Psu or mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaglabs

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hello,my pc experienced a lightning surge even though it was plugged in a surge protector (which was fried too). Now it won't even power on. The led on the mobo is lit but the green light at the front of the case will not come on. When I jumped the green wire and one of the black wire in the psu connector (after removing it from the mobo) the psu fan worked. When I reconnected the psu to the mobo nothing happens. What is the likely problem?

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Most likely the motherboard is damaged.

There is no surge protector that will work against a lightning strike (millions of volts).

During thunderstorms, I unplug all my computers from the wall outlets (I do have Isobar Tripp-Lite surge protectors in the event of minor problems).
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Most likely the motherboard is damaged.

There is no surge protector that will work against a lightning strike (millions of volts).

During thunderstorms, I unplug all my computers from the wall outlets (I do have Isobar Tripp-Lite surge protectors in the event of minor problems).

Solution

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I'd say your MOBO is damaged. The greed LED on the mobo usually means that the PWR_SW is working, but not much else. It'd be very good if you could connect another PSU to your MOBO to make that sure.

Ubrales is right. Just plug off your computer during storms and enjoy the nice sound of the rain outside :D

diaglsbs

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Thanks Ubrales. It was the MOBO. A replacement from Dell solved the problem. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Glad it worked out! One important point; make sure you perform frequent, regular backups. This is a must for all computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.