I just bought the HP 2140 Netbook. I want to view streaming movies and sports on my 58" Panasonic 1090 TV. I bought cables and even a vga adapter and still can't get picture on tv. Tried using alt Fx-no pic.I tried the s video and RCA video input on front of Yamaha receiver and get nothing. Any help is appreciated.
You can have tons of issues here...but there's one, I think, that undermines them all.
You've got a large HD digital display, and you're feeding it with crappy analog inputs. Does your netbook have an HDMI output? If so, use that.
If not, your problem could be:
1. Don't have the right input selected on the TV
2. Don't have the notebook outputting to VGA
There's not much else, aside from cabling and different setting issues with your receiver, TV, and netbook all in the mess.
You have to understand, though - anything you output from your netbook will not be in HD. The video interface you're using doesn't have that much bandwidth.
I'm assuming that this is the HP Mini and have no HDMI output, and that you have XP Home running on it.
There are a few things that you need to try first.
1. Right click anywhere on the desktop and select properties (or go to the Control Panel and select Display, same thing comes up).
2. Click to Settings Tab (last tab on the right)
3. You should see two squares/rectangles representing monitors/displays.
4. Click on the one with "2" and check the box near the bottom that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".
5. Set the proper resolution for your Panasonic, check the manual to see what the max res the VGA connection will support. Even though your HP can go up to 2048 x 1536 doesn't mean that you should use the max. Maybe go with 1366 x 768 first.
6. Make sure the TV input is set to PC. Click "Apply" to see if you see anything on the screen.
7. Adjust the resolutions setting again if nothing appears, and sometimes you need to switch out of the PC input and back to it to see your HP.