Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why do externals make a clicking sound

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 12, 2012 5:46:46 AM

I have an external, 931 gigs holding right now around 500 gigs..This last few days when I plug it into my pc, I hear a clicking sound coming from it. It will go for awhile then stop? I have had it for awhile now and never heard it doing that before? I was concerned as I have quit a few years of gathered music on it..I still have 416 gigs free on the external. Do you know why it is clicking?
It clicks then stops for awhile???
Thanks foethe concern...MC
September 12, 2012 5:51:12 AM

I recommend you back up your data immediately and replace the drive.
m
l
a c 232 $ Windows 7
September 12, 2012 12:20:36 PM

I wouldn't replace the drive just yet, but I would have backups... even if it wasn't clicking. If it's important enough for you not to lose, you should always have backups.

ALL HARD DRIVES FAIL EVENTUALLY. MAKE BACKUPS!

The number one question asked in the storage section is "how do I get my files back?" It amazes me that these people never backup their data then cry when it's gone.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2012 12:29:38 PM

Clicking drives are usually a bad sign. It is likely not to last too much longer. I would make sure you have a backup, and then not trust it for anything you want to keep.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2012 1:14:31 PM

All drives click as the heads are put in to position on startup, shutdown or when idling. A drive constantly clicking is a sign that it may be having issues.
September 19, 2012 12:17:22 AM

This is my first external, and I am blonde to boot. Does that tell you something? lol Thanks I will back my files up for sure, just in case. Appreciate your reply...
m
l
September 19, 2012 12:22:57 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
I wouldn't replace the drive just yet, but I would have backups... even if it wasn't clicking. If it's important enough for you not to lose, you should always have backups.

ALL HARD DRIVES FAIL EVENTUALLY. MAKE BACKUPS!

The number one question asked in the storage section is "how do I get my files back?" It amazes me that these people never backup their data then cry when it's gone.

Thank you Hawkeye ....Will backup my external for sure.
Appreciate your concern and time
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:46:57 AM

Best answer selected by minnie_6.
m
l
!