Zork 2 objects

I was just thinking today of Zork 2 and the various spells the Wizard would
cast on you. I remember that the Fantasize spell would cause the player to
see objects that weren't actually in the game...does anyone remember what
these objects were? Or failing that, how I might decompile the game file
and look for myself?

Andy

Here, Andy M <andym789@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I was just thinking today of Zork 2 and the various spells the Wizard would
> cast on you. I remember that the Fantasize spell would cause the player to
> see objects that weren't actually in the game...does anyone remember what
> these objects were? Or failing that, how I might decompile the game file
> and look for myself?

The txd disassembler (under if-archive/infocom/tools/ztools on the
Archive) works.

It looks like it's the last few items in the strings section of the
game file:

S344: "pile of jewels"
S345: "gold ingot"
S346: "basilisk"
S347: "bulging chest"
S348: "yellow sphere"
S349: "grue"
S350: "convention of wizards"
S351: "copy of ZORK I"

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Nathan

Andy M wrote:
> Also of interest are these strings, which I'm guessing are meant to be
> appended to or used in place of normal room descriptions:
>
> S335: "sparsely furnished and almost monkish in its austerity."
> S336: "an opulently furnished seraglio out of an Arabian folktale."
> S337: "decorated in the Louis XIV style."
> S338: "overhung with palm-trees and lianas. The only furniture is a
> hammock."
> S339: "constructed of delicate and wispy cloud-stuffs."
> S340: "furnished in plastic and metal and looks like the control deck
> of a spaceship."
> S341: "a suburban bedroom out of the 1950's, complete with bunk beds."
> S342: "a dank and dimly lighted cave, its floor piled with furs and old
> bones."

These are possible endings for the description of Wizard's Quarters,
which starts: "This is where the Wizard of Frobozz lives. The room
is..."

"Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
> Here, Andy M <andym789@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I was just thinking today of Zork 2 and the various spells the Wizard
>> would
>> cast on you. I remember that the Fantasize spell would cause the player
>> see objects that weren't actually in the game...does anyone remember what
>> these objects were? Or failing that, how I might decompile the game file
>> and look for myself?
>
> The txd disassembler (under if-archive/infocom/tools/ztools on the
> Archive) works.
>
> It looks like it's the last few items in the strings section of the
> game file:
>
> S344: "pile of jewels"
> S345: "gold ingot"
> S346: "basilisk"
> S347: "bulging chest"
> S348: "yellow sphere"
> S349: "grue"
> S350: "convention of wizards"
> S351: "copy of ZORK I"
>
> --Z
>
> "And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the
> borogoves..."
> *
> I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Thank you, that did indeed do the trick. Also of interest are these
strings, which I'm guessing are meant to be appended to or used in place of
normal room descriptions:

S335: "sparsely furnished and almost monkish in its austerity."
S336: "an opulently furnished seraglio out of an Arabian folktale."
S337: "decorated in the Louis XIV style."
S338: "overhung with palm-trees and lianas. The only furniture is a
hammock."
S339: "constructed of delicate and wispy cloud-stuffs."
S340: "furnished in plastic and metal and looks like the control deck of a
spaceship."
S341: "a suburban bedroom out of the 1950's, complete with bunk beds."
S342: "a dank and dimly lighted cave, its floor piled with furs and old
bones."

Andy

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002

On or about 5/25/2005 4:54 PM, Andy M did proclaim:

> Thank you, that did indeed do the trick. Also of interest are these
> strings, which I'm guessing are meant to be appended to or used in place of
> normal room descriptions:

Several of those descriptions could have been lifted from the bedrooms
of various sit-coms of the '60s. To wit:

> S335: "sparsely furnished and almost monkish in its austerity."

OK, I'll admit that I'm not sure about this one.

> S336: "an opulently furnished seraglio out of an Arabian folktale."

"I Dream of Jeanie"

> S337: "decorated in the Louis XIV style."

"2001: A Space Odyssey" (Yes, it's a serious movie, not a TV sit-com.
Get over it.)

> S338: "overhung with palm-trees and lianas. The only furniture is a
> hammock."

"Gilligan's Island"

> S339: "constructed of delicate and wispy cloud-stuffs."

"The Smothers Brothers Show" (not "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour",
see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0188362/)

> S340: "furnished in plastic and metal and looks like the control deck of a
> spaceship."

"Land of the Giants" or "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"

> S341: "a suburban bedroom out of the 1950's, complete with bunk beds."

any of "My Three Sons", "Ozzie and Harriet", "Leave It to Beaver", etc.

> S342: "a dank and dimly lighted cave, its floor piled with furs and old
> bones."

"The Flintstones", or (if you want a live-action reference) "It's About
Time" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059997/)