Computer restarts - have error messages

My desktop goes to a black screen and restarts. I have the following logged
errors:

Technical Information:

*** STOP 0X0000008E 0XC0000005 0XF0FEB749 0XEF1D7750 0X00000000

***tcpip.sys - Address F0FEB749 BASE AT F0FE9000, DATESTAMP 4294d4d3

On restarting Windows XP Pro, I also received error signatures that I wrote
down if that would be helpful.

I suspect memory problems on the motherboard - am I correct?

Many thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about computer restarts error messages

    ST wrote:

    > My desktop goes to a black screen and restarts. I have the following
    > logged errors:
    >
    > Technical Information:
    >
    > *** STOP 0X0000008E 0XC0000005 0XF0FEB749 0XEF1D7750 0X00000000
    >
    > ***tcpip.sys - Address F0FEB749 BASE AT F0FE9000, DATESTAMP 4294d4d3
    >
    > On restarting Windows XP Pro, I also received error signatures that I
    > wrote down if that would be helpful.
    >
    > I suspect memory problems on the motherboard - am I correct?
    >
    > Many thanks.

    You can research your Stop Error here:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    It can't hurt to test your memory. I like Memtest86+ from
    www.memtest.org. Obviously, you have to get the program from a working
    machine. You will either download the precompiled Windows binary to
    make a bootable floppy or the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want
    to use the latter, you'll need to have third-party burning software on
    the machine where you download the file - XP's built-in burning
    capability won't do the job. In either case, boot with the media you
    made. The test will run immediately. Let the test run for an extended
    period of time - unless errors are seen immediately. If you get any
    errors, replace the RAM.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    ST,
    You didn't mention if this was a new build or not. Anyway, to find out
    if it's a memory problem as you suspect, take out the memory & reseat.
    Trying to guess at what you are working on without more info is
    frustrating to us, and worthless to you.
    'STOP 0x0000008e'
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315335)
    Good Luck,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Thanks for the reference to the article. It is not a new XP build. I ran
    Microsoft's RAM tester program with no errors found. Had two sticks of 512
    Kingston ValueRam. Ran MemTest86 which found errors on one stick.
    Replacement module on the way from Kingston. Ran Memtest overnight on the
    other stick - no errors found. Removed the suspect stick from slot 1.
    Replaced it with the "good" stick from slot 2. I was hoping that the error
    report I posted would reveal a memory location pointing to the problem area.

    Thanks for your help - did this additional info help diagnose the problem?

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > ST,
    > You didn't mention if this was a new build or not. Anyway, to find out
    > if it's a memory problem as you suspect, take out the memory & reseat.
    > Trying to guess at what you are working on without more info is
    > frustrating to us, and worthless to you.
    > 'STOP 0x0000008e'
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315335)
    > Good Luck,
    > Treeman