Help me, RGIF residents! You're my only hope!

So I'm trying to relive my lost youth, and most of my Apple ][ disks
have gone bad, So there are two programs I'm looking for, neither one of
which is exactly an adventure in a classical sense, but I figure you
folks are still going to be my best resource.

The first one is an early, early Apple II game. Probably 1979. It's
low-res graphics (40x40x16), and it's a 4-level dungeon. You fight your
way to the bottom and the exit. I remember it being fantastically
difficult for a second-grader. What is this?

The second one is probably a little later. "Death Maze" is what's being
suggested to me by my brain. It's a first-person maze game, sort of
like Wizardry, except it's more a puzzle game. I never got much of
anywhere in it. There was a calculator, with some digits visible, and
if you cleaned it you'd get another digit, and there was a guillotine
that whacked your head off if you went under it. Does this ring any
bells for anyone?

Finally: is there a walkthrough or a notes site, or ANYTHING, for the
good old Apple ][ "The Prisoner"? I *know* I once got pretty far in
this, but now I find myself traversing the initial maze, and then
without anything to do but hit W twice and do it again.

Adam

Giles

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

Death Maze 5000 - similar to the Asylum and Asylum II games. MED
Systems, IIRC. I played it on the TRS-80 but a little judicious
googling tells me it came out later on the Apple.

-Giles

Here, Adam Thornton <adam@fsf.net> wrote:
> So I'm trying to relive my lost youth, and most of my Apple ][ disks
> have gone bad, So there are two programs I'm looking for, neither one of
> which is exactly an adventure in a classical sense, but I figure you
> folks are still going to be my best resource.
>
> The first one is an early, early Apple II game. Probably 1979. It's
> low-res graphics (40x40x16), and it's a 4-level dungeon. You fight your
> way to the bottom and the exit. I remember it being fantastically
> difficult for a second-grader. What is this?

"Beneath Apple Manor"?

> Finally: is there a walkthrough or a notes site, or ANYTHING, for
> the good old Apple ][ "The Prisoner"? I *know* I once got pretty far
> in this, but now I find myself traversing the initial maze, and then
> without anything to do but hit W twice and do it again.

Not sure what you're asking. After you leave the initial cell-maze,
you should be among twenty buildings (shown four to a screen), each
with a door on the east side. Is that not what you're seeing?

Did you start a new game from scratch? (The "choose a city" routine.)
If you're starting in the middle of someone's saved game, things might
be weird.

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

In article <d6b5ij$psk$2@reader1.panix.com>,
Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
>Here, Adam Thornton <adam@fsf.net> wrote:
>> The first one is an early, early Apple II game. Probably 1979. It's
>> low-res graphics (40x40x16), and it's a 4-level dungeon. You fight your
>> way to the bottom and the exit. I remember it being fantastically
>> difficult for a second-grader. What is this?
>
>"Beneath Apple Manor"?

Maybe. Unfortunately all I can find is the hi-res remake. Syndicomm
apparently got free redistribution rights to it, but they've never made
it available as far as I can tell.

No bells ringing on the Hi-Res Death Maze?

>> Finally: is there a walkthrough or a notes site, or ANYTHING, for
>> the good old Apple ][ "The Prisoner"? I *know* I once got pretty far
>> in this, but now I find myself traversing the initial maze, and then
>> without anything to do but hit W twice and do it again.
>
>Not sure what you're asking. After you leave the initial cell-maze,
>you should be among twenty buildings (shown four to a screen), each
>with a door on the east side. Is that not what you're seeing?

Oh, I'm on crack. NSEW. Ne'mind.

Adam

In article <1116301944.074562.156960@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Giles <gboutel@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>Death Maze 5000 - similar to the Asylum and Asylum II games. MED
>Systems, IIRC. I played it on the TRS-80 but a little judicious
>googling tells me it came out later on the Apple.

Thank you, sir. You are a true gentleman.

I even have a TRS-80 Model IV I bought last week for $25.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. A minor detail.

I can probably figure out a Model IV emulator if I cannot find an Apple
disk image of it.

