How do I encrypt a whole (external) USB harddisc (under Wi..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in order to backup serveral
directories. This works fine. However I would like to encrypt the whole USB harddisc?

What is the best solutions?

I would like to connect to the USB harddisc under Win2000 and WinXP.
The Harddisc is NTFS formatted.

Is Microsofts EFS encrytion system stable?

What other tools are recommendable (under Windows)?
What about BestCrypt and DriveCrypt?

The most important criterias for me are stability and reliability.

Speed and costs are second order.

Frank
8 answers Last reply
More about encrypt external harddisc under

    EFS has more pitfalls than it returns in benefits. You
    can use it, but you have to understand saving certificates
    and license keys. Lost keys/certificates is a fairly common
    issue that appears in XP-Gen. EFS is very secure, so much
    so that many times even the original user can't access it.

    Can't comment on other 3rd-party tools.

    For basic secure backups, you can use the native Zip and
    secure the compressed module with a Password.

    As with any vitally important piece of data - I would not
    consider a simple backup to another magnetic media as adequate.

    "Frank Callone" <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in order to
    > backup serveral
    > directories. This works fine. However I would like to encrypt the whole
    > USB harddisc?
    >
    > What is the best solutions?
    >
    > I would like to connect to the USB harddisc under Win2000 and WinXP.
    > The Harddisc is NTFS formatted.
    >
    > Is Microsofts EFS encrytion system stable?
    >
    > What other tools are recommendable (under Windows)?
    > What about BestCrypt and DriveCrypt?
    >
    > The most important criterias for me are stability and reliability.
    >
    > Speed and costs are second order.
    >
    > Frank

    Steganos Security Suite
    http://www.steganos.com/?product=SSS7&language=en&layout=web2005

    Evaluation Test Version
    http://www.steganos.com/?product=SAFE8&area=download&language=en&layout=web2005

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Frank Callone" wrote:

    | Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in order to backup serveral
    | directories. This works fine. However I would like to encrypt the whole USB harddisc?
    |
    | What is the best solutions?
    |
    | I would like to connect to the USB harddisc under Win2000 and WinXP.
    | The Harddisc is NTFS formatted.
    |
    | Is Microsofts EFS encrytion system stable?
    |
    | What other tools are recommendable (under Windows)?
    | What about BestCrypt and DriveCrypt?
    |
    | The most important criterias for me are stability and reliability.
    |
    | Speed and costs are second order.
    |
    | Frank

    "Frank Callone" <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in order to
    > backup serveral
    > directories. This works fine. However I would like to encrypt the whole
    > USB harddisc?
    >
    > What is the best solutions?
    >
    > I would like to connect to the USB harddisc under Win2000 and WinXP.
    > The Harddisc is NTFS formatted.
    >
    > Is Microsofts EFS encrytion system stable?
    >
    > What other tools are recommendable (under Windows)?
    > What about BestCrypt and DriveCrypt?
    >
    > The most important criterias for me are stability and reliability.
    >
    > Speed and costs are second order.
    >
    > Frank

    EFS will work but you have to be sure you understand and test the recovery
    methods before you use it. It is really designed to work in a domain
    environment but can be made to work outside of a domain. Test the recovery
    options many times on non-critical data before you start using it on
    critical data. Create a test user. Encrypt some files. Delete the user. Try
    to decrypt the files. Until you can do this your data will not be safe. A
    far better method would be to not encrypt the backup at all, but keep it
    under lock and key when not being used. All encryption methods have pitfalls
    for the unwary. The whole point of encryption is to make the data hard to
    get at. That is the last thing you need for a backup.

    Kerry
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You do understand that your usb drive is NOT reliable. It is like a floppy
    diskette. Good today bad tomorrow. It is not even recoverable like with a
    real hard drive.

    Reason I mention this is there was this executive who thought storing all
    his confidencial info on a usb drive was the "smart and secure" way of doing
    things.
    When his usb drive died he lost three years of documentation.

    I have a Lexar Jumpdrive [1gig usb] which comes with a security program that
    allows you to partition the usb drive so that it requires a password for
    access.

    Otherwise I don't have an answer about other encryption products. I tend
    not to use them since losing all access to encrypted data a few years back.

    Frank Callone wrote:

    > Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in order to backup serveral
    > directories. This works fine. However I would like to encrypt the whole USB harddisc?
    >
    > What is the best solutions?
    >
    > I would like to connect to the USB harddisc under Win2000 and WinXP.
    > The Harddisc is NTFS formatted.
    >
    > Is Microsofts EFS encrytion system stable?
    >
    > What other tools are recommendable (under Windows)?
    > What about BestCrypt and DriveCrypt?
    >
    > The most important criterias for me are stability and reliability.
    >
    > Speed and costs are second order.
    Hi,

    I wouldn't touch EFS even with a ten foot pole...

    A friend of mine have tested a free product called TrueCrypt to encrypt
    data on USB sticks, and he was very satisfied.

    TrueCrypt
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

    <quote>
    Free open-source disk encryption for Windows XP/2000/2003

    Main Features:
    * It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it
    as a real disk.
    * It can encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as
    USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.

    </quote>

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    On 11 Jul 2005 13:15:37 GMT, inn200@hotmail.com (Frank Callone) wrote:

    >Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in order to backup serveral
    >directories. This works fine. However I would like to encrypt the whole USB harddisc?
    >
    >What is the best solutions?
    >
    >I would like to connect to the USB harddisc under Win2000 and WinXP.
    >The Harddisc is NTFS formatted.
    >
    >Is Microsofts EFS encrytion system stable?
    >
    >What other tools are recommendable (under Windows)?
    >What about BestCrypt and DriveCrypt?
    >
    >The most important criterias for me are stability and reliability.
    >
    >Speed and costs are second order.
    >
    >Frank

    For what purpose do you need to encrypt the drive? What state secrets
    are you trying to protect?

    inn200@hotmail.com (Frank Callone) wrote in

    > Occasionally I connect an external USB harddisc to my computer in
    > order to backup serveral directories. This works fine. However I
    > would like to encrypt the whole USB harddisc?
    >
    > What is the best solutions?
    >
    > I would like to connect to the USB harddisc under Win2000 and
    > WinXP. The Harddisc is NTFS formatted.
    >
    > Is Microsofts EFS encrytion system stable?
    >
    > What other tools are recommendable (under Windows)?
    > What about BestCrypt and DriveCrypt?

    Do not use Microsoft EFS. The encryption key is tied to your SID and
    should your disk crash and take the SID with it, you will not be able
    to recover your files. It is also not portable across different
    computers.

    I would recommend freeware TrueCrypt. The encryption is tied solely to
    a password you provide and it is portable across systems. It is
    dependable in my experience and it doesn't hurt that it's free. Be
    sure to read the warning in the manual about USB and other flash
    drives... they tend to be less reliable than the encryption program.
    Make sure your only backup doesn't reside on such a device.

    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/truecrypt>

    HTH,
    John

Connection Microsoft External USB Windows XP