Exceptional 24" LCD's

bassa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
God damn it's hard to find an exceptional 22-24" LCD Display these days! 8O

But anyway, I've been scouring the web for reviews and thoughts on the latest development, as well as LCD pricing and quality.

I've found a smaller range of high-quality LCD's, check out this list below:

SyncMaster 24" 245B

Samsung SyncMaster 24" 244T

ViewSonic 24" Widescreen VX2435wm

Eizo ColorEdge 24" CE240W

Dell UltraSharp 24" 2407WFP

I'm very keen on the Samsung 244T Display, but still also in doubt.

The Eizo is supposedly the best LCD Display for fast gaming, but it comes at a very steep price.

Dell Ultrasharp is also supposedly a very good Display.

Anyone has some thoughts on this?

Anyone own any of these LCD's, and would like to add a comment or two?

Cheers,
Bassa

This is the first 24" LCD monitor to use a 6-bit TN panel. Generally I dislike TN panels, but if you want fast response times then supposedly this is the panel to get.

Not very familiar with this one, there are some good reviews for it. But this monitor has been out for some time. It has a response time of 16ms, therefore it is not the best for gaming. But it should be good for just about everything else. I never really researched this monitor because I hate the way it looks.

I've seen this one around, but haven't really paid much attention to it. There isn't really much info about this monitor. There had been rumors that this monitor was going to use a 6-bit TN panel just like the Samsung 245B before this monitor was released. But looking at the specs tells me that is not the case.

It has a gray-to-gray response of 8ms which is average for an 8-bit P-MVA or S-PVA panel. Viewsonic was also kind enough to list black-to-black response time of 20ms. Not too many companies list BTB response times anymore.

If I were a graphics designer or photo editor, then this is the monitor I would buy. Eizo is known for making high quality monitors, but they are more geared towards professionals rather than the average consumer. This monitor uses an 8-bit S-IPS panel and is generally considered the Holy Grail when it comes to panel technology. 16ms response times means that you are likely to ghosting effects if you were to play games on it.

Two things that are behind the high price of this monitor is the S-IPS panel and that it is a "10-bit" monitor. The reason why I say "10-bits" is because it is really an 8-bit monitor, but it uses color table for even more color precision than your typical 8-bit monitor.

If you workout the math, a real 10-bit LCD panel (which does not exist) would be able to produce 1.073 trillion colors, instead of 16.7 million that an 8-bit panel can display.

This is a very good display. It is also not that expensive. It is currently on sale for around $570 in the US. That's before shipping and taxes.

The current Dell 2407 is up to revision A04, but I am sure there are some revision A03 still in Dell's warehouses so you may end up with that one. What's the difference? I don't know. Supposedly the panel is slightly better. But this is a very good LCD monitor from what I've read.

=====================================

I too am on the hunt for a 24" LCD. Currently, the BenQ FP241WZ is on my shortlist, and the Dell 2407 is also under consideration.

I am also considering two LCD monitors from Planar. They are a lesser known company who's main line of business is in the medical / industrial sector. But they have good monitors for the consumer market. In fact my current 4 year-old monitor is a Planar PX191.

I'm looking at the Planar PX2411W and the PX2611W (26" LCD). The PX2411 is not out yet, end of June maybe? However, the PX2611 is currently available for $999 at Newegg.com.

After doing some searching around I've found out that the PX2611W uses a S-IPS panel which is rated at 5ms (someone was kind enough to post an e-mail reply from Planar over at HardForum). 5ms for a 26" LCD is amazing especially since it is an 8-bit panel. That's the type of response time I would expect from an inferior 6-bit TN panel.

Anywaste, trying to get detailed specifications from Planar is harder than pulling teeth. I sent an e-mail to Planar to ask what type of panel technology does the PX2411 and PX2611 uses. Hopefully, this will verify the fact that the PX2611 does in fact use a S-IPS panel.

