Trouble Restoring Backup in WinXP Pro SP2

July 11, 2005 7:04:01 PM

I'm trying to restore one file from a backup that was made this morning at
1:00 a.m. That file is in a folder that contains sub-folders in addition to
a whole string of files that are not in sub-folders The file I need is one
of those that are not in sub-folders. However I cant get the standard WinXP
Pro Restore program to display the individual file names in any folder or
sub-folder. How can I get Restore to display the names of individual files
in a given folder, so that I can restore that file only?

I shall greatly appreciate your help with this.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
July 11, 2005 7:36:25 PM

" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o J9fuOlhFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> I'm trying to restore one file from a backup that was made this
> morning at 1:00 a.m. That file is in a folder that contains
> sub-folders in addition to a whole string of files that are not in
> sub-folders The file I need is one of those that are not in
> sub-folders. However I cant get the standard WinXP Pro Restore
> program to display the individual file names in any folder or
> sub-folder. How can I get Restore to display the names of individual
> files in a given folder, so that I can restore that file only?

I use Backup Exec Desktop from Veritas of which the Windows NT included
Backup program is a crippled copy of (it was later bought from Veritas
by Stomp Inc). When I look at a folder, the files within it are listed,
so I'm at a quandry why you don't see your files. What *type* of backup
did you run at 1 AM today?

If the backup types that have ever been done were incrementals but the
archive bit had never been set on the file then it would have never been
included in an incremental backup. A full backup clears the archive bit
but there are other means of changing the archive bit, like from the DOS
command using the ATTRIB command. If the archive bit is not set, an
incremental backup won't include that file. When the file gets created
or changed, the archive bit gets set so the incremental backup will
include it (if it is still set by the time the incremental backup is
executed).

Are *any* files listed in the Restore, or just folders? Under Restore,
did you pick the media type that matches what you used, if more than one
media type is listed?
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:48:22 PM

Hi Vanguard!

Thanks for your interest in and concern for this problem It is strange.

The Daily Backup replaces the prior backup. So, there's nothing incremental
about it. The Daily Backup file (which is on a separate hard disk is
599,193kb in size, so, there must be some files in the backup. Restore
shows all of the folders that should be there. However I can't get Restore
to display any files in any folders. ;-(:::
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
"Vanguard" <Vangu@rd.invalid> wrote in message
news:o FGK2glhFHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:o J9fuOlhFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> I'm trying to restore one file from a backup that was made this morning
>> at 1:00 a.m. That file is in a folder that contains sub-folders in
>> addition to a whole string of files that are not in sub-folders The file
>> I need is one of those that are not in sub-folders. However I cant get
>> the standard WinXP Pro Restore program to display the individual file
>> names in any folder or sub-folder. How can I get Restore to display the
>> names of individual files in a given folder, so that I can restore that
>> file only?
>

> I use Backup Exec Desktop from Veritas of which the Windows NT included
> Backup program is a crippled copy of (it was later bought from Veritas by
> Stomp Inc). When I look at a folder, the files within it are listed, so
> I'm at a quandry why you don't see your files. What *type* of backup did
> you run at 1 AM today?
>
> If the backup types that have ever been done were incrementals but the
> archive bit had never been set on the file then it would have never been
> included in an incremental backup. A full backup clears the archive bit
> but there are other means of changing the archive bit, like from the DOS
> command using the ATTRIB command. If the archive bit is not set, an
> incremental backup won't include that file. When the file gets created or
> changed, the archive bit gets set so the incremental backup will include
> it (if it is still set by the time the incremental backup is executed).
>
> Are *any* files listed in the Restore, or just folders? Under Restore,
> did you pick the media type that matches what you used, if more than one
> media type is listed?
July 11, 2005 7:48:23 PM

> Hi Vanguard!
>
> Thanks for your interest in and concern for this problem It is strange.
>
> The Daily Backup replaces the prior backup. So, there's nothing
> incremental about it. The Daily Backup file (which is on a separate hard
> disk is 599,193kb in size, so, there must be some files in the backup.
> Restore shows all of the folders that should be there. However I can't
> get Restore to display any files in any folders. ;-(:::
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith

Normally you should be able to see the files. 599,193 kb is about the size
of one CDROM. Would your backup fit on one CD? It is likely that the backup
procedure is not working properly. A backup system should always be tested
periodically with a restore to an alternate location to make sure it is
working properly. I know this doesn't help with your current situation but
it looks like you may have lost those files.

