EPSON v350 or HP Scanjet G4050 ?

HariSeldon

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
I am going to scan photos and 35mm films. mostly family archive, i am not a pro.
I need to decide between EPSON v350 and HP Scanjet G4050 , hp scanjet is slightly more expensive. scan quality is more important than speed , since once the archive is scanned , i am going to use it only for documents.
thank you for your help.

titotitotito

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Go for the Epson v350. I have tried both (bought the HP, then returned and got the V350). The HP G4050 sucks big time! On top, it only works with Windows or Mac. If you ever want to use it with Linux, you are stuck.

Epson provides drivers for all OS, the V350 is half the size compared with the HP, it's 2 or 3 times faster (the HP takes about 10 minutes for every single negative at max resolution), and you get a much better quality scan. The software that comes with HP is terrible, you need to spend another $40 in scanning software (VueScan) if you want to get a quality comparable to the Epson. Seriously, the HP software doesn't even support BW film! and it makes all the wrong decisions without letting you tell it what todo. The result: terrible quality scans.

I'm assuming you scan negatives, after all, if you were looking at scanning documents, there are much cheaper, smaller and faster scanners out there.

Jay Tee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I live in NYC and have a very small office.
I need a scanner for documents, Using Windows.
Who makes the best and the fastest. Preferablly both sides of a document.
Jay
rjr121@ hotmail.com