Using CMD error

Hi all

I don’t know what is happened exactly but I'm always using CMD prompt to do
some of my works like run telnet command from any directory
But now I should go to system directory where telnet file located then I can
run it from there
And when I try to run it from another directory I receive the following
message

'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

and this is not just on telnet program
I receive the same message for every file I try to run it from another
location

Thanks in advance

Fadi
14 answers Last reply
More about using error

    Fadi wrote:

    > I don’t know what is happened exactly but I'm always using CMD prompt to do
    > some of my works like run telnet command from any directory
    > But now I should go to system directory where telnet file located then I can
    > run it from there
    > And when I try to run it from another directory I receive the following
    > message

    > 'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    > operable program or batch file.

    > and this is not just on telnet program
    > I receive the same message for every file I try to run it from another
    > location
    Hi,

    It seems you have a path issue, I suggest you download and
    run Fixpath.exe.

    Fixpath.exe is in fixpath2.zip available here:
    http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html

    To see Fixpath's output, run it from a command prompt...

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    6. Why don't my commands
    work?http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/cmdprompt.html#6

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23MwwoZihFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Fadi <fadi_naser@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    Fadi wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I don't know what is happened exactly but I'm always using CMD prompt
    > to do some of my works like run telnet command from any directory
    > But now I should go to system directory where telnet file located
    > then I can run it from there
    > And when I try to run it from another directory I receive the
    > following message

    > 'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    > operable program or batch file.

    > and this is not just on telnet program
    > I receive the same message for every file I try to run it from another
    > location
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    When the system is told to run a program, it first looks in the "local"
    folder. If the command (exe, com, etc.) cannot be found there, the system
    begins looking in every folder specified in the path statements. After
    exhausting these lists - and still unable to find the requested command - it
    gives up with the message you saw.

    At the command prompt, type "PATH" (no quotes) to see the locations
    searched. The folder containing telnet will NOT be among them. That's why
    you're have trouble.

    Simply augument your existing PATH with the folder containing telnet.

    thanks for your quick response but its not work
    any advice

    thanks again

    Fadi wrote:

    > thanks for your quick response but its not work
    > any advice
    >
    > thanks again
    Hi,

    In that case, I need to see your path definition exactly as it is
    defined in the environment.

    Please do the following:

    In the Start/Run dialog box, type in this command:

    %comspec% /c path >c:\path.txt

    Press OK.

    Open the Start/Run dialog box again, and type in this command:

    %windir%\notepad.exe c:\path.txt

    Press OK.

    Notepad should now open up c:\path.txt that contains your path
    definition, and you can copy/paste it's content into a reply to
    this post.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    This is what I got from path.txt file

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
    FILES\SUPPORT TOOLS\;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WSG32\

    thanks again

    Fadi

    Fadi wrote:

    > This is what I got from path.txt file
    >
    > PATH=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
    > FILES\SUPPORT TOOLS\;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WSG32\
    >
    > thanks again
    Hi,

    Your path looks fine, so I am not sure what can be the issue here.

    Let's check the PATHEXT environment.

    Open a command prompt

    In the command prompt, enter the following command:

    echo %PATHEXT%

    It should display this:
    ..COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    this is what it displaied exactly

    anyway thanks for your help
    and i'll try more and more till it fix
    thanks again for being patient and for your tries to solve my problem

    Fadi

    Torgeir, awhile back I saw you post a link for Just getting started with
    scripting. Would you happen to have it? Thanks.

    Bobby wrote:

    > Torgeir, awhile back I saw you post a link for Just getting
    > started with scripting. Would you happen to have it? Thanks.

    Hi,

    Here are some WSH (VBScript/JScript) starting points:

    WSH 5.6 documentation (local help file) can be downloaded from here
    if you haven't got it already:

    Welcome to the Script Center

    The updated Portable Script Center (v3.0), the *.chm version of all of
    the sample scripts on the TechNet Script Center site...

    Download details: System Administration Scripting Guide Scripts
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=b4cb2678-dafb-4e30-b2da-b8814fe2da5a

    For a list of some scripting resources and links to some Windows Script
    Host (WSH) Web introductions, take a look here:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FFC3C56.4C6A07C0@hydro.com

    Some batch file/command line resources:

    Windows Scripting and Batch Programming Resources:
    http://www.labmice.net/scripting/default.htm

    Steve Hardy's web site
    http://www.seanet.com/~shardy/ntscript.html

    Batfiles. The DOS batch file programming handbook & tutorial:
    main site: http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/
    mirror: http://members.fortunecity.com/batfiles/
    mirror: http://www.angelfire.com/blues/batfiles/

    JSI FAQ, Windows NT / 2000 / XP Tips, Tricks, Registry Hacks and more...
    http://www.jsiinc.com

    Batfile links:
    http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/main/links.htm
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#batch
    http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/x86/DOS/Programming/Languages/Batch/

    A newsgroup search is also an incredible source of information :-)

    You can use http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search to search
    in a news database having articles dated back to all the way to 1981.