Kerry

> "Vanguard" <Vangu@rd.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o FGK2glhFHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>news:o J9fuOlhFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> I'm trying to restore one file from a backup that was made this morning
>>> at 1:00 a.m. That file is in a folder that contains sub-folders in
>>> addition to a whole string of files that are not in sub-folders The
>>> file I need is one of those that are not in sub-folders. However I cant
>>> get the standard WinXP Pro Restore program to display the individual
>>> file names in any folder or sub-folder. How can I get Restore to
>>> display the names of individual files in a given folder, so that I can
>>> restore that file only?
>>

>> I use Backup Exec Desktop from Veritas of which the Windows NT included
>> Backup program is a crippled copy of (it was later bought from Veritas by
>> Stomp Inc). When I look at a folder, the files within it are listed, so
>> I'm at a quandry why you don't see your files. What *type* of backup did
>> you run at 1 AM today?
>>
>> If the backup types that have ever been done were incrementals but the
>> archive bit had never been set on the file then it would have never been
>> included in an incremental backup. A full backup clears the archive bit
>> but there are other means of changing the archive bit, like from the DOS
>> command using the ATTRIB command. If the archive bit is not set, an
>> incremental backup won't include that file. When the file gets created
>> or changed, the archive bit gets set so the incremental backup will
>> include it (if it is still set by the time the incremental backup is
>> executed).
>>
>> Are *any* files listed in the Restore, or just folders? Under Restore,
>> did you pick the media type that matches what you used, if more than one
>> media type is listed?

July 11, 2005 8:48:46 PM

" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi Vanguard!
>
> Thanks for your interest in and concern for this problem It is
> strange.
>
> The Daily Backup replaces the prior backup. So, there's nothing
> incremental about it. The Daily Backup file (which is on a separate
> hard disk is 599,193kb in size, so, there must be some files in the
> backup. Restore shows all of the folders that should be there.
> However I can't get Restore to display any files in any folders.
> ;-(:::
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith
> "Vanguard" <Vangu@rd.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o FGK2glhFHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>news:o J9fuOlhFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> I'm trying to restore one file from a backup that was made this
>>> morning at 1:00 a.m. That file is in a folder that contains
>>> sub-folders in addition to a whole string of files that are not in
>>> sub-folders The file I need is one of those that are not in
>>> sub-folders. However I cant get the standard WinXP Pro Restore
>>> program to display the individual file names in any folder or
>>> sub-folder. How can I get Restore to display the names of
>>> individual files in a given folder, so that I can restore that file
>>> only?
>>

>> I use Backup Exec Desktop from Veritas of which the Windows NT
>> included Backup program is a crippled copy of (it was later bought
>> from Veritas by Stomp Inc). When I look at a folder, the files
>> within it are listed, so I'm at a quandry why you don't see your
>> files. What *type* of backup did you run at 1 AM today?
>>
>> If the backup types that have ever been done were incrementals but
>> the archive bit had never been set on the file then it would have
>> never been included in an incremental backup. A full backup clears
>> the archive bit but there are other means of changing the archive
>> bit, like from the DOS command using the ATTRIB command. If the
>> archive bit is not set, an incremental backup won't include that
>> file. When the file gets created or changed, the archive bit gets
>> set so the incremental backup will include it (if it is still set by
>> the time the incremental backup is executed).
>>
>> Are *any* files listed in the Restore, or just folders? Under
>> Restore, did you pick the media type that matches what you used, if
>> more than one media type is listed?

Where you logged in under an admin-level account when you attempted the
restore?

The backup program will exclude any files that are inuse. However, I
thought the backup program would use shadow copying to get a copy of
these files but that probably requires that the Volume Shadow Copy
service not be disabled. It doesn't need to be pre-started but must be
Manual for the application to start it when called. It is possible,
however, that some other application had the file locked out (even the
explorer.exe process used for the desktop will do this occasionally).
See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=104169.

Are you configuring a backup, saving it to a .bkf file, and then loading
that .bkf file to define what you want to backup? Or are you just
opening the backup utility and configuring it on-the-fly each time you
use it? If the latter, maybe you forgot to actually include the folder
where you are looking for files. If you are loading a .bkf
configuration file then open Backup, load the .bkf file, and check that
you have that folder's files included.

Was EFS (encryption file system) involved at all for the folder or files
in question?
July 11, 2005 8:53:33 PM

> " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Vanguard!
>>
>> Thanks for your interest in and concern for this problem It is
>> strange.
>>
>> The Daily Backup replaces the prior backup. So, there's nothing
>> incremental about it. The Daily Backup file (which is on a separate
>> hard disk is 599,193kb in size, so, there must be some files in the
>> backup. Restore shows all of the folders that should be there.
>> However I can't get Restore to display any files in any folders.
>> ;-(:::

Hmm, although AA Smith said that he was saving the backup to a hard
drive, maybe it really was to a CD-R[W] disc. The backup utility
included in NT-based versions of Windows will only span multiple backup
media *if* it is tape media. It will not span hard drives, removable
hard drvies, Zip drives, or CD media. So if Smith was backing up to
CD-R disc, the backup may have recorded the directory structure present
at the time the backup started but quit when the CD-R got full because
the backup program won't span nor prompt for another CD-R. Other than
tape cartridges, you need a 3rd party backup program to span backup
media.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:14:17 AM

Hi, again, Vanguard!

I backup to a second hard drive on the same computer. That drive is far and
away more than large enough to contain the 599,193kb backup file. And, I'm
running WindowsXP Pro SP2. As it happens, I actually recovered a file from
a Daily Backup on that drive a few days ago with no problem. And all of the
files displayed then. Moreover, I have not changed the Backup itself since
I set it up several years ago.

