Sign in with
Your question

overclock dell

Last response: in Computer Brands
May 14, 2007 8:39:25 PM

I have a dell dimension 9140 or some name like that.

have pentium 915 d,LGA 775. the pentium 945 is in the mail

I want to beat the bios and overclock.
Many of you seem to love dell's, so how do I achieve this.

Case is huge, dont know anything about power supply, seems to have a lot better cooling system than my gateway or e-machine.

Been a good inexpensive machine, but I want more.
I hate all tech support, but I really hate the limits dell has created. Its my machine. I bought it and if I want to break it I should be allowed.

Never overclocked anything. All I know about it is that i f-uped and bought a dell. So please convince me that it wasnt that big of a mistake

More about : overclock dell

May 14, 2007 9:31:38 PM

I have never seen someone overclock the CPU on a Dell. They lock certain parts of the BIOS to prevent the average user from f-ing up their computer. You can overclock your graphics, however. I do it on my Dimension 8400. Out of curiosity, what chipset is your mobo? you may be able to do better than the D945. If you don't know, download CPU-z off of cpuid.com to find out.

I would recommend that you do a Google search before you give up hope about overclocking.
May 15, 2007 4:15:36 AM

cpu-z says

dell
model 0yc523,
chipset i945p/pl/g/gz
southbridge 82801gb

processor
intel pentium d 820
package 775 lga

does that make any sense?
Related resources
May 15, 2007 3:51:48 PM

Yes, it means that you chipset is an Intel 945 series. This could be good or bad. It may be good because it may mean you can put a Core2Duo in your machine and thus illiminate the need to overclock. It could be bad because it may also not work. If you want to take a chance, go to newegg.com and buy a Core2 and see if it works. If it does, return the D945. If it doesn't, then just return the Core2 for a refund.
May 15, 2007 6:34:59 PM

moved to "need inforamtion on 775 and pent 945
!