msinfo32.exe disabled - AGAIN!

I while ago someone sent me a DAT file on this newsgroup that helped restore
the msinfo32.exe file. I can't remember what the file was, though. Could
anyone send it me again? Whatever happened to disable msinfo32.exe seems to
have happened again, not sure what, but I think it's ZoneAlarm Pro cleaning
out the locked DAT files. Duh

Tim.T

Additionally:

This method rebuilds the Help Center / MSINFO32, and regenerates the
Index.dat:
http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Helpfix.txt

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Tim.T" <timatee@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
>I while ago someone sent me a DAT file on this newsgroup that helped
>restore
> the msinfo32.exe file. I can't remember what the file was, though. Could
> anyone send it me again? Whatever happened to disable msinfo32.exe seems
> have happened again, not sure what, but I think it's ZoneAlarm Pro
> cleaning
> out the locked DAT files. Duh
>
> Tim.T

Thanks, it seems the DAT file was there after all though. Replacing it
didn't work; what worked was running a "FixHelpXP" tool that replaced 4
deleted registry entries that EasyCleaner removes. My fault, of course. If I
could figure out which registry entries it removes I could perhaps tell it
to ignore them...

Cheers
Tim
> Additionally:
>
> This method rebuilds the Help Center / MSINFO32, and regenerates the
> Index.dat:
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Helpfix.txt
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Tim.T" <timatee@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> >I while ago someone sent me a DAT file on this newsgroup that helped
> >restore
> > the msinfo32.exe file. I can't remember what the file was, though. Could
> > anyone send it me again? Whatever happened to disable msinfo32.exe seems
> > have happened again, not sure what, but I think it's ZoneAlarm Pro
> > cleaning
> > out the locked DAT files. Duh
> >
> > Tim.T

Tim,

Get a newer version of EasyCleaner.

EasyCleaner hasn't caused this problem for a couple of years. Five versions
ago.

EasyCleaner is at version 2.0.6.380.

The problem was fixed in Version 2.0.5.
[[Version 2.0.5: The sixth public release!
Fixes:
The infamous bug in Windows XP/ME that made help & support unusable after
registry clean ]]
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Doug Knox wrote fixwinxphelp.vbs to repair the damage done by Toni Arts
EasyCleaner. fixwinxphelp.vbs was modified 2-28-02.

EasyCleaner 2.0.6.380 Blacklist #7
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23fepqqAiFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Tim.T <timatee@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks, it seems the DAT file was there after all though. Replacing it
> didn't work; what worked was running a "FixHelpXP" tool that replaced 4
> deleted registry entries that EasyCleaner removes. My fault, of course.
> If I could figure out which registry entries it removes I could perhaps
> tell it to ignore them...
>
> Cheers
> Tim
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Additionally:
>>
>> This method rebuilds the Help Center / MSINFO32, and regenerates the
>> Index.dat:
>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Helpfix.txt
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Tim.T" <timatee@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> I while ago someone sent me a DAT file on this newsgroup that helped
>>> restore
>>> the msinfo32.exe file. I can't remember what the file was, though. Could
>>> anyone send it me again? Whatever happened to disable msinfo32.exe seems
>>> have happened again, not sure what, but I think it's ZoneAlarm Pro
>>> cleaning
>>> out the locked DAT files. Duh
>>>
>>> Tim.T

Thanks for posting back Tim.