Build Your Own XGA Projector

Tontwins

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2004
What is the required stage aperture/area? (The size of the glass on the overhead projector) required for a 15" LCD screen. Dose anyone know what the Liesegang (OHP 2510) is? I'm looking at a 3M projector with an 11.25" x 11.25" stage area. And want to know if that will work. Thanks for the input.

greenunicorns

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
Yeah that's a good question. It seems that most projectors are probably gonna cut off some of the screen.

Does anybody know where to find a good resource on how to take the LCD apart as safely as possible? I am totally interested in doing this project but I don't have much experience tearing my stuff apart.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
A good thing to do while taking it apart is going nice and slow while doing it. If something feels like it is requiring to much energy it probably is and there is another way to remove it.

A standard 15" screen requires 9 inches by 12 inches.
A Widescreen 15" inch screen requires approximately 13 inches by 7 1/3 inches.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!

greenunicorns

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
Hm... That's good advice, but still, as an ameture at this stuff, I need more. Does anybody know where one might get some kind of foundation of knowledge about dismantling monitors and handling this kind of sensitive stuff? Also, the guide does not go into great detail about how to reconnect everything once you have taken the monitor apart. Can anybody provide information or a link with information?

I am really into trying this. I have already secured a projector and I am currently pricing LCDs.

nty

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004
the 15" inch LCD are little to big for the overhead projectors wich is obvios with a 11.25"x11.25" stage is just not gonna do it for a 9 inches by 12 inches LCD panel.when you look at the thg_video more closly you can clearly see it,specialy the bottom corners, even tho it can be fixed with a better projector, but you still gonna have to cut the right or left edge of the screen or maybe both wich is the .75 inch you wont be able to see.
anyway I think the 14" inch LCD will work better if you wannt to see the hole picture but Im not so sure about the quality of the most 14" LCD's and response time is kinder high 50ms.
I was thinking about bulding this project mostly for gaming tho like for racing games it would be cool I think but there are many unanswerd questions wich I would like THG to answer.Im sure I could answer it for myself but I think THG has a little more money to waist trying to figure it out,they broght it up anyway...

This is what THG should do;
have someone of the THG US crew build this project in the US using parts that can be easly found here.
use one of the 14"inch LCD of newegg
get one of the easy to find a cheap projectors like The Apollo 3000 wich can be found for little over $160 new or 3M 1650 wich is $162 this setup comes to about 400 bucks wich aint much as long as it works good.
so I think you should do it and let us know how it works out.
like are there any good 14" inch LCD's that would work for this and let you play games on it.
and than somebody from china in the other tred under the name scan mention that the color sucks like you get yellowlish color even tho I did not see it in the video the picture looked very good exept that you could have played somthing else exept STAR TREK.

greenunicorns

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
Yeah, I am in the process of getting the parts to do this. I got a projector on eBay for $51 + $19 s/h. And it's funny that you should mention the monitors on Newegg because that's exactly what I ordered. The cheapest 14" monitor I could find on the net that didn't have some kind of defect. The monitor ended up costing something like $185 including s/h. So that's a total of $255.

All I have to get now is the fan and some foam to place the screen on.

I am very afraid that I will kill the LCD or I will get it apart and not know what to do with it. Is soldering necessary for this project??

I am nervous, but I have friends and family who have offered to assist me, and they seem pretty confident that it will go smoothly.

More specific details from THG would be nice, but SOMEbody's gotta know SOMEthing.

At the very least, I will document my experience, and hopefully it will help somebody.

nty

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004
what kind of projector did you get and how many lumens.it should be over 3000 lumens I guess to get a good brightnes.but you can always upgrade the bulb for more power.
dont be so scared of opening the LCD monitor apart it should not be so hard as long as the panel is not glued to strong or whatever.just try to handel it with care and dont use to much force so you dont brake anything other than that you should be fine.than puting the cables back together should be easy too cuz you can see how it was when you took it apart exept you wonnt be using the shell of the monitor.I have not done this yet but a pretty sure guess is that you wont need to solider anything as long as you dont have to extend the cables,the cables should just plug in.
let us know how it works out and what kind of picture quality you get.

broggiemonster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm currently building one of these (getting the bits together) I picked up a 3m 3700 lumen OHP, and am getting a secondhand 15" TFT tomorrow for £25 or about $40 to some :) . Better to buy a cheap secondhand one as if I screw it up, well I havent lost much....Just take your time taking the lcd apart.
I also bought a couple of Pci slot exhaust fans as once the trim is removed and they are laid on their side...they will look far neater than the tomshardware fan...stick them down with velcro, then when they wear out they can be changed with little or no hassle. To power them I have a spare atx supply and have bought an psu tester which allows the psu to be switched on without a motherboard, so that's all fine...
Should have the projector working by next tuesday...and if it works ok then I'll buy a big screen for it....

oh and as for the 15" screen being too big...you can always run the apps and dvd's in a window to suit the desired size.....

Ray.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Broggiemonster on 12/09/04 06:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jimf28

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2004
I have a question, I was given a tablet notebook pc at work, it allows you to swivel the screen so that it can acts like a writing pad. Could I lay this down on the projector and use it as a screen? I am not familiar with how the projectors work, is the screen to be used facing down on to the glass of the projector or face up?

The tablet pc I have is a Panasonic Toughbook CF18

thanks

Sokar Nox

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I can't find a Monitor without the ribben cable crossing in-front of the screen.. Any suggestions of one I can buy online any where?