Find the hidden apps!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

What software can I run (preferably for free) that will tell me what apps
are running, that aren't obvious? Over time, my system has gotten slower
and I want to try to get some of the useless junk out of the box. Then once
I find them, how do I get rid of them?

I am running XP home.

Thanks....
3 answers Last reply
More about find hidden apps
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Process Explorer, free, from www.sysinternals.com , will show you every
    running process and the % of cpu usage by each in real time......plus it
    will 'graph out' about 5 or 10 minutes (don't know the exact duration) and
    by placing your cursor over the graph, it will tell you what app was causing
    the 'spike' in usage and the %........so you don't have to be constantly
    monitoring PE.
    For PE to work on XP, you may have to download some tools from MS........it
    will tell you if needed. Of course, you can always go to Start, Programs,
    Accessories, System Tools, System Information, Software Environment, Running
    Tasks and it should give you a good idea of what is running and where it is
    coming from.

    Once the app is identified, the first place to look for removal should be
    Add/Remove in Control Panel. If it is something you want to keep, just not
    start at boot, you should have that option in the app settings or you could
    uncheck it from Startup in MSCONFIG.

    Don't forget regular mtce. after you have removed the items you no longer
    want. Disk Cleanup and Defrag (in System Tools) would surely help.
    Heirloom, old and hope this helps

    "Paul Simon" <psimon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > What software can I run (preferably for free) that will tell me what apps
    > are running, that aren't obvious? Over time, my system has gotten slower
    > and I want to try to get some of the useless junk out of the box. Then
    > once
    > I find them, how do I get rid of them?
    >
    > I am running XP home.
    >
    > Thanks....

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Autoruns
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

    Silent Runners
    http://www.silentrunners.org/index.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:efRkO9khFHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Paul Simon <psimon@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > What software can I run (preferably for free) that will tell me what apps
    > are running, that aren't obvious? Over time, my system has gotten slower
    > and I want to try to get some of the useless junk out of the box. Then
    > once I find them, how do I get rid of them?
    >
    > I am running XP home.
    >
    > Thanks....
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Paul Simon" <psimon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > What software can I run (preferably for free) that will tell me what apps
    > are running, that aren't obvious? Over time, my system has gotten slower
    > and I want to try to get some of the useless junk out of the box. Then
    > once
    > I find them, how do I get rid of them?
    >
    > I am running XP home.
    >
    > Thanks....

    Control-Alt-Delete, Read the dialogue box and choose the appropriate tab.

Support Apps Microsoft Windows XP