Printer dialog boxes are getting chopped off

I'm running an NVIDIA GeForce Ti 4600 128 MB video card, with the latest
drivers, and using a SONY GDM-FW900 monitor at 1600x1024.

I have a desktop display problem, which appeared after I attempted to change
various system display settings, to hopefully correct a situatuion re the
ruler's numeric markings in WP12. I also made changes to other display
variables which are provided via right-clicking the desktop, and clicking on
Properties>Settings>Advanced. After taking the steps to get the ruler's
numbers back in WP12, I did not like the side effects on other displays, so
I attempted to return all those settings that I changed, back to normal.

Unfortunately, I must not have restored things properly, as I now have a
display problem with several of my printer preference & setting windows
where I can control printer activities, and set preferences and settings for
print jobs. I've gone through the list of display items that I had played
with, but can't seem to correct the problem with those windows.

Everything looks exactly like I had it before - except 3 of my printers have
the right side of the printer dialog boxes chopped off. A large portion of
the right side of many of those windows is chopped off, and some also have
the bottomnow chopped off, with no way to access the controls that I need to
have available.

Strangely, some of my printers seem to have the dialog boxes OK. Others are
a mess.

I've tried reinstalling printer drivers, but that made no difference.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where to look, and what settings are
messing up things for me. Having this window situation makes it difficult to
use the affected printers.

Thanks -

Ron Hirsch

Malke

Ron Hirsch wrote:

> I'm running an NVIDIA GeForce Ti 4600 128 MB video card, with the
> latest drivers, and using a SONY GDM-FW900 monitor at 1600x1024.
>
> I have a desktop display problem, which appeared after I attempted to
> change various system display settings, to hopefully correct a
> situatuion re the ruler's numeric markings in WP12. I also made
> changes to other display variables which are provided via
> right-clicking the desktop, and clicking on
> Properties>Settings>Advanced. After taking the steps to get the
> ruler's numbers back in WP12, I did not like the side effects on other
> displays, so I attempted to return all those settings that I changed,
> back to normal.
>
> Unfortunately, I must not have restored things properly, as I now have
> a display problem with several of my printer preference & setting
> windows where I can control printer activities, and set preferences
> and settings for print jobs. I've gone through the list of display
> items that I had played with, but can't seem to correct the problem
> with those windows.
>
> Everything looks exactly like I had it before - except 3 of my
> printers have the right side of the printer dialog boxes chopped off.
> A large portion of the right side of many of those windows is chopped
> off, and some also have the bottomnow chopped off, with no way to
> access the controls that I need to have available.
>
> Strangely, some of my printers seem to have the dialog boxes OK.
> Others are a mess.
>
> I've tried reinstalling printer drivers, but that made no difference.

Usually doing a System Restore to a day before you started messing about
will cure this. It is certainly worth trying:

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

"Restore my computer to an earlier time."

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I tried the system restore route, with no luck. But, I'm now thinking that
the problem started when I updated my nvidia drivers a month or so ago. but
I just never spotted the problem with the printer windows.

I see that nvidia has an even newer driver posted now. I'm considering
trying it. If that is not successful, I might try doing a restore from
before I installed the current driver.

Actually I should have followed my usual pattern of "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it". I just figured that since my video driver was probably 3
years old, I'd go for the latest one.

Ron

Three years is positively ancient as video drivers go.

Ron Hirsch wrote:

> I tried the system restore route, with no luck. But, I'm now thinking that
> the problem started when I updated my nvidia drivers a month or so ago. but
> I just never spotted the problem with the printer windows.
>
> I see that nvidia has an even newer driver posted now. I'm considering
> trying it. If that is not successful, I might try doing a restore from
> before I installed the current driver.
>
> Actually I should have followed my usual pattern of "if it ain't broke,
> don't fix it". I just figured that since my video driver was probably 3
> years old, I'd go for the latest one.
>
> Ron

Bob,

I felt it was ancient also - that's why I downloaded a current nvidia
driver.

But, I became convinced that the problem was related to the new ndvidia
driver. So I used System Restore to go back a few days before I installed
the new driver, which was about 5 weeks ago.

That totally resolved all the display problems that I was having, and all is
back to normal. Now, as soon as I can reupdate, using the last MS update,
all will be well again.

Ron

You may wish to look at a driver that is NOT the very latest, but a
version one step older. Also you could try a driver rollback as opposed
to System Restore.

Ron Hirsch wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I felt it was ancient also - that's why I downloaded a current nvidia
> driver.
>
> But, I became convinced that the problem was related to the new ndvidia
> driver. So I used System Restore to go back a few days before I installed
> the new driver, which was about 5 weeks ago.
>
> That totally resolved all the display problems that I was having, and all is
> back to normal. Now, as soon as I can reupdate, using the last MS update,
> all will be well again.
>
> Ron

Bob,

Now that I have things back in order, I'm not going to rock the boat.

I had already downloaded some earlier drivers. But with everything working
as it should - it's going to stay that way. I expect to get a new system in
6 months, and I don't play any games - so all is now well.

Ron

+++++++++++++++++

> You may wish to look at a driver that is NOT the very latest, but a
> version one step older. Also you could try a driver rollback as opposed to
> System Restore.
>
> Ron Hirsch wrote:
>
>> Bob,
>>
>> I felt it was ancient also - that's why I downloaded a current nvidia
>> driver.
>>
>> But, I became convinced that the problem was related to the new ndvidia
>> driver. So I used System Restore to go back a few days before I installed
>> the new driver, which was about 5 weeks ago.
>>
>> That totally resolved all the display problems that I was having, and all
>> is back to normal. Now, as soon as I can reupdate, using the last MS
>> update, all will be well again.
>>
>> Ron

Ok, as long as you are a "happy customer". Have a good one!