Dibo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
Hello everyone, thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out.

Earlier this week, my house had a massive power surge, one that killed the surge protector on my tv. The protector on my computer is about 5 years old and didn't seem to be a lot of help :(

When the power came back, I restarted my comp, it went to check disk and it 'appeared' to come through ok. However, win xp came up to the original login with password page that I haven't seen since i first set this comp up about a year ago.

When I finally get in to the xp desktop, I get the following - some icons appear wrong, many windows associated programs are inaccesible, some non-windows programs are also inacsessible, the start bar/task bar has programs missing etc.

When I manually ran chkdsk, it showed 68kb in bad sectors. Seems hard to believe 68k would have this much of an effect on my computer.

For now, I will try be trying to repair windows using the XP disc tomorrow, however, my question is, even if the repair works and win starts working fully again, should I replace the drive anyway? (I have only one 80gb drive). If repair does not work, I assume only option for me is replacing the drive, what is the best way to transfer all of my files to the new drive? Lastly, and its kinda unethical, but would I be able to pass this off as a dead drive and have it replaced under warranty?

Thanks again, sorry for the long post, and any info will be appreciated.

Erik

P.S. if anyone knows of good deals on great surge protectors, feel free to post them :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dibo on 11/21/04 01:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if its still under warranty, just say that U turned it on one day & was like this...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
68kb could take out 1 important file easily, or possibly 2.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Dibo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
follow up to my first post.

Win xp repair does not seem to be working for some reason. I cannot access my cd burning app, and I can not reinstall it from the disc (!) to save the files i would like to so now I'm kinda stuck. I realize I need to replace my drive, and I wonder if i can do this - If I get a new drive, install win xp, then hook up my damaged drive, would it be feasible to just migrate saved files I need from the damaged drive to the new, then get rid of the damaged drive completely?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you can do that.

Send the old drive to me when you're done :smile:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>