What dual layer format dvd movies are?

haitang

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What format dvd movie that's on the market are right now? We all know they are dual layer, but is it + or -? Can someone answer this?

RichPLS

Champion
I think it is DVD-R

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What format dvd movie that's on the market are right now? We all know they are dual layer, but is it + or -? Can someone answer this?
Generally, movie DVDs are DVD-5 format which are single layer (very few these days) or DVD-9, dual layer. Neither are burned formats they are pressed from glass masters.

I know the industry is in the process of changing the description of burners to "double layer" as opposed to "dual layer". I don't know why.

As for existing burners, AFAIK, the only double layer format is still DVD+R DL. The other formats are still single layer.

<A HREF="http://www.dvdrhelp.com" target="_new">http://www.dvdrhelp.com</A> is a great site for DVD references. Looking at their DVD Player list (user supplied) you can see the players that are known to actually work with the new DVD+R DL format. Click "DVD Players" under "Lists". Put a check mark next to "DVD+R DL". Click "Search" to see the players supporting the format.

There are currently only 125 models (out of 4000+ models, new and old).

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They're right, DVD-9 is not + or -, it's a pressed format. The most commonly supported format for burned DVDs is still DVD-R and always will be (you can't go back in time and add +R to all those players people bought years ago).

Most DVD's can be shrunk to fit a DVD-R with negligable loss of quality. I use DVD Shrink.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If the movie has 3 hr or higher runtime, then you'll probably notice loss of quality.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
True! But most movies are 90-120 minutes

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Yeah, 90 min to 120 min movies are fine with single layer, especially if you remove unnecessary language tracks and special features.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

haitang

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I found out my JVC dvd player (two years olds) is not supporting DVD+R DL, only + & - single layer. But my burner is NEC ND3500A. Will it be able to upgrade firmware to support DVD-R DL in the future? And I still don't know my JVC will play DVD-R DL.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I found out my JVC dvd player (two years olds) is not supporting DVD+R DL, only + & - single layer. But my burner is NEC ND3500A.
LOL (sorry). My DVD player supports next to nothing, only DVD-R (questionable) and audio formats, CDR (Taiyo Yuden media only, plays fine but player can't find all the index points) and CDRW (4X media is all I tried but all have worked).

The player, Toshiba SD3109, is really old (6 years) so I shouldn't be surprised but it was top of the line in 1998 and cost $515 USD.

It's not a big deal because modern players that are far more capable than mine and I could replace it for less $60-100.
Will it be able to upgrade firmware to support DVD-R DL in the future? And I still don't know my JVC will play DVD-R DL.
Impossible to answer. DVD-R DL does not yet exist.

If and when it becomes available I would not give you good odds on upgrading your player unless the manufacturer promised that feature for the future.

On the other hand, you never know. It may be possible. I seem to recall that some people were claiming to be able to mod their older NEC 2500A burners to do DL but the success rate was only something like 60% with a couple people killing their burners. Perhaps DVD-R DL will be possible on your ND3500A.

I really am curious about the industry change in notation from "Dual Layer" to "Double Layer". It almost sounds like a euphamistic way of saying, "Hey we have two layer burning but if it doesn't work on your standalone player then you are SOL".

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
In my humble opinion right now dual layer dvd is not worth contemplating. The media is too expensive and the burners are too slow. I am waiting until mid-end of 2005 once 12x dual layer dvd burners are available and the media is not $10 a disc....thats an expensive coaster waiting to happen !!!!!

Confucious Say: "think before you spend" :p

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
12X? I guess I haven't really been paying attention to product specs. Are those burners faster with single layer media or are they always limited to 12X?

The reality is, many if not most people must be using DVD burners to "backup" [cough] their [cough cough] DVDs. They want double layer for the convenience of one disk backups. They will buy the burners even if they aren't all that fast.

I still don't have a need for a DVD burner but will probably get one because I don't even own a DVD-ROM drive.

By the way, whatever happened to Blu-Ray (or whatever it was to be called)?

Is there a specification yet for HDTV quality on optical media?

tmlim

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Until DL is cheaper, I use this: <A HREF="http://www.dvdshrink.org/" target="_new">http://www.dvdshrink.org/</A>

"A delayed game will eventually come out, a bad game is bad forever."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Pavelow

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
You are right about the cost but wrong about speed. The best quality and least errors are accomplished at the slowest possible burn speed regardless of your system. I would never try to burn a movie DVD at 12x!!!!!!! Even if you have a screaming system, you WILL likely get errors in the burn. The fastest media I use is 4x. When I can find 2.4x I use it instead. Unfortunately, single layer 2.4x media is not very common any more. You can still find Ritek/Ridata at Meritline.com for 45 cents a disc! All DUAL Layer media is at 2.4x. When this media goes to $1.00 per disc, scarf it up as fast as you can. Don't be fooled by speed. Speed kills quality.

Pavelow

Dell 8250, i850e 4xAGP 2.4ghzCPU 512mbPC1066RDRAM 120gbATA
GeF4MX420 SBL5.1 SamSung48xCDRW LiteOn851SDVDRW
RJ-45 to Compaq 9660, 233mhzCPU 104mbFPRAM 12mbVoodoo2 Win95a

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Pavelow, im not talking about current burners though really, your right tho to say that fast burning is not a good idea for movies as u get too many errors, all i was saying was that i want to wait on buying a dual layer burner because in the future im sure improvements will be made that will enable us to burn movies at 12x and those days are probably not very far off....

Pavelow

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
I hope you're right. They sure didn't fix it thus far. I think the burner AND the media have to be improved to allow the laser to burn that fast without errors.

Pavelow

Dell 8250, i850e 4xAGP 2.4ghzCPU 512mbPC1066RDRAM 120gb & 200gbATA
GeF4MX420 SBL5.1 SamSung48xCDRW LiteOn851SDVDRW
RJ-45 to Compaq 9660, 233mhzCPU 104mbFPRAM 12mbVoodoo2 Win95a

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Yeah, well it seems logical that gradually they are going to improve technology which hopefully should fix that typeof problem....

On a side note I have a question, when you format and redo an OS does this set the firmware on your cd/dvd burner back to whatever version it was when you bought the said burner?

pat

Expert
my old Verbatim burner (ricoh 5125a based, +r/rw) is hard to beat for movie burning...very compatible burn, bitsetting,..., but it is slow, 2.4x max, but very good burn quality...I could buy a faster one, but resist because I still have to be convinced that I could get better burn with a newer one and not only faster burn.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yeah you don't need to go DUAL layer just to fit a "whole" movie on ONE disc......

LiteON 811s + ritek DVD-R 4.7gb + dvdShrink = one DAMN good Copy

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

tmlim

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
The firmware won't change. It's not dependent on the OS.

"A delayed game will eventually come out, a bad game is bad forever."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Read through these forums...I think some brands can be flashed back.
<A HREF="http://club.cdfreaks.com/" target="_new">http://club.cdfreaks.com/</A>

....WW (5.0)