Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Lock Desktop Icons

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 9:51:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
will be three users with their own logons.

How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
on the left, some across the top and some at the right.

Thanks,


--
Don
Vancouver, USA

More about : lock desktop icons

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 10:55:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Don Schmidt wrote:
>
> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
> will be three users with their own logons.
>
> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.

I've been using a small program, called "WinTidy."

I'll send you a copy!

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 12:10:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Notan,

My real address is:

dschmidtATpacifierDOTcom <== change the obvious


--
Don
Vancouver, USA


"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
news:42D26C40.2D2502BB@ddress.com...
> Don Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
>> will be three users with their own logons.
>>
>> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
>> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
>> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some
>> Icons
>> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
>
> I've been using a small program, called "WinTidy."
>
> I'll send you a copy!
>
> Notan
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 1:13:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | UNCheck: AutoArrange

AutoArrange
[[Arranges the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:11d4qqihqje0278@corp.supernews.com,
Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:
> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
> will be three users with their own logons.
>
> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 3:14:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Don Schmidt wrote:

> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
> will be three users with their own logons.
>
> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.

First thing to try--right-click on an empty area of the desktop, move the
mouse pointer over "arrange icons by" and see if "auto arrange" is
checked--if so then uncheck it by clicking on it once and your icons should
stay where you put them.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 8:17:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

IconRestore....

http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

Right click on 'My Computer' then gives 'save icon layout' and 'restore icon
layout' options....

Very handy utility....

Guy

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
news:11d4qqihqje0278@corp.supernews.com...
> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
> will be three users with their own logons.
>
> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA
>
July 12, 2005 11:07:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

SP3 ?

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
news:11d4qqihqje0278@corp.supernews.com...
> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
> will be three users with their own logons.
>
> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2005 1:17:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you've set up three user accounts (the log-on screen shows three icons)
then whatever one user does on his/her desktop shouldn't have any effect on
the other user's desktops. In other words, your icons shouldn't be effected
by someone else logging on or off, or even by using the "Switch User" option
to log a different user on without logging the current user off.

Just as an experiment, click the Start button and go to Control Panel -->
User Accounts. If your daughter's account has administrator status, create
a new account with "limited" status and play around with moving it's desktop
icons to see if you get the same problem of icons on your desktop moving.

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
news:11d4qqihqje0278@corp.supernews.com...
> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
> will be three users with their own logons.
>
> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some Icons
> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2005 1:17:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks. It is now working just as you say.


--
Don
Vancouver, USA


"T. Belden" <nospam@isp.not> wrote in message
news:jsednZyx2f6KKkDfRVn-gg@gbronline.com...
> If you've set up three user accounts (the log-on screen shows three icons)
> then whatever one user does on his/her desktop shouldn't have any effect
> on
> the other user's desktops. In other words, your icons shouldn't be
> effected
> by someone else logging on or off, or even by using the "Switch User"
> option
> to log a different user on without logging the current user off.
>
> Just as an experiment, click the Start button and go to Control Panel -->
> User Accounts. If your daughter's account has administrator status,
> create
> a new account with "limited" status and play around with moving it's
> desktop
> icons to see if you get the same problem of icons on your desktop moving.
>
> "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
> news:11d4qqihqje0278@corp.supernews.com...
>> We have a new laptop with Windows XP/SP 3 and are setting it up so there
>> will be three users with their own logons.
>>
>> How do you lock the Desktop Icons so each user has the display wanted.
>> Presently, when my daughter logs on and then off, I logon and all of my
>> Desktop Icons are rearranged to the left of the screen. I want some
>> Icons
>> on the left, some across the top and some at the right.
>
>
!