• Sound Cards
  • PCI
  • Motherboards
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
November 19, 2004 7:59:52 PM

Hi

i have always used onboard sound and never had any problems but i see lots of posts saying onboard isnt as good as a seperate sound card.

on a moderd motherboard is there any difference or advantage between something like 5.1 onboard sound and a 5.1 PCI sound card?

also i use a simple headset to play games etc...does that mean 2.1 sound is fine for me as 5.1 the other channels wont be used right?

cheers.

More about : onboard sound pci sound card

a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2004 1:53:14 AM

Forget the .1, your headphones have no sub. Anyway, reasonable quality codecs provide similar sound quality to reasonably priced soundcards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 20, 2004 11:49:54 AM

thanks for the reply crashman

i have read that onboard sound uses up alot more CPU power than PCI sound cards. is this true for moderd onboard sound?
Related resources
November 20, 2004 12:45:18 PM

Yes its true, but the alot more is just a small percentage, like 3 to 5%

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2004 8:14:17 PM

It really depends on several factors. Certain Creative soundcards still have a very high CPU load compared to older technology, but still lower than onboard codecs with similar features. So a huge exception here were boards with the nForce APU, which had high CPU load but not as high as without the APU, very competitave with Creative's soundcards for example.

Formerly, many boards actually used hardware sound chips onboard. So even back then onboard sound didn't mean high CPU loads as compared to similar sound cards.

It's always a case of looking at exactly which onboard solution you're comparing to exactly which sound card. Onboard sound generally uses more CPU power, but not always.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2008 5:40:30 PM

i am using a realtec onboard sound its a xfx 680i lt mobo so its pretty much brand new

I have a xfi extreme music card in the closet that supports game mode for the advanced hd audio

I am pretty sure that running in gamemode can inprove the performace but probably not if i want the hd audio on is that correct

also which one sound device would be better for performance and which for quality i think the realtec supports eight channels

keep in mind im only using the klipsch 2.1 thx speaker system
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2008 10:26:26 PM

Was it worth the effort answering a 3.5 year old question?
!