IF blogs and bloggers and points of interest?

Greetings all,

I pop in once in awhile but have just been too busy to chat
much here in the group, but I do try and contribute by keeping my
Kronos project (interp for Palm OS) alive and up to date :)

I've only recently started blogging and paying attention to
blogs (while I watched a few like Slashdot and I, Cringley etc, I never
paid much attention to RSS feeds as I've just been too busy. But I
decided to drop into the podcasting and rss worlds awhile back...) I've
always had an enormous level of respect for the IF authors, reviewers,
supporters and fellow players -- I follow SPAG immensely,
follow the IF contests each year, try my hand at an adventure or two here
or there when I get a moment, etc. and have always found the
group members here to be a higher caliber than in other more traditional
'gamer hangouts'. Perhaps the literary background or rigour in creating
a good adventure turns my crank, or perhaps its just the smaller
community size has caused it to be a more charming group than many others.
(Hmm, perhaps it is the size.. the 'net does make it easy to hang about
with others of like interests and I do hang about in all sorts of small
retro communities...)

Anyway, my thought was this --

Are there any IF blogs? (aside from the IFWiki perhaps)? Any
IF authors here keeping blogs? Anyone talking about IF in their blogs?
And what blogs are you guys following, unrelated to IF?

I thought perhaps it could be fascinating to see what blogs
others are following.

My simple blog is here:
http://www.codejedi.com/cgi-bin/blog.cgi

Most of the blogs I follow are topical and technical to mobile
development or coding so I'm afraid aren't likely too interesting.. but
I do list a small subset of interesting folks there on my blog:

Ben Combee
PocketGoddess
JoelOnSoftware
Bruce Schneier
Wil Wheaton
I, Cringely
WritingOnYourPalm
PocketFactory
Dan Gillmor

jeff

--
"Have you played Atari today?"
7 answers Last reply

    Jeff Mitchell wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I pop in once in awhile but have just been too busy to chat
    > much here in the group, but I do try and contribute by keeping my
    > Kronos project (interp for Palm OS) alive and up to date :)
    >
    > I've only recently started blogging and paying attention to
    > blogs (while I watched a few like Slashdot and I, Cringley etc, I never
    > paid much attention to RSS feeds as I've just been too busy. But I

    [snip]

    Hi there,

    Some time (too much i know) i launched the idea of a IFReviews website,
    where if reviewers would add their own ifreviews of if games.

    With that you wrote in mind, IFReviews.org has a RSS feed, where the
    users reading/subscribing it, will receive notices of:

    - New IFReviews added
    - New IFReviewers
    - News about the site itself
    - News about New Games added
    - News about competitions results (hopefully first will be IFComp05)

    While all this is not related to the blog aspect of your post, it is in
    fact related to some sort of RSS feedback about the IF community, at
    least to part of it.

    BTW, well chosen weblayout, is it based on 'Kubrick' by Michael Heilemann?

    And good content also ;)

    Kind Regards,
    RootShell

    --
    RootShell, Lisbon, Portugal, Europe, Earth ;)
    To protect against spam, the address in the "From:" header is not valid.

    Although it doesn't concern itself with only IF, Grand Text Auto is
    definitely worth keeping up with:
    http://grandtextauto.gatech.edu/index.php

    - joshua h
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    RootShell <Root@Shell> writes:

    > Some time (too much i know) i launched the idea of a IFReviews website,
    > where if reviewers would add their own ifreviews of if games.

    I think you forgot the url - must be: http://www.ifreviews.org/
    and not the .com version which I guessed at first.

    > With that you wrote in mind, IFReviews.org has a RSS feed, where the
    > users reading/subscribing it, will receive notices of:

    Wheres the rss feed on the site?

    BTW, I'm glad you did this; I briefly looked into such a site a year
    or so back, but quickly got embroiled in a few things .. I had considered
    ripping through rgif and SPAG and other sources to find existing reviews
    but quickly found a number of people were opposed to such methods (ie: the
    review authors would need to indiviudally be asked, and the terms of the
    original sites reviewed, etc) so it just seemed like too much work and
    politickiing for me :) -- I had wanted to collect piles of reviews so that
    people could more easily find games to play, but with other very good
    sites having the rating systems and such. I find it difficult to chose which
    games to play myself, but if you've no time to do the research you've likely
    not enough time to play either ;)

    You're soliciting new reviews only for your site? Perhaps link them
    over to the rating site (I forget its name off the top of my head.
    Apologies :)

    > While all this is not related to the blog aspect of your post, it is in
    > fact related to some sort of RSS feedback about the IF community, at
    > least to part of it.

    This is part of what I'm looking for and perhaps the existing
    resources can also hook up such a beast -- it would be cool to run through
    my RSS feeds once in awhile (on my PDA for instance) and see a list of
    recently posted new games or reviews or the like, with links right to the
    files in question. Like podcasting..

    I'll pretend to coin a term: IFcasting :)

    > BTW, well chosen weblayout, is it based on 'Kubrick' by Michael Heilemann?

    I think at some point it must have been; rather, not being on top
    of CSS as much as I'd like I looked around for sources to swipe from of
    course, and liberally cut from a few existing stylesheets; one of them looks
    like it was very much in turn cut from Kubrick (I wasn't aware of Kubrick's
    origins until you mentioned them), so I would bet half or more
    of my CSS is at some point derived from it. My stylesheets do need some
    pollish, but they're not too too bad .. I'd like to fiddle with the font
    sizing (especially as seen in various browsers) so the titling isn't so
    drastic. (And I wish IE would properly support png...)

