USB 2.0 external harddrive

Hi

I have two external hard disk caddeys of which neither work on my
system. (Specs follow) I know both caddeys work because they work with
out dramas on the laptop beside me. USB appears to work on my system
because I've never had problems with my pointing device, keyboard or
printer.

When I try and access the external hard disk from my system I get the
following error:
P:\ is not accessible

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device
error.

Whilst the external drive is plugged in explorer stalls when trying to
access my computer or the drive itself. Device manager tells me the
external disk is working fine. (I know it is because it works in my laptop.)

I am using SP2 with all the latest updates for windows XP and for my
hardware.

My system specs are as follows:
Asus NForce 2 motherboard
AMD 2600
512meg ram
2x120gig IDE drives (running in raid as sata)
I think that's all that's relavant.

Thanks for your help, Glen. v

A couple of things before the folks who know this stuff get here:

1) Have you installed any needed software for the USB drive? Mine came
with software.
2) Have you checked for the device in Device Manager, and if so, what does
it show?
3) Have you checked in your BIOS to see if USB 2.0 is enabled?
4) Just a shot in the dark - are there any error messages in Event Viewer?

"Glen Greer" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have two external hard disk caddeys of which neither work on my
> system. (Specs follow) I know both caddeys work because they work with
> out dramas on the laptop beside me. USB appears to work on my system
> because I've never had problems with my pointing device, keyboard or
> printer.
>
> When I try and access the external hard disk from my system I get the
> following error:
> P:\ is not accessible
>
> The request could not be performed because of an I/O device
> error.
>
> Whilst the external drive is plugged in explorer stalls when trying to
> access my computer or the drive itself. Device manager tells me the
> external disk is working fine. (I know it is because it works in my laptop.)
>
> I am using SP2 with all the latest updates for windows XP and for my
> hardware.
>
> My system specs are as follows:
> Asus NForce 2 motherboard
> AMD 2600
> 512meg ram
> 2x120gig IDE drives (running in raid as sata)
> I think that's all that's relavant.
>
> Thanks for your help, Glen. v

1) No, there is no necessary software.
2) As I said in my post, device manager shows the drive is working
correctly.
3) I don't believe I have such an option? Well, not that I can see.
4) No errors that I can find.

Thanks for your input

Glen.