Explorer not working: SP1

July 11, 2005 6:53:42 PM

I just repaired the wwwcoolsearch adrware infestation I just had.
Now, after restart, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are not working.
I can access and view all of my other programs via TaskManager, but Windows
XP programs are not working (Control Panel, Run...., Windows Explorer).

Are there any tools I can use to fix my XP Explorer issues?

I dare note Restore, because I haven't created a restore point for weeks due
to history of fighting viruses that have lingered in the Restores of old.

More about : explorer working sp1

July 11, 2005 7:26:03 PM

best suggestion....backup your data...format the drive....reinstall windows
and applications...if you've had that many problems with viruses and spyware,
etc. who knows what problems you may encounter. nuke and pave...

"General Electrico" wrote:

> I just repaired the wwwcoolsearch adrware infestation I just had.
> Now, after restart, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are not working.
> I can access and view all of my other programs via TaskManager, but Windows
> XP programs are not working (Control Panel, Run...., Windows Explorer).
>
> Are there any tools I can use to fix my XP Explorer issues?
>
> I dare note Restore, because I haven't created a restore point for weeks due
> to history of fighting viruses that have lingered in the Restores of old.
July 11, 2005 7:55:42 PM

Kelly wrote:

> best suggestion....backup your data...format the drive....reinstall
> windows and applications...if you've had that many problems with
> viruses and spyware, etc. who knows what problems you may encounter.
> nuke and pave...

Here comes the troll again with another useless, dangerous post.

> "General Electrico" wrote:
>
>> I just repaired the wwwcoolsearch adrware infestation I just had.
>> Now, after restart, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are not
>> working. I can access and view all of my other programs via
>> TaskManager, but Windows XP programs are not working (Control Panel,
>> Run...., Windows Explorer).
>>
>> Are there any tools I can use to fix my XP Explorer issues?
>>
>> I dare note Restore, because I haven't created a restore point for
>> weeks due to history of fighting viruses that have lingered in the
>> Restores of old.

To the OP - Your first order of business is to back up your important
data. There are various ways of doing this even if you can't get into
Windows. It just depends on your skill-level and what tech tools you
have available.

1. Slave the drive in a working XP box and copy the data off to the
working machine's hard drive, or

2. Boot with Knoppix, a Linux distro on a live cd. You will need a
computer with two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb
drive with enough capacity to hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need
a computer with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning
software. Download the Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create
your bootable cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the
Windows files. If you are using the usb thumb drive, right-click on its
icon (on the Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that
says "Read Only". Then click on it to open it. Note that the default
mouse action in the window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single
click to open instead of the traditional MS Windows' double-click.
Otherwise, use the K3b burning program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

After you've backed up your data, if you are sure your computer is 100%
virus and malware-free, first run the System File Checker:

Start>Run sfc /scannow

You will need your XP cd.

If that doesn't work, try a Repair Install. If you are still having
problems after the Repair Install, then I would wipe the drive and
clean install Windows. XP is far more robust than earlier MS operating
systems and almost never has to be clean-installed. A format/clean
install is done as the last resort, not the first. Here are links
explaining both types of installs:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair Install
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install

Since I don't know your skill-level, let me say that if this all seems
like its not your cup of tea, take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and
have them get your data and fix the computer. There is no shame in
doing this - I don't hesitate to take my car to the mechanic.

Good luck,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I am not a "troll" and without knowing the expertise of the person who asked
the question I try to refrain from asking them to take apart their case. And
if the person were to call MS for support they would be told the same thing.
If you don't like what someone has to post you don't have to be ignorant
about it, but I suppose that's just your way.

"Malke" wrote:

> [...]
>
> If that doesn't work, try a Repair Install. If you are still having
> problems after the Repair Install, then I would wipe the drive and
> clean install Windows. XP is far more robust than earlier MS operating
> systems and almost never has to be clean-installed. A format/clean
> install is done as the last resort, not the first. Here are links
> explaining both types of installs:
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair Install
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install
>
> Since I don't know your skill-level, let me say that if this all seems
> like its not your cup of tea, take the machine to a professional
> computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and
> have them get your data and fix the computer. There is no shame in
> doing this - I don't hesitate to take my car to the mechanic.

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:58:24 PM

In news:6CC6D7CD-5838-4C91-B436-7D7076B686F2@microsoft.com,
Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I am not a "troll"

I'm not sure whether or not you're a troll, but you're a person
who has butted into these newsgroups using the same posting name
as another well-regarded participant here. You've been asked
multiple times by multiple people including me, not to do this,
and to modify your posts to add a last initial or do something to
differentiate yourself from the well-known Kelly here.

Not only have you refused to accede to this very reasonable
request, you haven't even shown the common courtesy of replying
to the many such requests you've had.

You may or may not be a troll, but you're far worse--a rude
ignorant person.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> [...]
>> clean install Windows. XP is far more robust than earlier MS
>> operating systems and almost never has to be clean-installed.
>> format/clean install is done as the last resort, not the
>> first. Here
>> are links explaining both types of installs:
>>
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair
>> Install http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html -
>> Clean
>> Install
>>
>> Since I don't know your skill-level, let me say that if this
>> all
>> seems like its not your cup of tea, take the machine to a
>> professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent
>> of
>> BigStoreUSA) and have them get your data and fix the computer.
>> There
>> is no shame in doing this - I don't hesitate to take my car to

July 11, 2005 11:56:01 PM

Pardon me warden Blake but had I read the posts I would have added an
initial. By not adding anything as Kelly of Kellys Korner does, I figured
that would have been a clue that I am not her. I do not post misleading
information, I am not here to participate in nagging flame wars. Nor am I
ignorant. Thank you ever so much for opening my eyes to the fact that some
people in this newsgroup feel only their opinion can be correct.
Kelly
*DISCLAIMER*
I am not, nor do I pretend to be, Kelly of Kelly's Korner.

"General Electrico" wrote:

> I just repaired the wwwcoolsearch adrware infestation I just had.
> Now, after restart, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are not working.
> I can access and view all of my other programs via TaskManager, but Windows
> XP programs are not working (Control Panel, Run...., Windows Explorer).
>
> Are there any tools I can use to fix my XP Explorer issues?
>
> I dare note Restore, because I haven't created a restore point for weeks due
> to history of fighting viruses that have lingered in the Restores of old.
July 12, 2005 12:10:55 AM

If you can follow the long winded advice below and want to go through all
that bs AND you are tech savvy , good luck. I would save all my important
files and re install XP, in about an hour(not including your apps) your
done.

"General Electrico" <General Electrico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:55F40D42-4106-472B-A5A3-58878CA2221A@microsoft.com...
>I just repaired the wwwcoolsearch adrware infestation I just had.
> Now, after restart, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are not
> working.
> I can access and view all of my other programs via TaskManager, but
> Windows
> XP programs are not working (Control Panel, Run...., Windows Explorer).
>
> Are there any tools I can use to fix my XP Explorer issues?
>
> I dare note Restore, because I haven't created a restore point for weeks
> due
> to history of fighting viruses that have lingered in the Restores of old.
July 12, 2005 12:10:56 AM

Be careful about saying that Jim, I got a lashing for it.

Kelly D

"Jim" wrote:

> If you can follow the long winded advice below and want to go through all
> that bs AND you are tech savvy , good luck. I would save all my important
> files and re install XP, in about an hour(not including your apps) your
> done.
>
> "General Electrico" <General Electrico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:55F40D42-4106-472B-A5A3-58878CA2221A@microsoft.com...
> >I just repaired the wwwcoolsearch adrware infestation I just had.
> > Now, after restart, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are not
> > working.
> > I can access and view all of my other programs via TaskManager, but
> > Windows
> > XP programs are not working (Control Panel, Run...., Windows Explorer).
> >
> > Are there any tools I can use to fix my XP Explorer issues?
> >
> > I dare note Restore, because I haven't created a restore point for weeks
> > due
> > to history of fighting viruses that have lingered in the Restores of old.

July 12, 2005 3:04:10 AM

Do you own this news group? No you don't. The "other" Kelly has a signature
that easily differentiates herself from others and you know it does. This is
not a question of being rude as she has not responded to your "requests"
because it is not your place to request her to do so in the first place.
This is the epitome of ignorance, thinking your something your not.
> [...]
>>>
>>> If that doesn't work, try a Repair Install. If you are still having
>>> problems after the Repair Install, then I would wipe the drive and
>>> clean install Windows. XP is far more robust than earlier MS
>>> operating systems and almost never has to be clean-installed. A
>>> format/clean install is done as the last resort, not the first. Here
>>> are links explaining both types of installs:
>>>
>>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair
>>> Install http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean
>>> Install
>>>
>>> Since I don't know your skill-level, let me say that if this all
>>> seems like its not your cup of tea, take the machine to a
>>> professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of
>>> BigStoreUSA) and have them get your data and fix the computer. There
>>> is no shame in doing this - I don't hesitate to take my car to the

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:01:08 AM

After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Kelly had this to say:

> I am not a "troll" and without knowing the expertise of the person who
> asked the question I try to refrain from asking them to take apart their
> case. And if the person were to call MS for support they would be told the
> same thing. If you don't like what someone has to post you don't have to
> be ignorant about it, but I suppose that's just your way.

How dare you speak that way about elephantboy! Didn't you see his
(elephantboy's) picture on her website? That's what a professional computer
tech looks like! Especially one that has to deal with problem solving a toy
operating system like XP.

--
Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus

Kelly wrote:

> Pardon me warden Blake but had I read the posts I would have added an
> initial. By not adding anything as Kelly of Kellys Korner does, I
> figured that would have been a clue that I am not her. I do not post
> misleading information, I am not here to participate in nagging flame
> wars. Nor am I ignorant. Thank you ever so much for opening my eyes to
> the fact that some people in this newsgroup feel only their opinion
> can be correct. Kelly
> *DISCLAIMER*
> I am not, nor do I pretend to be, Kelly of Kelly's Korner.

What do you mean "had I read the posts"? You've had many, many posts
about this issue and you've replied to none of them except this one.
And you *do* give bad advice - your first response is usually to tell
the OP to format/clean install Windows. This is almost never necessary
and you are telling this to people who may not understand that
following your advice will wipe their hard drive and they will lose all
their data.

I've said this before - in some of the many posts to you that we now
know you didn't read - perhaps the reason you are having problems
following the post-response-post format is that you are using the web
interface to Usenet, which is awful. Learn to use a newsreader. Google
for "Usenet" and you'll get plenty of information. Use Google Groups
even get lots of links to articles to help you.

When you do tech support properly, your first rule should be "do no
harm". So, if you're not a troll then clean up your act.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:20:02 PM

In news:A4989A32-8415-49F4-9DE7-ADF3EC63EAAF@microsoft.com,
Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Pardon me warden Blake but had I read the posts I would have
> added an
> initial.

Are you telling me that you haven't read *any* of the *many*
posts asking you to do something like that? That's very hard to
believe, but since you are using the Microsoft web-based
interface to participate in the newsgroup--the slowest,
clunkiest, most error-prone method there is--I suppose it's
possible. You might want to do yourself a favor and switch to a
newsreader, such as Outlook Express, which comes with Windows.
See http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...

At any rate, you've now read the posts. Go ahead and add an
initial.

Please reply to the newsgroup
July 12, 2005 4:18:16 PM

Kelly (not Theriot),
Arrogant, elitist know-it-alls. That is what you are dealing with here.
Ignore these people as they can not even imagine being wrong, so what ever
your argument it will fall on deaf ears. Just keep on truckin'

"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Pardon me warden Blake but had I read the posts I would have added an
> initial. By not adding anything as Kelly of Kellys Korner does, I figured
> that would have been a clue that I am not her. I do not post misleading
> information, I am not here to participate in nagging flame wars. Nor am I
> ignorant. Thank you ever so much for opening my eyes to the fact that some
> people in this newsgroup feel only their opinion can be correct.
> Kelly
> *DISCLAIMER*
> I am not, nor do I pretend to be, Kelly of Kelly's Korner.
>

> "General Electrico" wrote:
>
>> I just repaired the wwwcoolsearch adrware infestation I just had.
>> Now, after restart, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are not
>> working.
>> I can access and view all of my other programs via TaskManager, but
>> Windows
>> XP programs are not working (Control Panel, Run...., Windows Explorer).
>>
>> Are there any tools I can use to fix my XP Explorer issues?
>>
>> I dare note Restore, because I haven't created a restore point for weeks
>> due
>> to history of fighting viruses that have lingered in the Restores of old.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:43:12 PM

Look, mr. "Kelly". You are, indeed, an usurpator of identity, and your
"arguments" make you even more obnoxious. I like to read the real Kelly's
excellent advices, but I cannot know if it his him or your stolen identity
before opening the message. So you are, indeed, a pain in the neck. You
could easily change your nickname, if you weren't from the start evil
meaning.
I am simply putting you on a filter.
Juan
PS: sorry for my stuttering English. It is the best I can do.

