Remove programs automatically running after reboot.

Every time I reboot, there are some pograms showing in a tray that are
running. E.g. AOL , msn ,and some others.
I do not remember doing anything that I explicitly asked for that, but
that does not matter. I want to learn how to remove these things so
they are not running on startup.
The explanations on how to do it from HELP are not explicit or maybe I
do not know what to look for, but they constantly bring me to how to
remove icons from START panel.

Anyway, how I remove these things so, they are not started
automatically and take resorces that I do not want them to take?
2 answers Last reply
More about remove programs automatically running reboot

    Use msconfig from the run dialog and go to the strat-up tab.

    This is a better tool.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

    Mark wrote:

    > Every time I reboot, there are some pograms showing in a tray that are
    > running. E.g. AOL , msn ,and some others.
    > I do not remember doing anything that I explicitly asked for that, but
    > that does not matter. I want to learn how to remove these things so
    > they are not running on startup.
    > The explanations on how to do it from HELP are not explicit or maybe I
    > do not know what to look for, but they constantly bring me to how to
    > remove icons from START panel.
    >
    > Anyway, how I remove these things so, they are not started
    > automatically and take resorces that I do not want them to take?

    The best way is to open the program itself and look for Options or
    Preferences. Most well-written programs will have a place where you can
    disable it from starting with Windows.

    If the program is poorly-written or just plain greedy, then use the
    System Configuration Utility as follows:

    Go to Start>Run and type (without quotes) "msconfig" [enter]. This
    brings up the System Configuration Utility. Look on the Startup tab and
    find the probable culprit. Uncheck the box next to its name, Apply and
    OK out. You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do
    you'll get a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Just tick the box
    that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

    How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers