The Hitchhiker's Guide Infocom Game Re-Release

Archived from groups: alt.fan.douglas-adams,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

It is fairly widely known that if you go to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml you can play a rerelease
of the HHGG Infocom game.

However, it was mentioned on afda that there were extra bits which had been
inserted that weren't in the original.

Has anybody actually found any of these? I don't mean the pictures, I mean
new bits of text.
--
John Coxon

It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end, someone
would be stupid enough to try and pass them.

Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

John Coxon wrote:
> It is fairly widely known that if you go to
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml you can play a
rerelease
> of the HHGG Infocom game.
>
> However, it was mentioned on afda that there were extra bits which
had been
> inserted that weren't in the original.
>
> Has anybody actually found any of these? I don't mean the pictures,
I mean
> new bits of text.
> --
> John Coxon
>
> It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end,
someone
> would be stupid enough to try and pass them.

Are you sure? I doubt that, as nobody has access to the ZIL compiler
nowadays (that I've heard of), and anyway the serial # claims it was
compiled in 85. Is it possible you are used to the Z5 Solid Gold
edition, w/ built-in hints? If you downloaded it from some warez site,
then that's probably the version you got. Compare serial #s.

In rec.games.int-fiction, John Coxon <rogue_nine_1988@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is fairly widely known that if you go to
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml you can play a rerelease
> of the HHGG Infocom game.
>
> However, it was mentioned on afda that there were extra bits which had been
> inserted that weren't in the original.
>
> Has anybody actually found any of these? I don't mean the pictures, I mean
> new bits of text.

There is no new text. They're using the original Z-code file,
unchanged.

Well, I guess they could be adding new text in the UI level, using the
same context detection they're using to cue images. But I haven't
heard anyone say this is actually happening.

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Archived from groups: alt.fan.douglas-adams,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On 22/05/2005 16:17, five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of
unreason and JohnnyMrNinja spewed up:

> John Coxon wrote:
>
>>It is fairly widely known that if you go to
>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml you can play a
>>rerelease of the HHGG Infocom game.
>>
>>However, it was mentioned on afda that there were extra bits which
>>had been inserted that weren't in the original.
>>
>>Has anybody actually found any of these? I don't mean the pictures,
>>I mean new bits of text.
>
> Are you sure? I doubt that, as nobody has access to the ZIL compiler
> nowadays (that I've heard of), and anyway the serial # claims it was
> compiled in 85. Is it possible you are used to the Z5 Solid Gold
> edition, w/ built-in hints? If you downloaded it from some warez site,
> then that's probably the version you got. Compare serial #s.

What? No, I meant the rerelease on the BB website that I linked to above -
has that got any new bits? I didn't download anything from a warez site.[9]

[9]Well, nothing HHGG-related.

--
John Coxon

It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end, someone
would be stupid enough to try and pass them.

Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

On 22/05/2005 16:13, five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of
unreason and Andrew Plotkin spewed up:

> In rec.games.int-fiction, John Coxon <rogue_nine_1988@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It is fairly widely known that if you go to
>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml you can play a rerelease
>>of the HHGG Infocom game.
>>
>>However, it was mentioned on afda that there were extra bits which had been
>>inserted that weren't in the original.
>>
>>Has anybody actually found any of these? I don't mean the pictures, I mean
>>new bits of text.
>
> There is no new text. They're using the original Z-code file,
> unchanged.
>
> Well, I guess they could be adding new text in the UI level, using the
> same context detection they're using to cue images. But I haven't
> heard anyone say this is actually happening.

Righto, then. Thanks for the help.

--
John Coxon

It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end, someone
would be stupid enough to try and pass them.

Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

Archived from groups: alt.fan.douglas-adams,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

"John Coxon" <rogue_nine_1988@hotmail.com> wrote

> It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end,
someone
> would be stupid enough to try and pass them.

Wouldn't it be just as stupid, if not more so, to sit behind them all ?

Steve M

John Coxon wrote:
> On 22/05/2005 16:17, five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious
storms of
> unreason and JohnnyMrNinja spewed up:
>
> > John Coxon wrote:
> >
> >>It is fairly widely known that if you go to
> >>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml you can play a
> >>rerelease of the HHGG Infocom game.
> >>
> >>However, it was mentioned on afda that there were extra bits which
> >>had been inserted that weren't in the original.
> >>
> >>Has anybody actually found any of these? I don't mean the
pictures,
> >>I mean new bits of text.
> >
> > Are you sure? I doubt that, as nobody has access to the ZIL
compiler
> > nowadays (that I've heard of), and anyway the serial # claims it
was
> > compiled in 85. Is it possible you are used to the Z5 Solid Gold
> > edition, w/ built-in hints? If you downloaded it from some warez
site,
> > then that's probably the version you got. Compare serial #s.
>
> What? No, I meant the rerelease on the BB website that I linked to
above -
> has that got any new bits? I didn't download anything from a warez
site.[9]

> [9]Well, nothing HHGG-related.

Sorry, I meant whatever version you're comparing to the BBC site. I
noticed that on the Infocom compilations Activision invariably put the
Z3 versions of Solid Gold games but that sites like the-underdogs.org
only had the Z5 versions. So if you have the Z5 then that would explain
the differance to the BBC site.... Garble. I'll go back to my box now.