"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Pardon me warden Blake but had I read the posts I would have added an
> initial. By not adding anything as Kelly of Kellys Korner does, I figured
> that would have been a clue that I am not her. I do not post misleading
> information, I am not here to participate in nagging flame wars. Nor am I
> ignorant. Thank you ever so much for opening my eyes to the fact that some
> people in this newsgroup feel only their opinion can be correct.
> Kelly
> *DISCLAIMER*
> I am not, nor do I pretend to be, Kelly of Kelly's Korner.
>

> "General Electrico" wrote:
>
>> I just repaired the wwwcoolsearch adrware infestation I just had.
>> Now, after restart, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are not
>> working.
>> I can access and view all of my other programs via TaskManager, but
>> Windows
>> XP programs are not working (Control Panel, Run...., Windows Explorer).
>>
>> Are there any tools I can use to fix my XP Explorer issues?
>>
>> I dare note Restore, because I haven't created a restore point for weeks
>> due
>> to history of fighting viruses that have lingered in the Restores of old.
July 12, 2005 8:43:13 PM

Hey stupid, Kelly Theriot's sig would say what? And this Kelly's sig is
what? Come on you can figure it out, or sadly maybe you can't?

"Juan Moreira" <Juan@salta.ar> wrote in message
> Look, mr. "Kelly". You are, indeed, an usurpator of identity, and your
> "arguments" make you even more obnoxious. I like to read the real Kelly's
> excellent advices, but I cannot know if it his him or your stolen identity
> before opening the message. So you are, indeed, a pain in the neck. You
> could easily change your nickname, if you weren't from the start evil
> meaning.
> I am simply putting you on a filter.
> Juan
> PS: sorry for my stuttering English. It is the best I can do.
>
> "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Pardon me warden Blake but had I read the posts I would have added an
>> initial. By not adding anything as Kelly of Kellys Korner does, I figured
>> that would have been a clue that I am not her. I do not post misleading
>> information, I am not here to participate in nagging flame wars. Nor am I
>> ignorant. Thank you ever so much for opening my eyes to the fact that
>> some
>> people in this newsgroup feel only their opinion can be correct.
>> Kelly
>> *DISCLAIMER*
>> I am not, nor do I pretend to be, Kelly of Kelly's Korner.
>>

>> "General Electrico" wrote:
>>
>>> I just repaired the wwwcoolsearch adrware infestation I just had.
>>> Now, after restart, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are not
>>> working.
>>> I can access and view all of my other programs via TaskManager, but
>>> Windows
>>> XP programs are not working (Control Panel, Run...., Windows Explorer).
>>>
>>> Are there any tools I can use to fix my XP Explorer issues?
>>>
>>> I dare note Restore, because I haven't created a restore point for weeks
>>> due
>>> to history of fighting viruses that have lingered in the Restores of
>>> old.

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:34:50 PM

Thank you, "jim". Two filters to set is not much more difficult than one.
Juan

"Jim" <Nbvii@oopy.com> wrote in message
> Hey stupid, Kelly Theriot's sig would say what? And this Kelly's sig is
> what? Come on you can figure it out, or sadly maybe you can't?
>
> "Juan Moreira" <Juan@salta.ar> wrote in message
>> Look, mr. "Kelly". You are, indeed, an usurpator of identity, and your
>> "arguments" make you even more obnoxious. I like to read the real Kelly's
>> excellent advices, but I cannot know if it his him or your stolen
>> identity before opening the message. So you are, indeed, a pain in the
>> neck. You could easily change your nickname, if you weren't from the
>> start evil meaning.
>> I am simply putting you on a filter.
>> Juan
>> PS: sorry for my stuttering English. It is the best I can do.
>>
>> "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Pardon me warden Blake but had I read the posts I would have added an
>>> initial. By not adding anything as Kelly of Kellys Korner does, I
>>> figured
>>> that would have been a clue that I am not her. I do not post misleading
>>> information, I am not here to participate in nagging flame wars. Nor am
>>> ignorant. Thank you ever so much for opening my eyes to the fact that
>>> some
>>> people in this newsgroup feel only their opinion can be correct.
>>> Kelly
>>> *DISCLAIMER*
>>> I am not, nor do I pretend to be, Kelly of Kelly's Korner.

July 12, 2005 11:34:51 PM

Gee, for someone who "dosn't *speak* english" well. you convey the nuances
without difficulty. Hmm. How about three filters?

!