Sign in with
Your question

Help! BSOD Stop Code 0x000000f4

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 12, 2012 8:53:01 PM

I've been having a problem for months now where my mouse will still move but the background freezes and I am unable to click anything or ctrl-alt-del. This doesn't happen when I run games or applications, but rather randomly when I do things such as install or surf the web on Firefox. Sometimes it happens on the login screen and I cannot enter my password to log into window due to a frozen desktop. I cannot reproduce the problem reliably because no specific thing I do causes a crash. Eventually, the system inevitably BSODs always with the same stop code 0x000000f4. This computer is a laptop.

Video Card: NVidia GTX 580 M 2GB
Processor: Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2860 QM @ 2.5 gHz
Memory: 12 GB at 1600 mHz (2 sticks of 2GB, 2 sticks of 8GB added after purchase of the computer)
Hard Drive: 750 GB 3gb/s SATA HDD + 120GB Corsair 6gb/s SSD added after purchase)

I am going to run mem86 ASAP, but some of my research seems to suggest my hard drives are improperly configured. I boot off of the SSD, and when I installed it I simply plugged it into the second hard drive bay and booted windows 7 onto it and continued to use the HDD for storage. Tips on how to fix this? It's quite frustrating and has been persistent for a while.
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 12:18:49 PM

An easy one for a change!

Quote:
Bug Check 0x74: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

This bug check indicates that there is an error in the registry.

Running a registry scan might help (CCleaner does a reasonable job), but you might have to re-format.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 1:23:41 PM

The code may indicate that the registry is in error, but you have to ask why the registry is in error. The chances are you have a memory problem. Download and run memtest86 for at least three passes to test your memory.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 2:15:04 PM

I'm going to guess the memory you added doesn't match the memory you already had.

An easy test would be to remove the memory you added and see if yous till have the same problem.

m
l
September 13, 2012 6:29:43 PM

gamerk316 said:
An easy one for a change!

Quote:
Bug Check 0x74: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

This bug check indicates that there is an error in the registry.

Running a registry scan might help (CCleaner does a reasonable job), but you might have to re-format.

Where are you seeing this? My stop code is 0x000000f4. How is this relevant?
m
l
September 13, 2012 6:30:01 PM

geekapproved said:
I'm going to guess the memory you added doesn't match the memory you already had.

An easy test would be to remove the memory you added and see if yous till have the same problem.

Yeah my memory is mismatched both in manufacturer and capacity...I have a pair of 2GB sticks stock from dell and a pair of 4GB sticks by Corsair. All are clocked at 1600 mhz though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 7:14:45 PM

Are they the same timings and voltage? You cant just buy 1600mhz ram and match it up, they must match in timings and voltage.
m
l
September 13, 2012 9:15:49 PM

geekapproved said:
Are they the same timings and voltage? You cant just buy 1600mhz ram and match it up, they must match in timings and voltage.

I actually have no idea because I don't have the specs for the ram the computer shipped with. Chances are they aren't the same.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 10:40:58 PM

The specs are usually on a sticker on the ram.
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:19:54 AM

memtest showed no errors, so I'll pull out the non matching set and see what happens.
m
l
!