Caligula

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
I was trying to use WMP (windows media player ) in XP to play dvd movies, but WMP could not play any dvds and gave an error msg saying it cannot find dvd decorder software. Then I've installed Power DVD 4.0 and now WMP can play dvds but Power DVD doesnot responds to any dvd playing. Does that mean I can only use WMP in XP???
Maybe I'm getting greedy, but I love to get WMP as well as Power dvd 4.0 to work in XP to play dvd movies.
I think WMP is using Power DVDs decorder software to play dvd movies. But for some reason I cannot get Power dvd to play any dvd movies in XP.
Any ideas how to get Power dvd to play dvd movies ???
Thanking you all.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First, make sure that PowerDVD is set to find the correct DVD-ROM drive letter under the Configuration button and the General tab.

Next, open My Computer, right-click on the DVD-ROM drive letter, and choose Properties. Under the AutoPlay tab, select DVD movie, and click the check box for "Prompt me each time to choose an action". Then you can either choose the player that launches when a DVD movie is detected, or choose for AutoPlay to take no action at all.

Finally, open Windows Explorer. Select Tools\Folder Options\File Types. Browse to DVD video. High this file type, and click the Advanced button. Highlight any action that you wish to change and click the Edit button. Browse to the .exe of the program that you wish associated with an action. You can even create a new action.

For instance, on my system, the action is <b>Play with PowerDVD</b>.

After you've set the program association with an action, highlight it in the Edit File Type window, and click the Set Default button.

To keep Windows Media Player from conflicting with your actions that make PowerDVD the default player, you may need to open the program, and under Tools\Options\File Types, clear the DVD video checkbox.

I think it's best for PowerDVD to be default, so you won't have to manually load any of the .VOB files for playback.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

Anees Sozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009