Which HDD, help me

nokicky

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I really need some help choosing a hard drive. i basically want 800gb+ to store uncompressed dvds on. Would two standard 400gb ide drives do the job or would play back be jerky when they were full. shold i go for ide, sata, raid (which one!?) someone please help! thanks

I'd get 4*200 Gig RAID 0, but there obviously is no redundency.

8*200Gig Raid 0+1?

CaptainK

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I order all of my computer components from newegg.com
Been a great company to deal with and their pricing is awesome with quick shipping.

RichPLS

Champion
I would get something like a pair of <A HREF="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,630,00.html" target="_new"> Barracuda 7200.8 SATA NCQ (ST3400832AS) </A>- 400GB w/8-Mbyte buffer 7,200 RPM, a 8-ms average latency and a 5-year warranty.
and I would run them as boot drive and data drive instead of RAID 0.
These are plenty fast enough to play video up to full drive capacity.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
[Native Command Queing] NCQ generates measurable benefits, especially in the area of performance, producing vastly improved performance with highly transactional workloads. The performance benefit can amount to an addition of as much as a 10K SATA drive's performance. NCQ is complementary to several performance-boosting features that are part of the SATA protocol. Additionally, as a result of its command and data handling, NCQ reduces the mechanical wear and tear on drives and improves their endurance.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might be a good candidate for Tom's WindowsXP RAID 5 settup. You could use 4 200GB drives without the added expense of a RAID5 controller, and have redundancy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
4x200GB drives in RAID 5 will give you usable 600MB space, not the 800 he wants.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
True, forgot about that, 4x250MB would be close.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if your just storing dvds why do you need increased performance? i would think that security would be what you were after.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
RAID5 gives you security at a minimal loss of space. RAID1 gives you security at a maximum loss of space.