Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Zoom version 1.0.2 is finally available for download. This version includes
several bug fixes, and a few minor feature enhancements for the OS X
version.

You can download Zoom from my website:
http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/unix/zoom/
-- Source code
http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/mac/zoom.html
-- Compiled version for Mac OS X

This version will also be making its way to the IF-archive in due course.

Andrew.

Great new :)

I like Zoom very much (both on OSX and on Linux).
Since you've coded it for mac os x, do you think you could make a port
of it for GNUstep (using Gorm and Projectmanager) ? The same version for
linux, but with the nice NeXT menus and such ? I'm asking this also
because it seems you're using WindowMaker as windowmanager.

On mac OSX, could it be possible to add an option not to display a
warning when one close the window during a game ? When one is debugging
a game and need to open / close the same game all the time it's annoying
to confirm twice for closing it. I found it's still possible to use
"killall Zoom" in a terminal, but it's less elegant :)
Eventually, like in WinFrotz, it could be nice to reload a game not with
the one in memory, but with the new compiled one on the hard drive.

Here, Eric Forgeot <checkwebsite_@anamnese.fr.st> wrote:

> On mac OSX, could it be possible to add an option not to display a
> warning when one close the window during a game ? When one is debugging
> a game and need to open / close the same game all the time it's annoying
> to confirm twice for closing it.

Or accept shift-cmd-Q for "force quit".

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

I've just noticed something strange with the new Zoom, on the last beta,
the scrolling was rather o.k., almost smooth. On the latest release, the
scrolling of the text when you enter a command is too jerky, making it
less pleasant to read. (on mac os x)

In article <42890e7a$0$9563$626a14ce@news.free.fr>, Eric Forgeot wrote:
> Great new :)
>
> I like Zoom very much (both on OSX and on Linux).
> Since you've coded it for mac os x, do you think you could make a port
> of it for GNUstep (using Gorm and Projectmanager) ? The same version for
> linux, but with the nice NeXT menus and such ? I'm asking this also
> because it seems you're using WindowMaker as windowmanager.

It's certainly possible, but whether or not I'll ever have time to do this
is another matter.

> On mac OSX, could it be possible to add an option not to display a
> warning when one close the window during a game ? When one is debugging
> a game and need to open / close the same game all the time it's annoying
> to confirm twice for closing it. I found it's still possible to use
> "killall Zoom" in a terminal, but it's less elegant :)

That shouldn't be too hard to add, as this was the way the first versions
behaved when closing the window.

> Eventually, like in WinFrotz, it could be nice to reload a game not with
> the one in memory, but with the new compiled one on the hard drive.

This should also be reasonably easy to add.

As to the 'flicker' effect that you observed: oops, I should have spotted
that. The reason I didn't was that it doesn't occur on many games (at
least on my system): it happens if the upper window is updated, then the
lower window - something that Infocom games did, but something that many
Inform games don't do.

I guess there'll be another release shortly to fix this issue.

Andrew.