Drag & Drop copies instead of moving on desktop

Help!

On my XP Home machine I try to drag & drop from one folder to another or
from the desktop to a folder and it copies the file instead of moving it.

How do I reset it so that when I drag and drop a file it moves it instead of
copying it.

Thanks,

DaviDGarlikov
12 answers Last reply
More about drag drop copies moving desktop

    Garlikov wrote:

    > Help!
    >
    > On my XP Home machine I try to drag & drop from one folder to another
    > or from the desktop to a folder and it copies the file instead of
    > moving it.
    >
    > How do I reset it so that when I drag and drop a file it moves it
    > instead of copying it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > DaviDGarlikov

    Use your right-mouse button to click/drag. When you release the button,
    you'll get a context menu that will allow you to choose Move or Copy as
    you like.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    When dragging a file in Explorer, you can control the operation that will be
    performed when you release the mouse button:

    Hold the Control key to force a Copy.

    Hold the Shift key to force a Move.

    Hold the Alt key to force a Create Shortcut.

    If you drag an item while pressing the right mouse button, you can move,
    copy, or create a shortcut to the file in its new location.

    If you drag an item to another disk, it is copied, not moved. To move the
    item, press and hold down SHIFT while dragging.

    Dragging a program to a new location creates a shortcut to that program. To
    move a program, right-click and then drag the program to the new location.
    You must be logged on as an administrator to move a program.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:F9CE422F-4FFD-4343-9F36-A403DC9BCC19@microsoft.com,
    Garlikov <Garlikov@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Help!
    >
    > On my XP Home machine I try to drag & drop from one folder to another or
    > from the desktop to a folder and it copies the file instead of moving it.
    >
    > How do I reset it so that when I drag and drop a file it moves it instead
    > of copying it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > DaviDGarlikov

    I don't have to answer the menu on my other computers. When I lift click,
    hold and drag it moves the file when I release it. On this one it is just
    copying it.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Garlikov wrote:
    >
    > > Help!
    > >
    > > On my XP Home machine I try to drag & drop from one folder to another
    > > or from the desktop to a folder and it copies the file instead of
    > > moving it.
    > >
    > > How do I reset it so that when I drag and drop a file it moves it
    > > instead of copying it.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > DaviDGarlikov
    >
    > Use your right-mouse button to click/drag. When you release the button,
    > you'll get a context menu that will allow you to choose Move or Copy as
    > you like.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I don't have to answer the menu on my other computers. On the desktop, when I
    left click, hold and drag it moves the file when I release it. On this one
    it is just copying it.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > When dragging a file in Explorer, you can control the operation that will be
    > performed when you release the mouse button:
    >
    > Hold the Control key to force a Copy.
    >
    > Hold the Shift key to force a Move.
    >
    > Hold the Alt key to force a Create Shortcut.
    >
    > If you drag an item while pressing the right mouse button, you can move,
    > copy, or create a shortcut to the file in its new location.
    >
    > If you drag an item to another disk, it is copied, not moved. To move the
    > item, press and hold down SHIFT while dragging.
    >
    > Dragging a program to a new location creates a shortcut to that program. To
    > move a program, right-click and then drag the program to the new location.
    > You must be logged on as an administrator to move a program.
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:F9CE422F-4FFD-4343-9F36-A403DC9BCC19@microsoft.com,
    > Garlikov <Garlikov@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Help!
    > >
    > > On my XP Home machine I try to drag & drop from one folder to another or
    > > from the desktop to a folder and it copies the file instead of moving it.
    > >
    > > How do I reset it so that when I drag and drop a file it moves it instead
    > > of copying it.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > DaviDGarlikov

    I just realized that I moved the "My Document" folder to my 2nd hard disk.
    That's why it's copying instead of moving! What I dope am I!.

    Thanks all..

    David Garlikov

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Garlikov wrote:
    >
    > > Help!
    > >
    > > On my XP Home machine I try to drag & drop from one folder to another
    > > or from the desktop to a folder and it copies the file instead of
    > > moving it.
    > >
    > > How do I reset it so that when I drag and drop a file it moves it
    > > instead of copying it.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > DaviDGarlikov
    >
    > Use your right-mouse button to click/drag. When you release the button,
    > you'll get a context menu that will allow you to choose Move or Copy as
    > you like.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Right click hold, drag and drop it.

    "Garlikov" <Garlikov@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Help!
    >
    > On my XP Home machine I try to drag & drop from one folder to another or
    > from the desktop to a folder and it copies the file instead of moving it.
    >
    > How do I reset it so that when I drag and drop a file it moves it instead
    > of
    > copying it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > DaviDGarlikov

    On my other computers, when I left click and hold the button down and drag a
    file to "My Documents" folder and release the button, it moves the file to
    that folder. However, now it just copies it. The right click and drag
    works, but then I have to click on "move" or "copy" and I shouldn't have to
    do that.

    "Garlikov" wrote:

    > On my other computers, when I left click and hold the button down and drag a
    > file to "My Documents" folder and release the button, it moves the file to
    > that folder. However, now it just copies it. The right click and drag
    > works, but then I have to click on "move" or "copy" and I shouldn't have to
    > do that.
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    > > Right click hold, drag and drop it.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > > NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > > See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > > Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >

    > > "Garlikov" <Garlikov@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Help!
    > > >
    > > > On my XP Home machine I try to drag & drop from one folder to another or
    > > > from the desktop to a folder and it copies the file instead of moving it.
    > > >
    > > > How do I reset it so that when I drag and drop a file it moves it instead
    > > > of
    > > > copying it.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > DaviDGarlikov

    David,

    There's always something, isn't there? ;-)

    Keep having fun.

    Raymond Chen offers a succinct guide to what happens when you drag and drop
    file.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/11/12/256472.aspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:11AC1F04-513A-4D86-8F25-160C7DA2BE7B@microsoft.com,
    Garlikov <Garlikov@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I just realized that I moved the "My Document" folder to my 2nd hard disk.
    > That's why it's copying instead of moving! What I dope am I!.
    >
    > Thanks all..
    >
    > David Garlikov
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> When dragging a file in Explorer, you can control the operation that
    >> will be performed when you release the mouse button:
    >>
    >> Hold the Control key to force a Copy.
    >>
    >> Hold the Shift key to force a Move.
    >>
    >> Hold the Alt key to force a Create Shortcut.
    >>
    >> If you drag an item while pressing the right mouse button, you can move,
    >> copy, or create a shortcut to the file in its new location.
    >>
    >> If you drag an item to another disk, it is copied, not moved. To move the
    >> item, press and hold down SHIFT while dragging.
    >>
    >> Dragging a program to a new location creates a shortcut to that program.
    >> To move a program, right-click and then drag the program to the new
    >> location. You must be logged on as an administrator to move a program.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:F9CE422F-4FFD-4343-9F36-A403DC9BCC19@microsoft.com,
    >> Garlikov <Garlikov@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Help!
    >>>
    >>> On my XP Home machine I try to drag & drop from one folder to another or
    >>> from the desktop to a folder and it copies the file instead of moving
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> How do I reset it so that when I drag and drop a file it moves it
    >>> instead of copying it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> DaviDGarlikov
  12. Hi,
    Is there a way to change the settings on windows xp. My problem is every time I drag and drop a image or file to a desktop it moves the file. I just want it to be copied.

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP