CD-RW Erase

I am not sure this is the correct place for this question, and if it is not,
please point me in the right direction.

I am unable to erase my CD-RW's. I see there are instructions on how to do
this in Win XP but I don't have the option they show. I am running Windows
XP SP2.

Can someone help please?

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about erase

    One can only erase a CD-RW disc if one has a CD-RW drive installed.
    Do you have a CD-RW drive installed, or only have a CD-R drive?
    Since a CD-R drive is not designed to erase files recored on a CD-RW
    disc, you'll be unable to do so.

    To erase files from a CD:

    1. Open My Computer.
    2. Double-click your CD-RW recording drive. Windows displays the files and folders located on the CD.
    3. Under CD Writing Tasks, click Erase this CD-RW. Windows displays the CD Writing Wizard.
    4. Follow the instructions in the wizard to delete the files on the CD-RW.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Missy" wrote:

    | I am not sure this is the correct place for this question, and if it is not,
    | please point me in the right direction.
    |
    | I am unable to erase my CD-RW's. I see there are instructions on how to do
    | this in Win XP but I don't have the option they show. I am running Windows
    | XP SP2.
    |
    | Can someone help please?
    |
    | Thanks

    Carey,

    I have a LG CD-RW CED 8080B. I tried doing what you said but it doesn't
    give the the option to "Erase this CD-RW". What can I do to fix this
    problem?

    > One can only erase a CD-RW disc if one has a CD-RW drive installed.
    > Do you have a CD-RW drive installed, or only have a CD-R drive?
    > Since a CD-R drive is not designed to erase files recored on a CD-RW
    > disc, you'll be unable to do so.
    >
    > To erase files from a CD:
    >
    > 1. Open My Computer.
    > 2. Double-click your CD-RW recording drive. Windows displays the files and
    > folders located on the CD.
    > 3. Under CD Writing Tasks, click Erase this CD-RW. Windows displays the CD
    > Writing Wizard.
    > 4. Follow the instructions in the wizard to delete the files on the CD-RW.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Missy" wrote:
    >
    > | I am not sure this is the correct place for this question, and if it is
    > not,
    > | please point me in the right direction.
    > |
    > | I am unable to erase my CD-RW's. I see there are instructions on how to
    > do
    > | this in Win XP but I don't have the option they show. I am running
    > Windows
    > | XP SP2.
    > |
    > | Can someone help please?
    > |
    > | Thanks

    The LG CD-RW CED 8080B dates back several years. XP has compatibility issues
    with CD Writers. Were you ever able to erase CD-R/W on XP with it? If so how
    long ago?

    Another option is to use third party CD Writing software. If you only want
    to erase then this simple little app might be for you
    http://ghosthunter.gh.funpic.de/programs/dvd_format.zip Just download, open
    and double click the file. Nothing is installed on your system.

    There are both free and retail programs that work well with XP. Here are a
    couple of decent freeware programs to choose from
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Burnatonce.shtml

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Missy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Carey,
    >
    > I have a LG CD-RW CED 8080B. I tried doing what you said but it doesn't
    > give the the option to "Erase this CD-RW". What can I do to fix this
    > problem?

    >> One can only erase a CD-RW disc if one has a CD-RW drive installed.
    >> Do you have a CD-RW drive installed, or only have a CD-R drive?
    >> Since a CD-R drive is not designed to erase files recored on a CD-RW
    >> disc, you'll be unable to do so.
    >>
    >> To erase files from a CD:
    >>
    >> 1. Open My Computer.
    >> 2. Double-click your CD-RW recording drive. Windows displays the files
    >> and folders located on the CD.
    >> 3. Under CD Writing Tasks, click Erase this CD-RW. Windows displays the
    >> CD Writing Wizard.
    >> 4. Follow the instructions in the wizard to delete the files on the
    >> CD-RW.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Missy" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I am not sure this is the correct place for this question, and if it is
    >> not,
    >> | please point me in the right direction.
    >> |
    >> | I am unable to erase my CD-RW's. I see there are instructions on how
    >> to do
    >> | this in Win XP but I don't have the option they show. I am running
    >> Windows
    >> | XP SP2.
    >> |
    >> | Can someone help please?
    >> |
    >> | Thanks

    Make sure the Windows XP CD Recording service is running:

    1. Go to Start > Run and type: SERVICES.MSC , and hit enter.
    2. Scroll down to IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service.
    3. Right-click on this service and select Properites.
    4. Set the Startup type to Automatic.
    5. Afterward, Start the service.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Missy" wrote:

    | Carey,
    |
    | I have a LG CD-RW CED 8080B. I tried doing what you said but it doesn't
    | give the the option to "Erase this CD-RW". What can I do to fix this
    | problem?

    Harry,

    I have never tried to erase anything before.

    > The LG CD-RW CED 8080B dates back several years. XP has compatibility
    > issues with CD Writers. Were you ever able to erase CD-R/W on XP with it?
    > If so how long ago?
    >
    > Another option is to use third party CD Writing software. If you only want
    > to erase then this simple little app might be for you
    > http://ghosthunter.gh.funpic.de/programs/dvd_format.zip Just download,
    > open and double click the file. Nothing is installed on your system.
    >
    > There are both free and retail programs that work well with XP. Here are a
    > couple of decent freeware programs to choose from
    > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
    > http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Burnatonce.shtml
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Missy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Carey,
    >>
    >> I have a LG CD-RW CED 8080B. I tried doing what you said but it doesn't
    >> give the the option to "Erase this CD-RW". What can I do to fix this
    >> problem?
    >>

    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> One can only erase a CD-RW disc if one has a CD-RW drive installed.
    >>> Do you have a CD-RW drive installed, or only have a CD-R drive?
    >>> Since a CD-R drive is not designed to erase files recored on a CD-RW
    >>> disc, you'll be unable to do so.
    >>>
    >>> To erase files from a CD:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Open My Computer.
    >>> 2. Double-click your CD-RW recording drive. Windows displays the files
    >>> and folders located on the CD.
    >>> 3. Under CD Writing Tasks, click Erase this CD-RW. Windows displays the
    >>> CD Writing Wizard.
    >>> 4. Follow the instructions in the wizard to delete the files on the
    >>> CD-RW.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Carey Frisch
    >>> Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>>
    >>> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    >>>
    >>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    >>> is not,

    >>> to do
    >>> Windows

    When you double-click the CD-RW drive icon in MY Computer, the Window
    which then opens is probably set to the wrong view so you can't see the
    'Tasks' pane on the left hand side. try this;

    Double-click the cd-rw drive in 'My Computer'.
    In the cd-rw drive window, click the 'View' menu at the top.
    Move mouse down to the 'Explorer Bar' sub-menu.
    If one of the following items here are ticked (Search, Favorites,
    Media, History, Folder), click on it to remove the tick.
    You should now see the 'Tasks' pane on the left side of the window,
    with "CD Writing Tasks" at the top. The erase option will be shown
    there.

    --
    pip22
    pip22's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/member.php?userid=432

    the "CD Writing Tasks" pane is showing. Can CD-R's be erased?

    "pip22" <pip22.1s0d9y@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message

    > When you double-click the CD-RW drive icon in MY Computer, the Window
    > which then opens is probably set to the wrong view so you can't see the
    > 'Tasks' pane on the left hand side. try this;
    >
    > Double-click the cd-rw drive in 'My Computer'.
    > In the cd-rw drive window, click the 'View' menu at the top.
    > Move mouse down to the 'Explorer Bar' sub-menu.
    > If one of the following items here are ticked (Search, Favorites,
    > Media, History, Folder), click on it to remove the tick.
    > You should now see the 'Tasks' pane on the left side of the window,
    > with "CD Writing Tasks" at the top. The erase option will be shown
    > there.
    >

    > --
    > pip22
    > pip22's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/member.php?userid=432
    > View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809306

    Only CD-RW discs can be erased, not CD-R discs.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Missy" wrote:

    | the "CD Writing Tasks" pane is showing. Can CD-R's be erased?

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote

    > Only CD-RW discs can be erased, not CD-R discs.

    And, correct me if I'm wrong, WinXP's native burning
    software doesn't treat CD-RW disks as rewritable because
    it's not packet-writing software.

    Short of installing packet-writing software, the only way
    for a WinXP user to "erase" a CD-RW disk is to break it in
    half.

    --
    Bob

    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com

    Windows XP's native CD Recording program can indeed erase an entire CD-RW disc.
    However, it cannot erase individual files from a CD-RW disc as packet writing
    is not included with this basic program.

    Cannot Delete Individual Files from a CD-RW Disc in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294883

    How To Erase Files From a CD-RW Disc in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306641

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Opinicus" wrote:

    | And, correct me if I'm wrong, WinXP's native burning
    | software doesn't treat CD-RW disks as rewritable because
    | it's not packet-writing software.
    |
    | Short of installing packet-writing software, the only way
    | for a WinXP user to "erase" a CD-RW disk is to break it in
    | half.
    |
    | --
    | Bob

Windows XP Microsoft CD-Rom