USB drive mapping

July 11, 2005 5:52:14 PM

Is there anyway to designate which drive letters a USB storage device will
take?

I have a WinXP Pro, SP2, workstation attached to a domain and I have several
mapped drives that are assigned to me. Additionally, I have one floppy, two
hard drives and two CD drives. These take up A, C, D, E, and F. The
mappings use G, I, N and Z. The probelm occurs when I plug in any type of
USB storage device (my thumb drive or cammera). It automatically gets
assigned G drive. I can access the USB device but when I go to properties, I
get the mapped drives info. Ultimately I would like to designate drive
letters P and/or Q.

Can it be done or is it supposed to do it and I am actully having a problem?

Thanks for your help!

More about : usb drive mapping

July 11, 2005 6:19:02 PM

Hi,

It can be done. What you need to do is:

1. Plug your thumb drive in
2. Right click my computer and go to manage
3. Go to disk managment
4. Find your Thumb drive in the upper portion of the screen and right click
it.
5. Select Drive letters and paths
6. Designate a drive letter that isn't being used to connect to a network
drive.
7. Problem solved.

Hope that helps!
_Dan_

"Armyeric" wrote:

> Is there anyway to designate which drive letters a USB storage device will
> take?
>
> I have a WinXP Pro, SP2, workstation attached to a domain and I have several
> mapped drives that are assigned to me. Additionally, I have one floppy, two
> hard drives and two CD drives. These take up A, C, D, E, and F. The
> mappings use G, I, N and Z. The probelm occurs when I plug in any type of
> USB storage device (my thumb drive or cammera). It automatically gets
> assigned G drive. I can access the USB device but when I go to properties, I
> get the mapped drives info. Ultimately I would like to designate drive
> letters P and/or Q.
>
> Can it be done or is it supposed to do it and I am actully having a problem?
>
> Thanks for your help!
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:39:40 PM

Is there any way to keep the system from searching the external drive and
finding media? Everytime I plug the drive in it does this.

> Hi,
>
> It can be done. What you need to do is:
>
> 1. Plug your thumb drive in
> 2. Right click my computer and go to manage
> 3. Go to disk managment
> 4. Find your Thumb drive in the upper portion of the screen and right
> click
> it.
> 5. Select Drive letters and paths
> 6. Designate a drive letter that isn't being used to connect to a network
> drive.
> 7. Problem solved.
>
> Hope that helps!
> _Dan_
>
> "Armyeric" wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway to designate which drive letters a USB storage device
>> will
>> take?
>>
>> I have a WinXP Pro, SP2, workstation attached to a domain and I have
>> several
>> mapped drives that are assigned to me. Additionally, I have one floppy,
>> two
>> hard drives and two CD drives. These take up A, C, D, E, and F. The
>> mappings use G, I, N and Z. The probelm occurs when I plug in any type
>> of
>> USB storage device (my thumb drive or cammera). It automatically gets
>> assigned G drive. I can access the USB device but when I go to
>> properties, I
>> get the mapped drives info. Ultimately I would like to designate drive
>> letters P and/or Q.
>>
>> Can it be done or is it supposed to do it and I am actully having a
>> problem?
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
July 11, 2005 11:23:08 PM

Hi,

Its best to assign drive letters backwards from Z: to network drives. Alternatively, you can also
reassign the drive letter for the USB drive through the disk management snap-in.

How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844/

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Armyeric" <Armyeric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there anyway to designate which drive letters a USB storage device will
> take?
>
> I have a WinXP Pro, SP2, workstation attached to a domain and I have several
> mapped drives that are assigned to me. Additionally, I have one floppy, two
> hard drives and two CD drives. These take up A, C, D, E, and F. The
> mappings use G, I, N and Z. The probelm occurs when I plug in any type of
> USB storage device (my thumb drive or cammera). It automatically gets
> assigned G drive. I can access the USB device but when I go to properties, I
> get the mapped drives info. Ultimately I would like to designate drive
> letters P and/or Q.
>
> Can it be done or is it supposed to do it and I am actully having a problem?
>
> Thanks for your help!
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:05:26 PM

R-click on the drive, Properties, Autoplay. set to suit taste.