Adam

adam@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote in message news:<d6dfuf$98n$1@localhost.localdomain>...
> In article <1116301944.074562.156960@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Giles <gboutel@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> >Death Maze 5000 - similar to the Asylum and Asylum II games. MED
> >Systems, IIRC. I played it on the TRS-80 but a little judicious
> >googling tells me it came out later on the Apple.
>
> Thank you, sir. You are a true gentleman.
>
> I even have a TRS-80 Model IV I bought last week for $25.
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't work. A minor detail.
>
> I can probably figure out a Model IV emulator if I cannot find an Apple
> disk image of it.

Will you be my Space Moose tonight, my hairy beast between the sheets?

Adam Thornton wrote:
> In article <51463662.0505181328.15b93928@posting.google.com>,
> Daniel Urtiz <toko@dr.com> wrote:
> >Will you be my Space Moose tonight, my hairy beast between the
sheets?

> Must I be? I'm kinda busy, seeing as how I found Death Maze 5000 for
> the Apple ][ and, well....

I think Adam is put off, as are we all, by the implication that he is
*your* hairy beast. No-one *owns* Adam Thornton! He is an untamed beast
and must be treated as such.

> Also: anyone know where to find "Beneath Apple Manor," the low-res
> version? Don Worth no longer has it. Rumor had it that it was on
the
> DOS 3.3 System Master, but it isn't; it might be on the DOS 3.3
BASICS
> disk which came with the system for a while, but I can't find that
> image. It's probably just because I don't quite know what to look
for
> at Asimov. It's not on the 3.2 System Master, nor is it on the
> Applesoft Sampler that came with slightly later DOS 3.3.
>
> Adam

Underdogs has a version for IBM and one for Apple ][, and a link to the
creator's site, which I *highly* reccomend. Besides computers, he likes
metal bands, and the Civil War. Rock on, Space Moose, rock on.
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4296

"JohnnyMrNinja" <JohnnyMrNinja@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<1116543676.902738.52840@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
> Adam Thornton wrote:
> > In article <51463662.0505181328.15b93928@posting.google.com>,
> > Daniel Urtiz <toko@dr.com> wrote:
> > >Will you be my Space Moose tonight, my hairy beast between the
> sheets?
> >
> > Must I be? I'm kinda busy, seeing as how I found Death Maze 5000 for
> > the Apple ][ and, well....
>
> I think Adam is put off, as are we all, by the implication that he is
> *your* hairy beast. No-one *owns* Adam Thornton! He is an untamed beast
> and must be treated as such.

No claims of ownership. No jealousy. No possessiveness. No love. I'll
feed him, play with him, then return him to his own habitat. I won't
be gentle, but I won't force him either. We'll move from peacock
feathers to abject humiliation; from coddling to playful abuse; from
caviar tartlets to filth. The pain will frame the pleasure, give it
edge. The humiliation will make surrender deep, tender, long-lasting.

In article <1116543676.902738.52840@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
JohnnyMrNinja <JohnnyMrNinja@gmail.com> wrote:
>Underdogs has a version for IBM and one for Apple ][, and a link to the
>creator's site, which I *highly* reccomend. Besides computers, he likes
>metal bands, and the Civil War. Rock on, Space Moose, rock on.
>http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4296

Yeah. Alas, that's the hi-res version, and that's all Don Worth, the
creator, has anymore.

Adam

In article <51463662.0505231034.62114cad@posting.google.com>,
Daniel Urtiz <toko@dr.com> wrote:
>"JohnnyMrNinja" <JohnnyMrNinja@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Adam Thornton wrote:
>> sheets?
>> > Must I be? I'm kinda busy, seeing as how I found Death Maze 5000 for
>> > the Apple ][ and, well....
>> I think Adam is put off, as are we all, by the implication that he is
>> *your* hairy beast. No-one *owns* Adam Thornton! He is an untamed beast
>> and must be treated as such.
>No claims of ownership. No jealousy. No possessiveness. No love. I'll
>feed him, play with him, then return him to his own habitat. I won't
>be gentle, but I won't force him either. We'll move from peacock
>feathers to abject humiliation; from coddling to playful abuse; from
>caviar tartlets to filth. The pain will frame the pleasure, give it
>edge. The humiliation will make surrender deep, tender, long-lasting.

Stop! Stop! You're making me blush!

Adam