Remote Desktop Connection

July 11, 2005 7:22:51 PM

I've been trying to use Remote Desktop to connect from my home computer
to my office network's machines. I've followed all the instructions
here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...

except for the part where it talks about getting a "virtual private
network connection". Not sure if I have this part done right. Not
even sure if this is the problem. Is there something that needs to be
set up before being able to connect from a home computer to an office
machine? Thanks for any help.

This is the error from Remote Desktop:

The client could not connect to the remote computer.

Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too
busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network
problems are preventing your connection.
July 11, 2005 8:01:10 PM

manfred.lau@gmail.com wrote:

> I've been trying to use Remote Desktop to connect from my home
> computer
> to my office network's machines. I've followed all the instructions
> here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...

> except for the part where it talks about getting a "virtual private
> network connection". Not sure if I have this part done right. Not
> even sure if this is the problem. Is there something that needs to be
> set up before being able to connect from a home computer to an office
> machine? Thanks for any help.
>
> This is the error from Remote Desktop:

> The client could not connect to the remote computer.
>
> Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too
> busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network
> problems are preventing your connection.

Your office computer has to be available with the necessary ports
opened. It sounds like there is a firewall in place that hasn't been
configured to allow remote connections Since you haven't told us
anything about your office setup, its not possible to be more specific.
Is it a large office with a domain and an IT staff? If so, and they are
doing their jobs, the network will be locked down against unauthorized
outside access. You'll need to talk to the IT people about what you
want to do.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hello,

Of the top of my head, before you try to use RDP to connect to your work computer remotely, ask the
network admin at your workplace if the required ports are open or not. Many corporate networks have
strict network policies and apart form the most common ports, most of the other ports are
firewalled. Also make sure that the host computer has remote desktop enabled:

1) Right-click on My Computer and select properties
2) Flip to the 'Remote' tab.
3) Put a check next to "Allow user to connect remotely..."

Remote desktop uses TCP port 3389.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<manfred.lau@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to use Remote Desktop to connect from my home computer
> to my office network's machines. I've followed all the instructions
> here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...
>
> except for the part where it talks about getting a "virtual private
> network connection". Not sure if I have this part done right. Not
> even sure if this is the problem. Is there something that needs to be
> set up before being able to connect from a home computer to an office
> machine? Thanks for any help.
>
> This is the error from Remote Desktop:

> The client could not connect to the remote computer.
>
> Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too
> busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network
> problems are preventing your connection.

July 12, 2005 6:49:34 AM

You may not necessarily need to use a VPN... However, you will need
to have the firewall adjusted to allow incoming connections. Talk to
your IT staff.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)