    > the
    > "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and write.
    > With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that
    > those
    > I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
    > "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?
    >
    > BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Actually, in most of time, the CPU usage is low. Sometimes, the CPU usage on
    svchost will jump to 50% and then drop to zero after 3~5 seconds. I/O
    resources are exclusive. So the system may freeze for I/O not for CPU.

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > That is not saying much. Notice which process is also reading high CPU
    > usage.
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "gx" <gx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours,
    > > the
    > > "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and write.
    > > With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that
    > > those
    > > I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
    > > "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?
    > >
    > > BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    Thanks for the feedback. Run this small tool to see what is running in the
    background:

    Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

    In the meantime:

    Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

    Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

    Added info:

    Run the Task Manager, go to View/Select Columns, and turn on the following
    columns: "I/O Read Bytes" and "I/O Write Bytes." This will give you details
    as to which process is accessing the disk.

    Although many processes will be accessing the disk, look for one with a high
    total or a fast rate of increase, especially when you hear the drive being
    accessed.

    Suggestion: Run the undo on line 367 (right hand side):

    SequoiaView:
    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview

    Hard Disk Performance Is Slower Than You Expect
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308219

    Good luck and keep us posted!

    --

    > Actually, in most of time, the CPU usage is low. Sometimes, the CPU usage
    > on
    > svchost will jump to 50% and then drop to zero after 3~5 seconds. I/O
    > resources are exclusive. So the system may freeze for I/O not for CPU.
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> That is not saying much. Notice which process is also reading high CPU
    >> usage.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "gx" <gx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours,
    >> > the
    >> > "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and
    >> > write.
    >> > With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that
    >> > those
    >> > I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
    >> > "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?
    >> >
    >> > BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

    Are you sure the service is named - scvhost.exe - and not svchost.exe. If
    so, it's spyware! It's a fairly common trick that the bad guys use - I
    wouldn't have noticed it except my google search pointed it out to me.

    If it's svchost.exe, then you'll have to track down the offending program.
    Here's a link to how svchost.exe works in XP that may help you:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

    Good luck!

    gx wrote:
    > It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three
    > hours, the "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O
    > read and write. With the help of procexp.exe (from
    > www.sysinternals.com), I found that those I/O operations are actually
    > caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e. "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is
    > there anyone who is familiar with this?
    >
    > BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Your machine is probably acting as a trojaned server for child porn. If you
    see a car on the curb with small hub-caps, don't answer the door - it's the
    feds.

    Just kidding.

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:53:02 -0700, "gx"
    <gx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours, the
    >"svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and write.
    >With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that those
    >I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
    >"scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?
    >
    >BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
    >
    >Thanks!

    I have the same problem so I would be very grateful if you could post
    any solution you find!

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

    :o) Would they be dressed in Black?

    --

    "HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > gx wrote:
    >> It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three
    >> hours, the "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O
    >> read and write. With the help of procexp.exe (from
    >> www.sysinternals.com), I found that those I/O operations are actually
    >> caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e. "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is
    >> there anyone who is familiar with this?
    >>
    >> BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >
    > Your machine is probably acting as a trojaned server for child porn. If
    > you see a car on the curb with small hub-caps, don't answer the door -
    > it's the feds.
    >

    > Just kidding.

Microsoft Hard Drives Svchost.Exe Windows XP