Alpha wrote:

> Is there any way to keep the system from searching the external drive and
> finding media? Everytime I plug the drive in it does this.
>
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>It can be done. What you need to do is:
>>
>>1. Plug your thumb drive in
>>2. Right click my computer and go to manage
>>3. Go to disk managment
>>4. Find your Thumb drive in the upper portion of the screen and right
>>click
>>it.
>>5. Select Drive letters and paths
>>6. Designate a drive letter that isn't being used to connect to a network
>>drive.
>>7. Problem solved.
>>
>>Hope that helps!
>>_Dan_
>>
>>"Armyeric" wrote:
>>

>>>Is there anyway to designate which drive letters a USB storage device
>>>will
>>>take?
>>>
>>>I have a WinXP Pro, SP2, workstation attached to a domain and I have
>>>several
>>>mapped drives that are assigned to me. Additionally, I have one floppy,
>>>two
>>>hard drives and two CD drives. These take up A, C, D, E, and F. The
>>>mappings use G, I, N and Z. The probelm occurs when I plug in any type
>>>of
>>>USB storage device (my thumb drive or cammera). It automatically gets
>>>assigned G drive. I can access the USB device but when I go to
>>>properties, I
>>>get the mapped drives info. Ultimately I would like to designate drive
>>>letters P and/or Q.
>>>
>>>Can it be done or is it supposed to do it and I am actully having a
>>>problem?
>>>
>>>Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:08:57 AM

I appreciate the replies, but they do not solve the problem. I cannot right
click the drive letter and set autoplay to off and have it stick. Everytime
I power up the external drives, it re-establishes the drive letters and
immediately autoplays.

"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
> Is there any way to keep the system from searching the external drive and
> finding media? Everytime I plug the drive in it does this.
>
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> It can be done. What you need to do is:
>>
>> 1. Plug your thumb drive in
>> 2. Right click my computer and go to manage
>> 3. Go to disk managment
>> 4. Find your Thumb drive in the upper portion of the screen and right
>> click
>> it.
>> 5. Select Drive letters and paths
>> 6. Designate a drive letter that isn't being used to connect to a network
>> drive.
>> 7. Problem solved.
>>
>> Hope that helps!
>> _Dan_
>>
>> "Armyeric" wrote:
>>
>>> Is there anyway to designate which drive letters a USB storage device
>>> will
>>> take?
>>>
>>> I have a WinXP Pro, SP2, workstation attached to a domain and I have
>>> several
>>> mapped drives that are assigned to me. Additionally, I have one floppy,
>>> two
>>> hard drives and two CD drives. These take up A, C, D, E, and F. The
>>> mappings use G, I, N and Z. The probelm occurs when I plug in any type
>>> of
>>> USB storage device (my thumb drive or cammera). It automatically gets
>>> assigned G drive. I can access the USB device but when I go to
>>> properties, I
>>> get the mapped drives info. Ultimately I would like to designate drive
>>> letters P and/or Q.
>>>
>>> Can it be done or is it supposed to do it and I am actully having a
>>> problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help!

December 2, 2009 2:53:55 AM

best thing that could happen to me. i was using itunes and importing my music from there. sometimes when i turned the hard drive on it went to a different drive letter and itunes would not be able to locate music from the new destination and i would have to re-import my tunes all over again. it was a huge pain in the ass as i rated all my songs according to my favourites and sorted them accordingly into playlists.

Quote:
How To: Assign Specific Drive Letter to USB Drive
07.27.09 & Falls Into| USB Tutorials

Sometimes you need a USB stick to always use the same drive letter. Whether it’s backup software needing to point to a specific storage device, or you use a Windows Office application which requires a specific drive letter - sometimes it is just needed.

Given that Windows will assign a drive letter as a first-come, first serve basis to removable media it can get frustrating to always try for the same drive letter. Here is one way to assign a specific drive letter to a USB drive.

Before you can assign a drive letter to a USB device, take a look at what drive letters you have available. This will vary depending on what’s connected, networked drives and mapped drives in your system. Simply go to START > MY COMPUTER and take a look.

Next, plug in your USB drive to your computer and let Windows enumerate it [see it].

Navigate to: START > CONTROL PANEL > ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS > COMPUTER MANAGEMENT >

An alternate way to get to the same spot is START > RUN > “diskmgmt.msc”

( http://www.getusb.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/07280... for screenshot if above image can not be viewed.)

assign drive letter to USB

In the left panel expand the Disk Management icon. On the right side you’ll see all the drives available. Right click on the Removable drive and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths”

Click the Add button and choose a drive letter not already in use from the drop-down list. Click OK.

Now exit or close all the dialogue windows and you’re set. Now, each time this specific USB stick is plugged in, Windows will assign it the same drive letter.

Note: Windows is associating the serial number of the device to the request you’ve entered above, SO, you’ll need to perform this same process for different flash drives.

Spread the word and enjoy.
!