Password locking me out?

Hi All....
This is a password issue, I believe.
I am trying to access a hard drive to recover/save some data (pictures
primarily) from a crashed computer. FYI: the computer will not start up..
the power supply is on, cd drives open and close, the hard drive is spinning
but the processor fan is not moving (although it spins freely when i blow on
it). I am assuming that there is a defect in the processor/mother board.
no problem. i removed the hard drive and attached it as a secondary hard
drive (through USB connection). when i try to access the documents and
settings folder, i see the profile i want to access but clicking on it gives
me an access denied message.
there was a logon password for the computer. does this have anything to do
with why i cannot access the folder?
if so, is there a way to remove the password so i can access it or a
place/way to enter the password?

All help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thank you

Lorne
3 answers Last reply
More about password locking

    Hi Lorne,

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:esQZ88lhFHA.1052@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hi All....
    > This is a password issue, I believe.
    > I am trying to access a hard drive to recover/save some data (pictures
    > primarily) from a crashed computer. FYI: the computer will not start up..
    > the power supply is on, cd drives open and close, the hard drive is spinning
    > but the processor fan is not moving (although it spins freely when i blow on
    > it). I am assuming that there is a defect in the processor/mother board.
    > no problem. i removed the hard drive and attached it as a secondary hard
    > drive (through USB connection). when i try to access the documents and
    > settings folder, i see the profile i want to access but clicking on it gives
    > me an access denied message.
    > there was a logon password for the computer. does this have anything to do
    > with why i cannot access the folder?
    > if so, is there a way to remove the password so i can access it or a
    > place/way to enter the password?
    >
    > All help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > Lorne

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

    NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has administrative
    privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in order to have access to
    the Security tab, you must first start in Safe Mode and log on with an account that
    has Administrative rights.

    "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All....
    > This is a password issue, I believe.
    > I am trying to access a hard drive to recover/save some data (pictures
    > primarily) from a crashed computer. FYI: the computer will not start up..
    > the power supply is on, cd drives open and close, the hard drive is spinning
    > but the processor fan is not moving (although it spins freely when i blow on
    > it). I am assuming that there is a defect in the processor/mother board.
    > no problem. i removed the hard drive and attached it as a secondary hard
    > drive (through USB connection). when i try to access the documents and
    > settings folder, i see the profile i want to access but clicking on it gives
    > me an access denied message.
    > there was a logon password for the computer. does this have anything to do
    > with why i cannot access the folder?
    > if so, is there a way to remove the password so i can access it or a
    > place/way to enter the password?
    >
    > All help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > Lorne

    thanks guys... but... i cant log on as the computer is no longer living!
    the hard drive is attached as a slave on another computer.

    "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
    > HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    >
    > NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has
    administrative
    > privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in order to have
    access to
    > the Security tab, you must first start in Safe Mode and log on with an
    account that
    > has Administrative rights.
    >
    > "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    >

    > "lorne" <stoner_123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi All....
    > > This is a password issue, I believe.
    > > I am trying to access a hard drive to recover/save some data (pictures
    > > primarily) from a crashed computer. FYI: the computer will not start
    up..
    > > the power supply is on, cd drives open and close, the hard drive is
    spinning
    > > but the processor fan is not moving (although it spins freely when i
    blow on
    > > it). I am assuming that there is a defect in the processor/mother
    board.
    > > no problem. i removed the hard drive and attached it as a secondary
    hard
    > > drive (through USB connection). when i try to access the documents and
    > > settings folder, i see the profile i want to access but clicking on it
    gives
    > > me an access denied message.
    > > there was a logon password for the computer. does this have anything to
    do
    > > with why i cannot access the folder?
    > > if so, is there a way to remove the password so i can access it or a
    > > place/way to enter the password?
    > >
    > > All help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > thank you
    > >
    > > Lorne

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP