Sign in with
Your question

BSOD PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Last response: in Windows 7
September 12, 2012 6:03:35 PM

Hello,

System: Compaq CQ61-313US
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - SP1 - Fresh Install

I continuously get BSOD PFN_LIST_CORRUPT when i run the system in Normal mode.

bluescreenview (from nirsoft) says it is ntoskrnl.exe+80640 is the cause

I have checked
a. Memtest86 and memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostics - No Errors
b. SFC /Verifyonly - No errors reported

The system runs fine in "Safe Mode with Networking"

I suspect it is an incompatible driver - cannot figure out which one - Please help.

More about : bsod pfn list corrupt

a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2012 6:24:08 PM

Can you provide details from the crash dump? Sorry i see you did provide part of it.

I suggest disabling some of your drivers until you find the culprit. You can do this by entering msconfig in the run box and removing the check marks from the drive you think is causing the problem.
September 13, 2012 3:55:07 AM

I have already disabled all non-Microsoft drivers and services in msconfig.
I will provide details of the minidump/crashdump.

I suspect it is one of Microsoft drivers/services - bluescreenview says ntoskrnl.exe.
I have no clue on which driver to suspect - I have updated all the drivers in DeviceManager.
Related resources
September 13, 2012 4:04:53 AM

This usually means a driver has corrupted the Memory Manager's page frame list. ntoskrnl.exe is likely NOT the culprit but it is the one that triggers the BSOD once it detects that somebody corrupted its lists. I also highly doubt that you've turned off all 3rd party drivers, since there's no real straightforward way to do this without doing it manually by modifying the registry or doing some advanced Device Manager stuff. If your RAM is fine, it's most likely a 3rd party driver causing the corruption. If it was a major MS driver doing it, we'd all likely be having issues with it which we obviously aren't (and it would be caught by MS QA labs pretty fast too).

EDIT: If you upload your minidump somewhere, I can analyze it in WinDbg.
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 12:13:10 PM

This is one of the BSOD's that typically points to memory corruption. Run memtest86 and report results.
September 14, 2012 4:06:19 AM

I have run memtest86, memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors reported.

Please note that the system works fine in Safe mode.

Please suggest.
September 14, 2012 4:39:54 AM

I analyzed it and it looks like there's some particularly nasty corruption going on. Check if you have a file C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP and upload it if you do. The minidump doesn't have all the information I need to look at the PFNs.
!