I'm a Newby at this type of thing, any pointers?

Hello.

I've only just started on Interactive fiction in the last few months,
and very fun it is. I've read various newby starter guides and
downloaded the appropriate programmes. However now I'm finding there's
so much If out there I don't know what to play!
I've finnished a few games, Andrew Plotkin's Dreamhold, and some games
by Paul Obrian, but usually I find myself getting severely stuck and
needing a hints system of some sort, for example I'm now stuck on Paul
Obrian's game Lash because I can't find the combination for the lock,
or the right tune on the harmonica to open the sonic locked safe.
Some help would be much appreciated.
Also, if anyone can reccommend something to play, I'd be greatfull.
thanks.

> Also, if anyone can recommend something to play, I'd be grateful.
> thanks.

Well it depends on what you like. My own favorites are Emily Short's
conversational pieces, Galatea, Pytho's Mask, and City of Secrets,
Quinton Stone's Scavenger, Ian Finley's Babel, and Michael J. Roberts'
The Plant. Certainly they're all well regarded pieces of Modern IF and
a good introduction to the conventions of the genre, especially City of
Secrets.

http://www.ifratings.com is my favorite list of games since you can
search the rated listings by multiple factors and find things which
interest you specifically.

Cirk R. Bejnar

Thanks people, that's handy. I'm sort of generally interested in
fantasy,, though more the Rpg exploring a world type of stuff than the
cave crawl find treasures sort. But i'll try just about anything,
particularly things with good writing style and atmosphere.
I'll search for lash and see what i can find.

Dark empathy wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've only just started on Interactive fiction in the last few months,
> and very fun it is. I've read various newby starter guides and
> downloaded the appropriate programmes. However now I'm finding there's
> so much If out there I don't know what to play!
> I've finnished a few games, Andrew Plotkin's Dreamhold, and some games
> by Paul Obrian, but usually I find myself getting severely stuck and
> needing a hints system of some sort, for example I'm now stuck on Paul
> Obrian's game Lash because I can't find the combination for the lock,
> or the right tune on the harmonica to open the sonic locked safe.
> Some help would be much appreciated.
> Also, if anyone can reccommend something to play, I'd be greatfull.
> thanks.

Major website to look at:

PARSIFAL: http://www.firthworks.com/roger/parsifal/

Most of what is worth looking at is listed there (all in one) :)

Kind Regards,
RootShell

--
RootShell, Lisbon, Portugal, Europe, Earth ;)
To protect against spam, the address in the "From:" header is not valid.

"Dark empathy" <luke.hewitt@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

>Hello.

Hi.

>I've only just started on Interactive fiction in the last few months,
>and very fun it is. I've read various newby starter guides and
>downloaded the appropriate programmes. However now I'm finding there's
>so much If out there I don't know what to play!

:)

>I've finnished a few games, Andrew Plotkin's Dreamhold, and some games
>by Paul Obrian, but usually I find myself getting severely stuck and
>needing a hints system of some sort, for example I'm now stuck on Paul
>Obrian's game Lash because I can't find the combination for the lock,
>or the right tune on the harmonica to open the sonic locked safe.
>Some help would be much appreciated.

I think almost everybody gets stuck on the combination lock puzzle. ;)
Just search rec.games.int-fiction on Google Groups for "Lash", and
you'll get better hints than I could give you. I'm afraid I can't
remember where you find the clue for the harmonica tune, either;
it's been quite a while since I played the game.

>Also, if anyone can reccommend something to play, I'd be greatfull.
>thanks.

I'd especially recommend _Anchorhead_, because it was one of the first
IF games I played, and it's pretty long and quite atmospheric.

Two random pretty much newbie-friendly favourite games of mine:
_Moments out of Time_ and _BSE_.

But basically all 5-star rated games on Baf's Guide, and most of
the 4-star rated, too. (http://baf.wurb.com/if/)

--
Sophie Frühling

"El arte no viste pantalones."
-- Rubén Darío

Dark empathy wrote:
I'm sort of generally interested in
> fantasy,, though more the Rpg exploring a world type of stuff than
the
> cave crawl find treasures sort.

Couple more recommendations for you based on your preferences:
Augmented Fourth by Brian Uri, World's Apart by Suzanne Britton, and
Once and Future by Kev whatsisname (no offence, Kevin, just can't
remember right now.

On 14/05/2005 10:05, five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of
unreason and Dark empathy spewed up:

> Hello.
>
> I've only just started on Interactive fiction in the last few months,
> and very fun it is. I've read various newby starter guides and
> downloaded the appropriate programmes. However now I'm finding there's
> so much If out there I don't know what to play!
> I've finnished a few games, Andrew Plotkin's Dreamhold, and some games
> by Paul Obrian, but usually I find myself getting severely stuck and
> needing a hints system of some sort, for example I'm now stuck on Paul
> Obrian's game Lash because I can't find the combination for the lock,
> or the right tune on the harmonica to open the sonic locked safe.
> Some help would be much appreciated.
> Also, if anyone can reccommend something to play, I'd be greatfull.
> thanks.

I like Infocom's Hitchhiker's Guide game. I don't know if you will, but
it's free and playable at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml
- hints are available on the website, or you can look at
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/564459.html - the top guide is
by me.

--
John Coxon