Something odd happened on that computer last night that was not resolved
until I rebooted this morning. It is one computer in a LAN of 5 computers
all of which are running WinXP Pro SP2. About 12:40 a,m. I was working on
another computer in the LAN and editing a file on the computer that
developed the Backup problem. At that 12:40 a.m., the computer I was using
lost access to the computer that later failed to backup properly. I suspect
that had something to do with the faulty backup, though I can't explain how
it created all of those folders an reported storing 599,193kb in the backup,
and yet I can't get a single file to display in the Restore program's
display. Very strange...
--

>> " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi Vanguard!
>>>
>>> Thanks for your interest in and concern for this problem It is strange.
>>>
>>> The Daily Backup replaces the prior backup. So, there's nothing
>>> incremental about it. The Daily Backup file (which is on a separate
>>> hard disk is 599,193kb in size, so, there must be some files in the
>>> backup. Restore shows all of the folders that should be there. However I
>>> can't get Restore to display any files in any folders. ;-(:::
>

> Hmm, although AA Smith said that he was saving the backup to a hard drive,
> maybe it really was to a CD-R[W] disc. The backup utility included in
> NT-based versions of Windows will only span multiple backup media *if* it
> is tape media. It will not span hard drives, removable hard drvies, Zip
> drives, or CD media. So if Smith was backing up to CD-R disc, the backup
> may have recorded the directory structure present at the time the backup
> started but quit when the CD-R got full because the backup program won't
> span nor prompt for another CD-R. Other than tape cartridges, you need a
> 3rd party backup program to span backup media.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:19:25 AM

No, I was not logged in as the Administrator, however, my regular user ID is
set as an Administrator. And... I was able to open another day's backup
recently when I was not logged in as the Administrator. I am the owner of
that file. So, I shouldn't have had any problem accessing the files within
last night's backup. And the file was not encrypted.
--

> [...]
> be disabled. It doesn't need to be pre-started but must be Manual for the
> application to start it when called. It is possible, however, that some
> other application had the file locked out (even the explorer.exe process
> used for the desktop will do this occasionally). See
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=104169.
>
> Are you configuring a backup, saving it to a .bkf file, and then loading
> that .bkf file to define what you want to backup? Or are you just opening
> the backup utility and configuring it on-the-fly each time you use it? If
> the latter, maybe you forgot to actually include the folder where you are
> looking for files. If you are loading a .bkf configuration file then open
> Backup, load the .bkf file, and check that you have that folder's files
> included.
>
> Was EFS (encryption file system) involved at all for the folder or files
July 12, 2005 2:34:11 AM

> No, I was not logged in as the Administrator, however, my regular user
> ID is set as an Administrator. And... I was able to open another
> day's backup recently when I was not logged in as the Administrator.
> I am the owner of that file. So, I shouldn't have had any problem
> accessing the files within last night's backup. And the file was not
> encrypted.
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith
>

> "Vanguard" <Vangu@rd.invalid> wrote in message
>>" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi Vanguard!
>>>
>>> Thanks for your interest in and concern for this problem It is
>>> strange.
>>>
>>> The Daily Backup replaces the prior backup. So, there's nothing
>>> incremental about it. The Daily Backup file (which is on a separate
>>> hard disk is 599,193kb in size, so, there must be some files in the
>>> backup. Restore shows all of the folders that should be there.
>>> However I can't get Restore to display any files in any folders.
>>> ;-(:::
>>> --
>>> With kindest regards,
>>>
>>> Dick Smith
>>> "Vanguard" <Vangu@rd.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:o FGK2glhFHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

>> Where you logged in under an admin-level account when you attempted
>> the restore?
>>
>> The backup program will exclude any files that are inuse. However, I
>> thought the backup program would use shadow copying to get a copy of
>> these files but that probably requires that the Volume Shadow Copy
>> service not be disabled. It doesn't need to be pre-started but must
>> be Manual for the application to start it when called. It is
>> possible, however, that some other application had the file locked
>> out (even the explorer.exe process used for the desktop will do this
>> occasionally). See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=104169.
>>
>> Are you configuring a backup, saving it to a .bkf file, and then
>> just opening the backup utility and configuring it on-the-fly each
>> time you use it? If the latter, maybe you forgot to actually include
>> the folder where you are looking for files. If you are loading a
>> .bkf configuration file then open Backup, load the .bkf file, and
>> check that you have that folder's files included.
>>
>> Was EFS (encryption file system) involved at all for the folder or
>> files in question?

Any account in the Administrators group will do. I'm wondering if the
catalog is corrupted. It's been awhile and I've only had to do it twice
where I need to rebuild the catalog by scanning through the backup
media. I was using tapes instead of a hard drive so I had to feed in
all the tapes in the backups sets to rebuild the catalog. I was also
using the full version instead of the crippled version include in
Windows. However, the help for the Backup utility included in Windows
says you right-click on the backup media type (that you used and for
which catalogs would have been created) and the context menu should have
some catalog related entries to select from. However, I save a drive
image of the OS partition before rebuilding the catalog since who knows
what you'll end up with after some catalog action.
!