Sign in with
Your question

solid state hard drives

Last response: in Storage
November 15, 2004 3:14:17 PM

Do they make an afordible hadr drive that has no moving parts? Maybe a thumdrive that can be setup with a fat table and bootable. I am only looking for a drive size of 1 to 3 gig. Any one have any IDEAS?
November 15, 2004 11:01:01 PM

ALL USB Flash devices can be made bootable. I have an old 16MB CompactFlash card here and put it in my card reader, viola, bootable. You have to "sys" the flash card, and you need a motherboard that supports treating USB drives as bootable devices.

I had a P4C800-E Deluxe that could be set in BIOS to make any USB device the "A" drive. That includes thumb drives. Nice having a 16MB floppy in DOS. From there I could have installed windows had the flash card been large enough.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 16, 2004 12:18:10 AM

The flash drives have nowhere near the speed of a hard drive, tho.

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
Related resources
November 17, 2004 8:51:59 AM

You can buy PCI cards that have loads of DIMM slots (RAM slots), you put, say 2Gb of RAM in them and it acts as a Harddrive.

I think they must be externally powered or something, because obviously you turn off the Pc and all the data would go

November 17, 2004 10:06:37 AM

Man, boot times on that must be sweet.
!