Raid questions: WindowsXP software & 3 hard drives

ThePooBurner

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
I read the raid 5 artical the other day on toms. I didn't know that windows had inbuilt raid capability like that. I was wondering how well it works in Riad 0 and 1 modes. The aretical showed raid 5, but i don't really want to do that. a more simple setup would be fine. So question 1) how good is the windows software raid? does it offer any preformance advantage over a normal setup for gaming and such?

Second issue: I have 3 hard drives. 260gig and 1 120gig. I would like to raid0 the first 2 and mirror them onto the 120 for security purposes (just plain data, no parity stuffs or striping stuff). Is that possible? If it is possible, what is the best way to go about doing it? Could it work without buying a controller card and using the windows software raid?

I think you see where i want to go with this. Any help will be appreaciated. Thanks in advance.

-ThePooBurner

RichPLS

Champion
It might work, but I would suspect that you would have to partition the 120 into 2 60's giving you essentially 4 x 60
Then you could do 2 RAID 0's and use one for Redundancy, but there would be a performance hit because of the partitioned drive would have to transfer 2 drives worth of data onto one drives data stream.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
first of all, if you RAID0 the first two and mirror them to the third, you'll be limitted in speed to the third. What you're speaking of is a special configuration for RAID 0+1. I don't think Windows has the power to do such odd configurations, and even then I don't think you can do a Windows RAID with the boot drive.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
im fairly certain that windows wont let you do any kind of raid with the boot drive.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Everytime i try to make XP start from a raid drive the pc goes mental and wont start up properly. For now i just have an IDE drive as a startup drive and the raid for files progs etc.

Someone please unwire me...the gadgets are taking over!