Mac Book Pro OR Pre Built Desktop

ajh1979

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Apple Mac Book Pro OR Pre Built Desktop PC

Either a desktop pc with the full spec below OR a Apple Mac Book Pro 17 inch Core i7 brand new from apple store uk

I know they are both very different but obviously from what the system will be used for its not that demanding in todays market both have their pro’s and cons and I would appreciate the advice and opinions

Please help me decide on which to get the system is to be used for the following and nothing more:

Gaming (WoW Cata / Dawn of War 2 series / Star Craft 2) That’s pretty much the only games ill use this system for ill never use it for Call of duty and those type games as I have a xbox 360 which I prefer to play on for those type of titles.

Dowloading Movies / Music I do ALOT of this

iTunes

Burning DVD’s and CD’s

Streaming downloaded movies with a HD lead to my 50” Plasma TV

Light use of Microsoft Office 2010 (I have my own retail copy)

A lot of web browsing

This is the full spec of the Mac Book Pro:

17-inch: 2.2 GHz
• 2.2GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
• 4GB 1333MHz
• 750GB 5400-rpm1
• Intel HD Graphics 3000
• AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

This is the full spec of the pre built system:

Cooler Master Elite 370 Black ATX Case
Intel Core i7 2600K Processor at 3.4GHz
Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard
8GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
Radeon 6970 2GB Graphics Card
40GB Corsair Force SSD (Cache)
1000GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk
Samsung DVD-RW/Blu-ray Reader Combo Drive
600watt Corsair PSU
Onboard High Definition Audio
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

Included Peripherals:

Asus 24" VS247H Monitor
Chillblast Corded Keyboard and Mouse
Logitech S-220 Speakers

Ports on rear of system: *

6 x USB 2.0 ports
2 x USB 3.0 ports
1 x PS/2 for keyboard
Audio outputs
1 x 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet for network
2 x DVI outputs
1 x Mini HDMI
1 x DisplayPort

Comments and advice would be very much appreciated
Thank You

Hello,

here's my opinion, unless you need a laptop due to space constrains (you don't have a desk, so you'd rather have it sit on your lap) or portability (you want to drag it with you on trip/business/etc)
then get a desktop.
A desktop will have significantly better performance than the laptop, plus, it will probably be about 2x cheaper.

Plus, 5 years down the line you'll want to try new games or something, for which you'll need better hardware. You won't be able to upgrade the GPU in a laptop, and replacing a CPU in a laptop is another can of worms that I'd advise not to open if you don't have to. The desktop you will just open up, take out old part and put in new one. Done deal.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, desktop is a better long time investment as compared a laptop, plus, that desktop will outperform any laptop you can get today with ease.