Ultimately, I think I'm looking at the BenQ FP241WZ or the Planar PX2611W.

BenQ FP241WZ Review

Planar PX2411 Product Page

Planar PX2611 Product Page

HardForum thread about the PX2611W.

bassa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Another thing that worries me, is the fact that if you hook up a LCD display at maximum resolution, say 1920 x 1200 for a 24" display, you'll have to accept a very low frequency of 60 Hz.

To me, that's just unacceptable.

If I were to work with a 60 Hz frequency, I'd rather go hang myself. I can tell the difference easily, because I work so much with digital computer graphics.

But on the other hand, I'm rather uncertain of how 60 Hz frequency is experienced on LCD displays. On CRT monitors, which I've always sworn to thus far, I can easily see the difference between 85 Hz and 75 Hz. And 60 Hz is just way too low for me, on a CRT monitor.

Do they feel the same, though? I mean, the 60 Hz frequency LCD compared to a 60 Hz frequency on a CRT? If yes, I'm gonna sob the rest of the day.

Cheers,
Bassa

bassa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Damn, that Planar PX2611W looks HOT!

Great specifications, too. Is it available for purchase anywhere yet? I'll guarantee you that I'll be going through hell and back trying to purchase it here in my country, and it's not like we're some backyard hole with no high-end gear.

I think it's because the Planar brand isn't that established over here yet, seeing their main business line is in the medical industry.

Cheers,
Bassa

bassa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
That's absolutely hillarious and ridiculous. Just noticed that newegg.com's got a no-return policy if the LCD Display has less than 8 dead pixels.

Hehe.

I'd go crazy if I saw just one.

Cheers,
Bassa

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
bassa: 60Hz in a LCD is quite unlike 60Hz in a CRT. Both of my LCDs are at 60Hz and the picture is quite fine.

Prior to this, I had a 22'' Diamondtron CRT at 85Hz

I have the 24'' LCD Dell 2407fpw and would recommend it, both for office work or gaming.

bassa: 60Hz in a LCD is quite unlike 60Hz in a CRT. Both of my LCDs are at 60Hz and the picture is quite fine.

What Stefx says is true.

CRTs and LCDs are not based on the same operating principals. LCDs are not refreshed line by line like in a CRT monitor.

60MHz is pretty much standard for all LCD monitors. Some LCDs specs state they can operate up to 85MHz, but it is not recommended. Why? I do not know.

That's absolutely hillarious and ridiculous. Just noticed that newegg.com's got a no-return policy if the LCD Display has less than 8 dead pixels.

That is pretty much standard policy in the US for any store.

I bought my Planar PX191 thru Dell. I don't recall what their policy was though. I was more interested in Planar's return policy.

4 years ago Planar had one of the best, if not the best return policy. I distinctly remember that they explicitly stated a one dead pixel return policy on their website. Unfortunately, it is no longer there. Perhaps the return rate was a bit too high. Who knows?

However, Planar still has the 2-day replacement plan and free return shipping. I'm just happy that even after 4 years my PX191 has absolutely no dead or stuck pixels.

Maybe Dell will carry the PX2611W in the near feature. I certainly hope so since every now and then Dell has sales.

bassa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
I noticed that Planar's got a few european resellers. If I have to order it from the US I gotta pay another +25% because of international taxation. :?

The choice is between Dell and Planar now.

You bought a Planar display through Dell? Checked their site, they don't seem to do that anymore?

Cheers,
Bassa

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
well i just got it (A04 model) and its dam big :) sharp & clean. I would say its not better than my high end 21" crt just bigger.
Im testing a few games on high res (1920x1200)but i think i need to upgrade my graphic card now :( 6800gt just doesnt cut it anymore.
thumbs up 8) ill get a 512+ meg gard
I like to know how to test for dead pixels i cant see any as of yet.
I aslo use it for stock trading where i would have 13 charts on the screen at the same time fitting ok, i now have 23 with space to spear.