Expanding memory of 1999 Notebook

acepak

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2004
I have a Compaq Armada 1700 notebook {1999}PII mmx cpu. Memory is integral 32mb plus 32mb changeable memory stick.Max possible is 160mb.I installed 128mb stick but couldn't get past the windows start-up menu.Anywhere I can download a bios upgrade?Any warnings over upgrading a Bios? A 64mb stick is available as an alternative,would this make any difference to performance,would this computer likely cope without any Bios upgrade?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lot's of junk RAM floating around, I think you found some that isn't up to speed for your chipset. You can find a 128MB module that's GARUNTEED TO WORK <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=Compaq+Armada.&mfr=Compaq&cat=RAM&model=Armada+1700.&submit=Go" target="_new">At Crucial</A>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

acepak

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2004
Thanks Crashman,the stick I have is from Crucial...Compaq/HP do n't support this notebook any more maybe I'll buy a new one...but its a shame I have 45% resources on this one unused.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not all Crucial RAM is compatable with all systems, that's why they have the selector on their site. Are you certain the module you have is the one SPECIFIED for YOUR laptop?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

acepak

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2004
Affirmative,referenced on the Crucial database for that model notebook.Maybe a 64mb stick would work, the top end 128mb seems to have been an addition to the range post-production according to the manual unlike the 32mb and the 64mb.