New version of HLA Adventure now available

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

A new version of HLA Adventure has just been released for Windows XP
and Linux/Red Hat. The version number is 2.80. Changes in version 2.80
include:

Bug fixes, additional features, program enhancements, code
modifications, clearer documentation and other changes.

The homepage for HLA Adventure is located at:

http://members.tripod.com/~panks/hlaadv.html

HLA Adventure was coded in Randall Hyde's HLA (High Level Assembly)
programming language.

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Yes, that's fine. It's a good game, which others on
rec.arts.int-fiction will run through the mud because they don't like
me the person.

Paul

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Hey Eric,

I tried out Escape Linux and found it to be very interesting. It's
based on the 2.4 kernel, correct?

Anyways, I tried to get a screenshot of the desktop, by pressing the
Print-Screen key, but couldn't find a graphics editor to paste the
screenshot into in order to save it.

What application do I need to save a screenshot of the Escape Linux
desktop?

Thanks,

Paul

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

if I can give my opinion about it, the main problem with HLA is it seems
it's not portable to other architecture. For exemple I'm running linux
on a macintosh (powerpc arch.) and mac os x, and I can't recompile your
game for my architecture. It's probably not very relevant to point this
because rather few people are using a Mac (but more and more are
switching to this OS anyway), but I think this kind of game could be
great on handhelds (pocket pc) and on mobile telephone. Then the game
need to be recompiled for arm processor or similar. I think it's
impossible with HLA.
I managed to make your game run with a kind of virtual PC, I don't
dislike this game, I think it's interesting you're shaping your own
world with assembly langage.

It was o.k. this time that people didn't curse you for announcing the
new version of your game (after all this place was made for this purpose
wasn't it ?) but I think it's better you don't throw too much oil on the
fire with further posts such as "Just to settle the 'Ed Wood' argument
once and for all" and later "Why Zork still defines IF", even if I don't
disagree with this.

Don't you mind if I put your game, and eventually the hla compiler on my
linux live cd ? -> http://esclinux.tk

dunric@yahoo.com a écrit :
> A new version of HLA Adventure has just been released for Windows XP
> and Linux/Red Hat. The version number is 2.80. Changes in version 2.80
> include:
>
> Bug fixes, additional features, program enhancements, code
> modifications, clearer documentation and other changes.
>
> The homepage for HLA Adventure is located at:
>
> http://members.tripod.com/~panks/hlaadv.html
>
> HLA Adventure was coded in Randall Hyde's HLA (High Level Assembly)
> programming language.

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

I generally use the ImageMagick command :

import -window root screenshot.png

for getting screenshots.
But ImageMagick is not on this cd, so you an use xpaint, a very basic
image editor, for doing this (there should be a tool for this purpose
with it). Just try in a terminal : xpaint

I don't think the printscreen key would work for this, it's for windows
(maybe on Fedora too ?)

The kernel is rather old, 2.4.? because it's based on Feather Linux
which used this kernel at this time. It should be enough for most purposes.
You can also add more games (inform, tads, or hla...) in some of the
folders in a second burning session, they should appear on the live
environement.