Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

svchost.exe leads to heavy hard disk activity.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:53:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours, the
"svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and write.
With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that those
I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
"scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?

BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.

Thanks!
July 11, 2005 5:03:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

That is not saying much. Notice which process is also reading high CPU
usage.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"gx" <gx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C65D4C42-0AC0-447C-A8A8-97444D2DC6F3@microsoft.com...
> It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours,
> the
> "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and write.
> With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that
> those
> I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
> "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?
>
> BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:03:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Actually, in most of time, the CPU usage is low. Sometimes, the CPU usage on
svchost will jump to 50% and then drop to zero after 3~5 seconds. I/O
resources are exclusive. So the system may freeze for I/O not for CPU.

"Kelly" wrote:

> That is not saying much. Notice which process is also reading high CPU
> usage.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
>
>
> "gx" <gx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C65D4C42-0AC0-447C-A8A8-97444D2DC6F3@microsoft.com...
> > It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours,
> > the
> > "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and write.
> > With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that
> > those
> > I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
> > "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?
> >
> > BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
>
>
Related resources
July 11, 2005 5:39:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for the feedback. Run this small tool to see what is running in the
background:

Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

In the meantime:

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

Added info:

Run the Task Manager, go to View/Select Columns, and turn on the following
columns: "I/O Read Bytes" and "I/O Write Bytes." This will give you details
as to which process is accessing the disk.

Although many processes will be accessing the disk, look for one with a high
total or a fast rate of increase, especially when you hear the drive being
accessed.

Suggestion: Run the undo on line 367 (right hand side):
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

SequoiaView:
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview

Hard Disk Performance Is Slower Than You Expect
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308219

Good luck and keep us posted!


--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"gx" <gx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A5EA18FD-7765-4C85-BE5C-D0117EDC127F@microsoft.com...
> Actually, in most of time, the CPU usage is low. Sometimes, the CPU usage
> on
> svchost will jump to 50% and then drop to zero after 3~5 seconds. I/O
> resources are exclusive. So the system may freeze for I/O not for CPU.
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> That is not saying much. Notice which process is also reading high CPU
>> usage.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>
>>
>>
>> "gx" <gx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:C65D4C42-0AC0-447C-A8A8-97444D2DC6F3@microsoft.com...
>> > It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours,
>> > the
>> > "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and
>> > write.
>> > With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that
>> > those
>> > I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
>> > "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?
>> >
>> > BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:15:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Are you sure the service is named - scvhost.exe - and not svchost.exe. If
so, it's spyware! It's a fairly common trick that the bad guys use - I
wouldn't have noticed it except my google search pointed it out to me.

If it's svchost.exe, then you'll have to track down the offending program.
Here's a link to how svchost.exe works in XP that may help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

Good luck!

"gx" wrote:

> It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours, the
> "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and write.
> With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that those
> I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
> "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?
>
> BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:37:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

gx wrote:
> It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three
> hours, the "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O
> read and write. With the help of procexp.exe (from
> www.sysinternals.com), I found that those I/O operations are actually
> caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e. "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is
> there anyone who is familiar with this?
>
> BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
>
> Thanks!

Your machine is probably acting as a trojaned server for child porn. If you
see a car on the curb with small hub-caps, don't answer the door - it's the
feds.


Just kidding.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:41:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:53:02 -0700, "gx"
<gx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three hours, the
>"svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O read and write.
>With the help of procexp.exe (from www.sysinternals.com), I found that those
>I/O operations are actually caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e.
>"scvhost -k netsvcs". Is there anyone who is familiar with this?
>
>BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
>
>Thanks!

I have the same problem so I would be very grateful if you could post
any solution you find!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
July 13, 2005 4:15:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

:o ) Would they be dressed in Black?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23Qc$k5ihFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> gx wrote:
>> It seems that my harddisk light is always on. Within only three
>> hours, the "svchost.exe" process has made more than 2.5 gigabytes I/O
>> read and write. With the help of procexp.exe (from
>> www.sysinternals.com), I found that those I/O operations are actually
>> caused by one instance of svchost.exe, i.e. "scvhost -k netsvcs". Is
>> there anyone who is familiar with this?
>>
>> BTW: The OS system is windows XP, SP1 with all patches.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Your machine is probably acting as a trojaned server for child porn. If
> you see a car on the curb with small hub-caps, don't answer the door -
> it's the feds.
>
>
> Just kidding.
>
!