Why LCD monitor reviews on Tom's Hardware became so rare?

doblado

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Tom's Hardware has by far the best lcd monitor reviews...what is happening , guys? There are so many models and you do so few reviews.

Are we gonna see something new soon?

realzeus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Since the advent of LCDs it seems that monitors have passed to obscurity. Noone is passionate about them as in the CRT days, perhaps because the image technology has actually deteriorated - find me a TFT that can compete with a G Series Trinitron and I will eat my words! I am appaled by it but monitors have become standardised items - like HDDs.

Traveller

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
There are so many models and you do so few reviews.
Agreed, but on the other hand, Tom's has a review of any given piece of HW on a weekly basis, if even that long, so we can't complain too much... . As implied by Kevin, there are other sites that perform good reviews, if not quite as extensive as Tom's, including

Xbit Labs
PRAD, the "TFT Experts"
BEHardware
Trusted Reviews
(...don't know about the "Trusted" part, but they do review a decent number of displays...)

And while not exactly professional review sites, the following are great sources from fellow community members
TFT Central
LCD Resource and [his] originating thread on AnandTech
Hard Forum

I'm sure it is not a comprehensive listing but should be enough to keep you busy 'till Tom's posts their next Displays review/ showdown :)

Although everyone would love one "single point of contact" for reviews on any given piece of HW, SW, etc., it just isn't possible and thus you have to be a little more flexible with your research tools :)

On a side note, My concern is not a lack of reviews, but the sudden concentration on the 22" market. The 22" class panel (99.9% TN panels) is purely aimed at hi-speed gamers*. This is also a size-before-quality sales pitch and so reviews on all-arounders or even more Media-oriented displays have been far and few between, sniff... :(

*(DM, CTF, etc - where lag and ghosting are not well-tolerated traits of a Display... .On the other hand, these members of of our community don't really care all that much about color fidelity - heck, if it wasn't for PunkBuster, they'ed be playing w/o textures or even in wireframe-mode, lol ;) )

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
This makes no sense! Benoît Dupont is still doing monitor reviews over at THG's French-language site, but they are no longer translated into English. He has written about 12 reviews in the past year, only one of which was translated into English. What's going on here?