Packard bell power jack r1935

Status
Not open for further replies.

starlady27

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Hi my packard belly power jack dont work i tried to solder a new one on but that didnt work either i have noticed that by the power jack side the laptop is brown like it has blown is there anything i can do or is the laptop just dead please help thanks.

starlady27

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I soldered on a new power jack and the laptop still would not power up. and around the power jack inside the laptop it is brown i think the old jack might have blown im not to sure. I cant get pictures just yet as the laptop is at a friends. sorry. I just need to know if it xcan be fxed and what parts do i need a was told a need a whole new mother board but i am not to sure.

Jacks don't blow. They melt and spark.

Anyway, you likely have motherboard damage around the positive lead. A picture would confirm this.

In these kinds of situations, I usually get a hold of the copper on the back of the board and pull up and cut off the burnt and bad parts, and seperate it from it's original solder hole. Then I make a L shape with it, so there's a small lip standing off the board, where you can now solder to. Then run small wires from one side of the board to the other and solder them to the jack's lead (it will only work if one lead is bad and the other is good - otherwise, you need to find a way to attach the jack to the board without soldering - taking the jack outside the chassis is an option, here). In the end, the original soldering point for the jack goes unused. This isolates the damage and the bad contact points. You may have to do some case modification to prevent shorts and allow room for the wires and such.

starlady27

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I will get some pictures so you can see. thanks for ur rerply is this quite easy to do? and what do i need to do it i have a soldering kit do i need anything else?? thank you

starlady27

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I will get some pictures so you can see. thanks for ur rerply is this quite easy to do? and what do i need to do it i have a soldering kit do i need anything else?? thank you

It's pretty easy if you know what to do. The actual repair will only take minutes, but fitting it in the case without problems could take hours. The last one I did took about 5. I didn't take any pictures from it, unfortunately, and the notebook is with it's owner, now.

The tools I used (for the repair, not for dismantling the notebook itself)

-soldering iron and solder (duh). I prefer .032", but if you're careful you can use bigger.
-desoldering iron (helpful, but you can get by without it. we all screw things up.)
-Some wire, I think I used 12 gauge. You can use different wire, depending on your current needs. You can probably go down to 21 or 22 if you just don't have space. You won't need a lot, probably less than an inch. http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
-A good pair of wire cutters and sets of needle nose pliers and other types of cutters. Never know what kind of snip you're going to have to make. I've got a nice craftsman professional set I use.
-An ohmmeter/multimeter to check your connections
-A dremel tool/drill with various size bits and sand bits to modify the chassis, if necessary.
-A hot glue gun and electrical tape to prevent shorts and hold things together if you need to.

That's about it, I think.

Now is also a good time to clean out your heatsinks and reapply TIM, if you want/need.

Status
Not open for further replies.