Read-only Access

Currently having a problem that once I have taken the read only off for a
folder, the next time I open it it is read only again. I have checked all the
know places for such a setting and am logged in correctly. Any hints and tips
please!
3 answers Last reply
More about read only access

    Read-only means nothing for folders. Only a file can be Read-only.

    The Read-only check box for folders is there for convenience, it allows you
    to change the Read-only attribute of all the files contained in that folder.
    ---

    [[Apply the read-only attribute to folder contents

    A folder itself cannot be made read-only. Nevertheless, the properties
    dialog box for a folder does include a read-only check box. You can use
    this check box to set or clear the read-only attribute for all existing
    files in the selected folder. This action has no bearing on files that you
    create subsequently.

    In most cases, when you open the properties dialog box for a folder, the
    Read-Only check box will contain a green square. This indicates either a
    mixed or undetermined condition. Windows displays this green square because
    it would take too long to check the state of the read-only attribute for
    every file in the folder. To apply the read-only attribute to the contents
    of a folder, click the check box until a check mark appears. To clear the
    attribute, click the check box until it is empty. When you leave the dialog
    box, Windows asks whether you want to apply your action to subfolders and
    files. Be sure you select this option; if you select Apply Changes To This
    Folder Only, nothing at all happens.]]
    From...
    Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out Deluxe, Second Edition
    Author Ed Bott, Carl Siechert, Craig Stinson
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=216cbfc3-ff30-42db-9c32-995a75dfafbe&type=ovr

    -----

    [[Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
    folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
    and other programs.]]

    [[The Read-only check box for folders is not available because it does not
    apply to the folder. You can use this check box to set the Read-only
    attribute for files in the folder.]]

    Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:D370900B-B11A-4A5E-AE73-68B038706E68@microsoft.com,
    Patrick <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Patrick <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Currently having a problem that once I have taken the read only
    > off
    > for a folder, the next time I open it it is read only again. I
    > have
    > checked all the know places for such a setting and am logged in
    > correctly. Any hints and tips please!

    If you'll look more closely at the check mark in that Read-Only
    box, you'll see that it's gray, not black. You can also verify
    this by clicking a few times in the box; it will cycle among
    *three* states: unchecked, checked in black, and checked in gray.

    A black check means the item is read-only and an unchecked box
    means it's not read-only. But the gray check means that it's
    neither: the read-only attribute is not pertinent to folders.

    So no, your folders aren't read-only, and what you are seeing is
    perfectly normal. There's nothing to worry about and nothing to
    fix.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    As you found out, you can't remove them from folders, only files, which is
    perfectly normal.
    --
    Alias

    "Patrick" wrote

    > Currently having a problem that once I have taken the read only off for a
    > folder, the next time I open it it is read only again. I have checked all
    > the
    > know places for such a setting and am logged in correctly. Any hints and
    > tips
    > please!

Read Only Microsoft Windows XP