    > And good content also ;)

    Content? Who needs it :) I'm still new and 'finding my voice', but
    I think I'm brushing up on my public writing skills a touch, and some few
    people have said they like the blog so far. I like to think that I have
    some unique experience and perspectives to offer due to my long emulation
    and mobile coding timelines..

    Cheers,

    jeff

    --
    "Have you played Atari today?"
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Jeff Mitchell wrote:
    > Are there any IF blogs? (aside from the IFWiki perhaps)? Any
    > IF authors here keeping blogs? Anyone talking about IF in their blogs?
    > And what blogs are you guys following, unrelated to IF?

    I note that someone else has already pointed you to GrandTextAuto.
    While my own blog covers many topics, when I do blog about IF it
    appears here: http://jerz.setonhill.edu/weblog/categories/Games.html

    Every so often I just throw "Zork" or "interactive fiction" into
    Technorati's search box and see what comes up.

    And I also have some online resources about IF, with a kind of anchor
    article here: http://jerz.setonhill.edu/if/

    Dennis G. Jerz
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    "Jeff Mitchell" <skeezix@fw.skeleton.org> skrev i melding

    > Are there any IF blogs? (aside from the IFWiki perhaps)?

    Renga in Blue is an if blog: http://bluerenga.blogspot.com/
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    "Jan Thorsby" <no_jthorsby_spam@broadpark.no> writes:

    > "Jeff Mitchell" <skeezix@fw.skeleton.org> skrev i melding
    > >

    > > Are there any IF blogs? (aside from the IFWiki perhaps)?
    >
    > Renga in Blue is an if blog: http://bluerenga.blogspot.com/

    Thanks Jan and Prof. Jerz .. keep 'em coming :)

    Renga may be dead, or is at least slow -- a number of posts in
    February and a couple in March and nada since. Still, I'll give them a read.

    I'll have to see what Jerz has to say about the world..

    jeff

    "Have you played Atari today?"
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Jeff Mitchell wrote:

    [snip]

    > I think you forgot the url - must be: http://www.ifreviews.org/
    > and not the .com version which I guessed at first.

    Hi Jeff,

    I didnt forgot the url, i just didnt mention it intentionaly, due to:

    1st) Not wanting to selfpromote the site.
    2nd) The site it's still very far from complete.
    3rd) There are a lot of things changing every minute.
    4th) When it's ready for public use, it will be announced properly
    (beta-testers can apply emailing me).

    Thanks for searching for it anyway, and finding it :)

    > Wheres the rss feed on the site?

    If you look closely at the bottom of the first page, you'll find a samll
    "IFF RSS" orange logo, clicking on it, gives you a RSS 2.0 feed.

    To add it to your favorite RSS feed reader, please use the following
    url: "http://www.ifreviews.org/RSSIFR.php" (both article summary/web
    page content are covered)

    But please remember that *everything* is still in beta-testing, and so
    is the RSS feed, further informations will be added :)

    > You're soliciting new reviews only for your site? Perhaps link them
    > over to the rating site (I forget its name off the top of my head.
    > Apologies :)

    The main reason for this website existance is to bring together the IF
    reviewers/players community and not to promote any sort of personal
    'vanity', so it's not my site, it's is our site.

    It's free (and will always be) and it will contain whatever IFReviews
    the IFReviewers decide to add, as long as some common sense is used.

    IFReviews.org will gather IFReviews (with their own IFRating) in his own
    internal database, so no external database information will ever be
    used/crawled/ripped.

    But it will allow IFReviewers (should they wish to or not) to add a
    direct link to their/other websites reviews.

    The games database is updated based on every little piece of information
    i can access, and it's not a FULL RIP of any other site.

    > This is part of what I'm looking for and perhaps the existing
    > resources can also hook up such a beast -- it would be cool to run through
    > my RSS feeds once in awhile (on my PDA for instance) and see a list of
    > recently posted new games or reviews or the like, with links right to the
    > files in question. Like podcasting..

    The new games, IFReviews launch announces are already in the current RSS
    feed, as for the New IFReviewers, IF News, IF Competitions Announces,
    they are also in the making ;)

    > I'll pretend to coin a term: IFcasting :)

    The term IFCasting is quite appealing, but keeping with the RSS
    terminology (im not sure if this is how it's called), i have decided to
    keep the RSS letters but add a meaningfull IFR upfront.

    The grand official opening of IFReviews is schedule for the day after
    the announces of the 2005 Interactive Fiction Competition.

    If everything goes well, IFReviewers registration will start some days
    earlier using a surprise method... More on this as time runs out.

    Please bare with me, im a single NON PHP programmer, learning PHP and
    adding everything to a ever growing database, which means that
    everything is done from scratch.

    This project development started a few months ago, but it's done in my
    little free time, so some areas are still in very early stage of
    implementation.

    Any feedback is welcome of couse.

    Thanks for reading , this small self-promotion ;)

    --
    RootShell, Lisbon, Portugal, Europe, Earth ;)
    To protect against spam, the address in the "From:" header is not valid.
    In any case, you should reply to the group so that everyone can benefit.
    If you must send me a private email, use -> RootShell AT netcabo DOT pt

Video Games