failure to defragment

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I am running winXP sp2. Since installing SP2 update I am unable to defrag my HDD. I have tried using VoptXP, Perfictdisk 7.0, windows defragmenter and some strange program called buzzsaw. None of these are able to defragment the disk. I have tried to shut down all unneeded processes including antivirus. Each time there is no change or the drive is worse. I have tried everything other than a preboot defrag and I will try that tonight before I go to sleep. I don't expect that to be successful either. At first I thought it might be a virus but a scan found nothing. Anyone have any idea what might be happening here?

rigit

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
Well I tried a preboot defrag no luck. I am getting concerned since there are no replys. If you guys have no idea then most likely no one does.

rigit

OK first of all what are your system specs please?

Main reason for asking for system specs is to find out if you're running an AMD 64bit CPU, in either a Desktop or Mobile Laptop?

Have you used the feature in VoptXP where VoptXP takes control of the machine and does a forced shutdown and defrag? Its the Clean Restart feature under the Tools tab.

Disregarding the fact of SP2 being on the machine and the things you've already done to resolve the issue, if SP2 itself is not the problem then Spyware could have something to do with it.

I'm 4ryan6 and I approved this message! :smile:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 11/17/04 12:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
system specs:
ECS K7S5A mobo
AMD Atholon XP 1700+
512MB PC133 SDRAM
WD HDD 30GB

I have searched for spyware with spybot S&D nothing found. I am continuing to search for this thing on my own but I am running out of ideas.

rigit

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
Yes I did try vopt's clean restart and at first it failed as well. As a last ditch effort I tried it again though and it worked. Disk health improved to very good. It seems to be refragmenting quickly though. I'll have to watch it. Thanks for the help.

rigit