Latitude D600 won't turn on

rgm913

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
I have a Dell D600 that will not turn on. When I plug in the power adapter the green light goes out. It also will not run on battery. I was wondering if a broken power jack would cause this. I was having some problem with the power button before so I already ordered a new button board.

Should I replace the power jack or am I barking up a dead tree?

tomsat69

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Yes happens to the dell series around that time. The power jake on the motherboard is fauilty.You need to install a new power jack on to the motherboard.Alot of peaple would rather buy a used working computer that repair.Iknow i have 2 with the same problem lol.

bigfysh3

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
When you push the power button, does it flash? Sometimes that is that the motherboard is grounded out to the chassis. Saw that alot working break/fix at Dell.

jessicalore

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I have a Dell 610 and it is not powering on.

The battery is full charge at the moment.

These are the symptoms.

1. If I tried to turn it with the battery full charge it does not turn on

2. When I connect the DC adapter to the laptop with the full charge battery inserted the green light on the DC adapter just goes off and it does not turn on too.

When I took the DC adapter out, the green light remains off and does not turn on again.
I need to play with the DC adapter for the green light comes on again.

Does anyone what's the problem?

carlcamera

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

Try this: take the battery out, disconnect the power supply, press the power button and let sit for a minute. Then connect just the power supply (not battery) and try to power up. If it works, shut down then power up with just the battery, then reconnect the power supply. This has worked for me.

dco5000

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Did anyone solve why the Dell laptop won't start?

Can you provide a part number, name and source used to replace the defective part?

Can you confirm it is a power switch versus a whole motherboard?

Thank you.

[personal info sold to highest bidder]

cliffk

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

I saw this post, I am currently haveing a problem with my Dell D600, when I press the on button the button and the 3 indicator lights to the left of it flash for a second then stop and the laptop wont fire up, if I apply pressure to the right of the on button or sometimes to the left of the on button it will fire up, once its on all is fine.
Sometimes I have to apply pressure 4 or 5 times before it starts.

Do you have any idea of the cause?

If it helps I have changed the small on button board and this hasnt made any difference.

stevie1119

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

This it a good way to blow your circuit breaker. Don't do this!

You could switch up the order a little bit. disconnect the power supply> take the battery out>press the power button and let sit for a minute.> connect battery> Then connect power supply

freshtc

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Very common fix on Dell laptops. What happens a lot of times is the little rubber underneath the power switch comes unglued from the circuit board. So when you push the power switch, there is nothing underneath the switch to make contact wit hthe actually switch.

Simply take the hing cover off. The piece with the power button, volume buttons etc. You see little black round rubber pieces. A lot of times they are floating around somewhere underneath the cover. Simply use a very small amount of superglue of CA glue to glue them back in place.

rene_10

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

it worked for me (powerglue) on a dell d830 (really, its very very simple)

Thanks for the tip.

Rene de Boer, Alkmaar, Nederland

debraleigh

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Thanks so much for posting the solution! Worked like a charm. I needed to retrieve some info from this old laptop, and I'm so glad I found your post! Saved me lots of time and money, both of which are in short supply for me right now. Thanks again!