    WSH/VBScript newsgroups ideal for newsgroup searches:

    microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
    microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript
    microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting

    Batch programming and command line newsgroups ideal for newsgroup
    searches:

    alt.msdos.batch
    alt.msdos.batch.nt
    microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks for information. Very much appreciated..

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > Bobby wrote:
    >
    >> Torgeir, awhile back I saw you post a link for Just getting
    >> started with scripting. Would you happen to have it? Thanks.
    >>
    > Hi,
    >
    > Here are some WSH (VBScript/JScript) starting points:
    >
    > WSH 5.6 documentation (local help file) can be downloaded from here
    > if you haven't got it already:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp
    >

    > Welcome to the Script Center
    >
    > The updated Portable Script Center (v3.0), the *.chm version of all of
    > the sample scripts on the TechNet Script Center site...
    >
    > Download details: System Administration Scripting Guide Scripts
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=b4cb2678-dafb-4e30-b2da-b8814fe2da5a
    >

    > For a list of some scripting resources and links to some Windows Script
    > Host (WSH) Web introductions, take a look here:
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FFC3C56.4C6A07C0@hydro.com
    >

    > Some batch file/command line resources:
    >
    > Windows Scripting and Batch Programming Resources:
    > http://www.labmice.net/scripting/default.htm
    >
    > Steve Hardy's web site
    > http://www.seanet.com/~shardy/ntscript.html
    >
    > Batfiles. The DOS batch file programming handbook & tutorial:
    > main site: http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/
    > mirror: http://members.fortunecity.com/batfiles/
    > mirror: http://www.angelfire.com/blues/batfiles/
    >

    > JSI FAQ, Windows NT / 2000 / XP Tips, Tricks, Registry Hacks and more...
    > http://www.jsiinc.com
    >

    > Batfile links:
    > http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/main/links.htm
    > http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#batch
    > http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/x86/DOS/Programming/Languages/Batch/
    >

    > A newsgroup search is also an incredible source of information :-)
    >
    > You can use http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search to search
    > in a news database having articles dated back to all the way to 1981.
    >

    > WSH/VBScript newsgroups ideal for newsgroup searches:
    >
    > microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
    > microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript
    > microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting
    >

    > Batch programming and command line newsgroups ideal for newsgroup
    > searches:
    >
    > alt.msdos.batch
    > alt.msdos.batch.nt
    > microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks everyone

    Fadi

    Fadi wrote on Tue, 12 Jul 2005:

    >This is what I got from path.txt file
    >
    >PATH=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
    >FILES\SUPPORT TOOLS\;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WSG32\
    >
    >thanks again

    Hi Fadi

    Could we try a little experiment?

    Open a Command Prompt window and paste this in:

    path %path%;C:\windows\system32

    then hit <enter>.

    Now try a command. Does it work? (If it does, it will only last until
    you close this Command window, but it gives us a clue as to what's
    wrong.) Please post back and tell us the results.

    Also, what is in C:\Windows\System32\WSG32? Symantec says it is a
    keylogger spyware program?

    Hope this helps

    --
    Nightowl

    Thank you very much

    Its work like a magic

    But I'm sorry too because I didn't understand what's the problem was

    And about "C:\Windows\System32\WSG32"

    Yes it's for "Family Key Logger" program

    I'm using it for a monitoring purpose

    Thank you again and again and again

    And sorry for late

    Fadi

    "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > Fadi wrote on Tue, 12 Jul 2005:
    >
    >>This is what I got from path.txt file
    >>
    >>PATH=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\PROGRAM
    >>FILES\SUPPORT TOOLS\;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WSG32\
    >>
    >>thanks again
    >

    > Hi Fadi
    >
    > Could we try a little experiment?
    >
    > Open a Command Prompt window and paste this in:
    >
    > path %path%;C:\windows\system32
    >
    > then hit <enter>.
    >
    > Now try a command. Does it work? (If it does, it will only last until you
    > close this Command window, but it gives us a clue as to what's wrong.)
    > Please post back and tell us the results.
    >
    > Also, what is in C:\Windows\System32\WSG32? Symantec says it is a
    > keylogger spyware program?
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > --
    > Nightowl

Command Prompt Telnet Microsoft Windows XP