I ahve oldish games like Dogz 3 and Creatures and really want to play them,
but on trying to install them my computer wont let me. How do I get them to
work...it aoppears to have something to do with the fact they were not made
for XP but i dont want to have to buy loads of new games ! Help someone
please !!

Malke

Regan_uk wrote:

> I ahve oldish games like Dogz 3 and Creatures and really want to play
> them, but on trying to install them my computer wont let me. How do I
> get them to work...it aoppears to have something to do with the fact
> they were not made for XP but i dont want to have to buy loads of new
> games ! Help someone please !!

Some old games written for DOS and/or Win9x will work fine on XP and
some won't. You can try using Compatibility Mode. Look in XP's Help &
Support for "Compatibility Mode" or here is a link to a Microsoft
article:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx

You can also use links found in this Google search to find more
information:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=running+old+games+on+XP&btnG=Google+Search

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Regan_uk wrote:
> I ahve oldish games like Dogz 3 and Creatures and really want to play them,
> but on trying to install them my computer wont let me. How do I get them to
> work...it aoppears to have something to do with the fact they were not made
> for XP but i dont want to have to buy loads of new games ! Help someone
> please !!

One of the best sites for determining if a game is compatible on XP is
ntcompatible.com. just click on the compatibilty link near the very
top of the page and it will take you to a database listing thousands of
games and programs that have been tested for compatibility on XP, 2000,
or NT. I couldn't find Dogz 3 but apparently there is a patch for
Creatures that allows it to run on XP. It should be on the
manufacturer's website. The patch is version 1.02.

"Regan_uk" <Reganuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I ahve oldish games like Dogz 3 and Creatures and really want to play them,
> but on trying to install them my computer wont let me. How do I get them
> work...it aoppears to have something to do with the fact they were not
> made
> for XP but i dont want to have to buy loads of new games ! Help someone
> please !!

Look on the publishers website for info. Some titles aren't compatible
though.

This is very easy. Go to the desktop or the start menu. Right click on the
icon, then click properties. Then click "compatibility", then click the type
of windows you want to run it on.

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> "Regan_uk" <Reganuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I ahve oldish games like Dogz 3 and Creatures and really want to play them,
> > but on trying to install them my computer wont let me. How do I get them
> > work...it aoppears to have something to do with the fact they were not
> > made
> > for XP but i dont want to have to buy loads of new games ! Help someone
> > please !!
>
> Look on the publishers website for info. Some titles aren't compatible
> though.

It's not always that easy, some programs wont run.