searching & finding text in MSword2.0 files

As it comes from the factory, the search engine that comes with
WinXP-pro does not find text within the old MSword_2.0 documents. I've
tried various suggested fixes, but they don't seem to hold; they seem to
need to be reset everytime I start to do a new search, an uncertain and
time consuming process. These fixes involve changing the preferences for
the indexing service.

The Copernic Desk Top Search engine seems to have the same problem.

Is there a desk top search engine that will reliably find specified text
(i.e. words) within the older MSword_2.0 files?

kelly

Windows XP by default does not come with MS Word. The system you bought may
have, but this is in no way related to Search or any other facet of Windows
XP.

Have you tried Word support, groups and faq's?

In the meantime, added info in general for XP Search:

Go to Search/All Files and Folders/More Advanced Options/Change Indexing
Service/Index unknown file types.

If this doesn't help...

Windows® XP has a known issue for not finding a number of File Types when
you do a Search for Files "containing text" or using the "A word or phrase
in the file" option. This can be remedied for many file types, but not all.

Download the VBS file below. Double click the file you just saved. You'll
be prompted to enter a file extension. If the PersistentHandler value is
correct, no changes will be made. If the PersistentHandler value exists,
but is different, no changes will be made. If no PersistentHandler value
exists, then it will be created.

Enable XP's Search to find text in files:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_persisthandler.vbs

Manual Edit:

To resolve this problem for other file types, install a program that
registers a filter for the file type that you want to search. If no program
that provides a filter is available, you can use the plain text filter for a
file type.

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and add a PersistentHandler key under the file type
key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and set its (Default) string value name to the
following value: {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

For example, to use the text filter provider for .pas files, the following
registry setting should exist:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zzz\PersistentHandler\(Default) =
{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

After you add this value to the registry, you must log off and then log back
on to make the change take effect.

Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q309173
--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Kelly wrote:
> Windows XP by default does not come with MS Word. The system you bought may
> have, but this is in no way related to Search or any other facet of Windows
> XP.
>
> Have you tried Word support, groups and faq's?
>
> In the meantime, added info in general for XP Search:
>
> Go to Search/All Files and Folders/More Advanced Options/Change Indexing
> Service/Index unknown file types.
>
> If this doesn't help...
>
> Windows® XP has a known issue for not finding a number of File Types when
> you do a Search for Files "containing text" or using the "A word or phrase
> in the file" option. This can be remedied for many file types, but not all.
>
> Download the VBS file below. Double click the file you just saved. You'll
> be prompted to enter a file extension. If the PersistentHandler value is
> correct, no changes will be made. If the PersistentHandler value exists,
> but is different, no changes will be made. If no PersistentHandler value
> exists, then it will be created.
>
> Enable XP's Search to find text in files:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_persisthandler.vbs
>
> Manual Edit:
>
> To resolve this problem for other file types, install a program that
> registers a filter for the file type that you want to search. If no program
> that provides a filter is available, you can use the plain text filter for a
> file type.
>
> Go to Start/Run/Regedit and add a PersistentHandler key under the file type
> key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and set its (Default) string value name to the
> following value: {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}
>
> For example, to use the text filter provider for .pas files, the following
> registry setting should exist:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zzz\PersistentHandler\(Default) =
> {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}
>
> After you add this value to the registry, you must log off and then log back
> on to make the change take effect.
>
> Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q309173

Kelly... thanks for prompt reply..

(1) Let me clarify things further... My operating system is WinXP-pro
updated with SR-2 and all subsequent updates. Purchased separately but
loaded on my computer is Office97 which includes Word97, roughly the
equivalent of Word6. I've posted this question on the Windows Newsgroup
because the problem lies with WinXP; I had no problem finding the older
Word_2.0 files prior to switching to WinXP from Win98SE. However, I
will check postings on the Word newsgroup.

(2) I have reviewed Microsoft's FAQ Q309173 and subsequent add-ons. It
talks about how to add additional application types, as designated by
the .xxx suffix, to the files searched by WinXP. Please note that the
Word_2.0 files have the same suffix, ".doc" as the files generated by
the current version of Word, but somehow WinXP ignores the earlier
Microsoft Word files.

(3) I'm sorry but I did not understand the procedure you outlined for
installation of the "persistent handler" VBS file. I found a text file
when I went to:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_persisthandler.vbs

The text appears to be for inclusion in a visual basic macro, but I'm
uncertain as to what macro. Lacking the Sub xxx() and End Sub commands,
I does not appear to be a stand alone macro.

(4) Obviously a plain text filter should spot text within the old word
documents, but it is not clear to me how I instruct WinXP to use a plain
text filter when searching for files with the .doc suffix. I'm not
really willing to start editing the Registry; I'm too concerned that I
might screw things up even with a back-up copy.

It would seem to me that I'm not the only person with this problem, and
that others would have come up with a relatively easy solution by now.
Any additional comments would be welcome.

Kelly wrote:
> Windows XP by default does not come with MS Word. The system you bought may
> have, but this is in no way related to Search or any other facet of Windows
> XP.
>
> Have you tried Word support, groups and faq's?
>
> In the meantime, added info in general for XP Search:
>
> Go to Search/All Files and Folders/More Advanced Options/Change Indexing
> Service/Index unknown file types.
>
> If this doesn't help...
>
> Windows® XP has a known issue for not finding a number of File Types when
> you do a Search for Files "containing text" or using the "A word or phrase
> in the file" option. This can be remedied for many file types, but not all.
>
> Download the VBS file below. Double click the file you just saved. You'll
> be prompted to enter a file extension. If the PersistentHandler value is
> correct, no changes will be made. If the PersistentHandler value exists,
> but is different, no changes will be made. If no PersistentHandler value
> exists, then it will be created.
>
> Enable XP's Search to find text in files:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_persisthandler.vbs
>
> Manual Edit:
>
> To resolve this problem for other file types, install a program that
> registers a filter for the file type that you want to search. If no program
> that provides a filter is available, you can use the plain text filter for a
> file type.
>
> Go to Start/Run/Regedit and add a PersistentHandler key under the file type
> key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and set its (Default) string value name to the
> following value: {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}
>
> For example, to use the text filter provider for .pas files, the following
> registry setting should exist:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zzz\PersistentHandler\(Default) =
> {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}
>
> After you add this value to the registry, you must log off and then log back
> on to make the change take effect.
>
> Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q309173

Thanks for suggestion to post on WORD newgroup. There Doug Knox
suggested I try program called Agent Ransack (www.agentransack.com) as a
tool for file searching. It's free. It works great. I recommend it as
solid replacement for built in WinXP search program.